Is Dick Cheney a Terrorist? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2004, 08:14 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
Dick Cheney is a dangerous man.

He has been a notoriously shady businessman for many years (remember his ties to Halliburton?) and has attempted to live above the law of the land while VP.

Do some research on Dick Cheney and you will discover what a POTENTIAL THREAT to peace and democracy in the world and to the future of the USA HE IS!
Instead of posting inflamatory remarks, why don't you post some of your research that supports your statements.

Old 09-08-2004, 08:25 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:53 PM
Do a google search.... and make up your own mind. Even better is http://www.ixquick.com

The truth is out there if you want to know it.

Remember, I live in Texas, so Dick Cheney is well-known for his underhandedness in business and in politics here.

Again, I wish you all well.

Old 09-08-2004, 08:30 AM   #18
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:53 PM
there are probably 50 or so contracting companies similar to halliburton on the fortune 500. however, they were given a no-bid contract for iraq... "no-bid" is probably one of the most un-american phrases possible, expecially when the government (SEC) spends a lot of time to make sure the market is a fair playing field. i refuse to believe it is just a coincidence that the current vice president used to be the CEO of the company that was given (yes, GIVEN) the contract. Even if it breaks no laws and is perfectly legal, it's still highly un-American. (Even when roads are built in my town there are usually 3 or 4 big corporations and 1 or 2 smaller/local companies that bid for the projects...and the city choses the best deal for the people who are actually paying for it -- like me)
Old 09-08-2004, 08:39 AM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:53 PM
the halliburton deal is sketchy at best, even i'll admit. to say that cheney had nothing to do with them getting the deal would just be naive. but that aisde, they are the biggest and best at what they do... it's not like they gave all this money to some mom and pop operation that cheney used to run. if bill gates was VP, would we not expect microsoft to get software deals just because of gates? or would we expect that biggest and best company to get it?

that said, the contract still should've been bid on... and then when halliburton won that bid, the dems can still blame it all on cheney it's a never ending circus.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:07 AM   #20
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 08:53 PM
By "googeling" i found three nice links:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...tonprimer.html

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/busin...on_020719.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in575356.shtml

Quote:
Halliburton came under fire in the early '90s for supplying Libya and Iraq with oil drilling equipment which could be used to detonate nuclear weapons. Halliburton Logging Services, a former subsidiary, was charged with shipping six pulse neutron generators through Italy to Libya. In 1995, the company pled guilty to criminal charges that it violated the U.S. ban on exports to Libya.

Quote:
Halliburton has contracts worth more than $1.7 billion for its work in Iraq, and it could make hundreds of millions more from a no-bid contract it was awarded by the Army Corps of Engineers, The Washington Post has reported.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:09 AM   #21
Acrobat

it's not always the case that the largest corporations win all bids... back to my local roads analogy...a lot of smaller companies focus all of their resources on a few bids, whereas large corporations are spread thin among many. and who's to say who will do the best job? surely the other companies don't believe halliburton to be the best...especially when they are currently being investigated for breaking US corporation registration laws ("international headquarters" in the cayman islands where not a single employee works). but back to the topic at hand...it can easily be argued that bush/cheney are promoting terrorism by attacking Iraq/Afghanistan. I understand that Bush/Cheney are probably more robust in their approach to terrorism; meaning they would always use force faster than Kerry would (and being an American I do feel safe when America destroys anything that is rumnoured to be a threat). However, isn't that just angering more people? We already know that many terrorists act independently from a "central command" ... so IMO I think we need more "James Bond" than "Terminator."
Old 09-08-2004, 09:24 AM   #22
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Headache

Well if they are the best they don't need no-bid contracts. I (And i'm sure the mayority of the American people) think the free market works better than the planed marked and because of that we should find out why companies get no bid contracts and if there is any relationship to people who worked for that company and now have the power to bypass the common system "the best bid get the job"
Old 09-08-2004, 09:58 AM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
Headache

Well if they are the best they don't need no-bid contracts. I (And i'm sure the mayority of the American people) think the free market works better than the planed marked and because of that we should find out why companies get no bid contracts and if there is any relationship to people who worked for that company and now have the power to bypass the common system "the best bid get the job"
didn't i say that? or are you just picking the parts of my post that are more suited towards your argument again?
Old 09-08-2004, 10:15 AM   #24
Refugee

Headache
this was linked to "they are the biggest and best at what they do"
So my thought was, IF they are the best, they don't have to be afraid of competition
Old 09-08-2004, 10:35 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Before we get all bunched up over Halliburton, take a look at the whole "no-bid" process for government contracts. You may be surprised by what you find.

Quote:
In May, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) made revisions to the rules — known as OMB Circular A-76 — that would ease the restriction on private companies competing for government jobs.

But public service unions are fiercely opposed to competitive sourcing and have coordinated congressional lobbying efforts to repeal A-76 with appropriations riders. In addition, the American Federation of Government Employees has filed lawsuits against A-76.
Democrats do not want competative bidding at home, just in Iraq when it involves Halliburton....
Old 09-08-2004, 10:46 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Also, don't believe everything fed to you by Moveon.org
Old 09-08-2004, 11:19 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Vice President Dick Cheney's charge that the United States could be hit by another terrorist attack if Democrat John Kerry is elected president was irresponsible, former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright said.

"I have heard a lot of outrageous statements at various times in my president's elections, but I think this kind of scare tactic by the vice president of the United States is irresponsible," Albright, a Democrat who served under Bill Clinton told CNN television.

September 11 "everybody knows, has changed a way that we are looking at fighting terrorism," Albright said.

"Senator Kerry has made very clear that he will seek a victory over the terrorists, and that this is a -- a battle that he will pursue with vigor. I just find this kind of a statement (by Cheney) over the top."
Old 09-08-2004, 11:56 AM   #28
War Child

Cheney's statement is just more condescension toward voters. I mean, the GOP and its supporters have been making this point throughout...it's the main wedge issue: we're tougher than the Dems on the war against terror. Did Dick think "ah, there are many dumbasses out there who still aren't getting our subtle messages...must lay it out in plain terms."?
Old 09-08-2004, 01:16 PM   #29
Blue Crack Distributor

what's the worse thing for kerry...
a) that cheney said it
or
b) a majority of americans believe it
Old 09-08-2004, 01:32 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

How do you know a majority of Americans believe that Headache?