Is Bush going to keep war going to ensure re-election? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2003, 09:29 PM   #76
The Fly

Local Time: 01:46 PM
Congratulations Diamond for derailing another thread about things that actually matter. You are a walking sick joke.

Old 04-21-2003, 10:10 PM   #77
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zedbetty
Congratulations Diamond for derailing another thread about things that actually matter. You are a walking sick joke.
Zedbetty-
I wont react to your mean spirited comment.

DB9

Old 04-22-2003, 08:48 PM   #78
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zedbetty
You are a walking sick joke.
Wow....ummmmm.....that is harsh, and personal.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:23 PM   #79
Babyface

You know, I am sick of people taking cheap shots at Diamond like that. His contributions to what is being said is no less useful than anybody else's, and it reflects a distinct lack of character when someone comes up with cheap nonsense like that.

Our President went to a war that had already begun a long time ago when he decided to act against the danger that was made obvious on 9/11, and it will continue as long as the need continues, as long as democracy across the world is threatened. No one likes war, but President Bush is doing the hardest and that most noble of things, and that is risking popularity, so that we can live in a safer world. You can cheapen that all you want, but you won't be able to cheapen his accomplishments in the long run.

Peace to all.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:00 AM   #80
The Fly

Yes, my comment was harsh, and yes it was personal. Got it in one. For the reasons behind the harshness, see my previous post. The US economy is NOT ok, and all Diamond and co. can talk about is friggin George Bush. What happens ten years from now? Eh?
Old 04-23-2003, 04:01 AM   #81
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 02:46 PM
John Milton:

lots of Diamonds posts are completely useless - i remember the 1000 posting just showing yet another picture of G.W.B. and some statements which had nothing to do with the thread at all.

I wouldn't have used the harsh words of Zedbetty, but i see the point that diamond dosn't discuss anymore, he just posts about his personal love to G.W. here and lots of the facts he presented here were simply untrue.

After he insulted the people against war in another thread he was the first and only person of FYM that went on my ignore-list

So back to the topic of this thread:

I don't think it was the mayor motivation of G.W.B. to ensure reelection when he started war, but i'm sure he isn't ignoring side effects or popularity boost through war times. I think his administration will remember this when they start the election compaign and they will talk to "patriot instincts" of the citizens.

I don't believe we need a long war for that, that's counter productive. I think about smarter moves. Maybe we will see new "facts" which are designed by advertising agencies shortly before the election which proof the success of the Iraq war?

(remember that the first Bush administration hired Hill & Knowlton to "convince" the senate and the UN pro Iraq war I with fake facts like the incubator story)

Klaus
Old 04-23-2003, 05:49 AM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Klaus,

The war in Iraq is already a huge success. Certainly there are those who were opposed to it who will attempt to make it look like something else and falsely accuse the administration of things.

A good friend of mine who spent nearly 6 months in Afghanistan in 2002 and now 4 months in Iraq Kuwait will be coming home in May. Another best friend should be home from Iraq by June. They are among the thousands of US soldiers that have been in Kuwait and Iraq. They know the real story of whats going on in Iraq.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:05 AM   #83
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Sting: i'm sure they know facts i don't know, but i'd never call it "the truth".
I know some verry honest men from the german "Wehrmacht" and they told me what they have seen and what the Nazi regime told them.
Believe me, they knew lots of things the average people didn't know, but several years after the war they learned that they didn't know verry much.

Don't get me wrong, i don't want to compare the Wehrmacht and the US military (i'm no military expert and i will never become one) all i wanted to show you is that just because you are in the front line you don't necessarily know the truth.
Not every time you try to protect human values you really do this - sometimes you support your president just because you don't know the facts.

And i don't think that anyone of us knows the real story of what's going on in this war against terrorism.

Klaus
Old 04-23-2003, 10:43 AM   #84
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:46 AM
Old 04-23-2003, 02:04 PM   #85
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 05:46 AM
Geez, how rude is it to talk about diamond like he's not even here? If you don't like his posts, by all means put him on your ignore list but why are personal attacks necessary? If you feel the need to put someone down, at least do it by PM or email.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:17 PM   #86
Refugee

Bono's American Wife:
If diamond wouldn't be here i would not talk like that, i prefer that the people whom i criticize can hear what i have to say. sadly there is no pm or e-mail contact possible for non-premium members.
I apologize if my words were to rude.

Klaus
Old 04-23-2003, 04:40 PM   #87
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 05:46 AM
I wasn't meaning you specifically Klaus and I'm sorry if it sounded that way.

I just don't like to see anyone here put down...even diamond. Constructive criticism is fine but personal attacks like "a walking sick joke" are not.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:46 PM   #88
ONE
love, blood, life

Yeh, I agree with Bono's American Wife. Personal attacks are definitely not okay. We should all try to keep discussions about the *ideas* rather than the person behind those ideas.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:47 AM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Klaus,

My friends are Captains in the US Marine Corp. One is A Cobra Helicopter Pilot that was involved in near continuous combat for a period of 3 weeks all over Iraq. The other is a combat engineer that has been involved with operations from building bridges, to blowing up forts, to taking down minefields, and rebuilding roads and other civilian infrastructure.

Their not at all like the Nazi military at all. They both are University educated like all officers in the US military and follow strict codes of conduct that do not allow targeted abuse or harm to come to civilians. Honesty is the most important trait that is emphasized among all Marines. Nothing gets an Officer kicked out of Officer Candidate school faster than a dishonest action of any kind. I know people who were turned down from being accepted to Officer Candidate School because of a possible dishonest statement on their application form. Honest and Integrity are most important. Following the Code of Conduct and other Orders is second.

They have a far better insight into what is going on in Iraq than the European Media. I know many Europeans are hoping for a scandal or something to go seriously wrong so as to justify their opposition to the war. But thats not happening nor will it happen.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:07 AM   #90
ONE
love, blood, life

STING,
Seriously - please stop stereotyping all "Europeans" - there are hundreds of millions of people on this continent and we're not all alike!!

And I'm not hoping for something to go wrong - I'd be delighted if Iraq really moves towards democracy and its people are given stability and access to essentials like healthcare and education. I'd be SO happy to see that happen because my opposition to this war was always based on a concern for the people of Iraq. I only want what is best for the Iraqi people.

Sadly I don't believe I'd have to wait for "something to go seriously wrong" anyway - there already have been serious problems. The looting of hospitals, for instance, and the theft of pricelesss treasures from Iraqi museums. The deaths of over a thousand innocent Iraqis was something "seriously wrong" but of course it was inevitable as soon as war begun.

And finally, STING, I'm not saying anything insulting about your friends who are in the military. I have a huge amount of respect for the people doing those jobs because I also have friends who are in the military or have been in the past and it sounds like an extremely difficult and important job.

Fizz