Is Bush going to keep war going to ensure re-election?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More of Bono's Bi-Partiasim- fetishes:up:
bono.jpg
:huh: :p

db3
:dance:

For heaven's sakes I've seen that pic of Bono and Naomi Judd in PLEBA.......no joke. Is this a plot to get women's votes for Bush??:laugh: :silent:

Listen ladies..
Bush is endearing to ppl because of his self effacing humor
and
that he relates to the everyman, like Clinton did.
Bono is endearing cuz he loves everybody.
Im endearing cuz im here and you all are enduring my silly antics:angry:

thank you-
db3
:angry:

huh?

Charisma scale

1................................10.................................off the charts

GWB :p ........................ Clinton ........................ Bono :D

Certainly morally I am disgusted by Clinton's antics, but I cannot deny he has charisma.

And no matter how many wars there are, "it's the economy, stupid!" :D

Regarding President Bush, I'm not his biggest fan, but I truly do admire his recognition that he had a drinking problem, and the fact that he got sober. I will always give anyone tremendous credit for that. :up:

Re: huh?

MrsSpringsteen said:

Regarding President Bush, I'm not his biggest fan, but I truly do admire his recognition that he had a drinking problem, and the fact that he got sober. I will always give anyone tremendous credit for that. :up:

Me too. I have a friend who's struggled with a drinking problem for basically his whole life so I've seen how very difficult it is to overcome and I have tremendous respect for anyone who has done so.

I don't know what speeches you're watching diamond, but the ones I watch are scary. Every time Bush gets to a big word I'm always thinking "c'mon man, you can do it. Sound it out. es-tab-i-lish-ment. good job!" That being said, Gore became charismatic after he lost the election so it goes both ways.

Back to reality, I don't care about style, swagger, sizzle or charisma, if your tax plan sucks and data is going down the tubes, you're screwed. Here is today's story from the Wall St. Journal about today's data release, and its looking pretty murky.
"An important gauge of future U.S. economic activity fell modestly last month, although more recent factors suggest the worst is over.
On Monday, the New York-based Conference Board reported its index of leading economic indicators dipped 0.2% in March, a slight improvement from the revised .05% decline a month earlier. The index is designed to indicate where the overall economy is headed in the next three to six months.
Half of the ten indicators that make up the leading index decreased in March. The largest negative factors were building permits and average weekly initial claims for unemployment insurance.
The lingering question is whether the economy's anemic growth, pushed down the past several months by worries over higher oil prices, the Iraq war and potential terrorist attacks, is related to more long lasting fundamental problems.
The Conference Board said the biggest threat to economic recovery is a continued decline in consumer spending, which has been bolstering the economy in the absence of new hiring and business investment. Slowing consumer spending coupled with delayed plans to increase business investment "has effectively extended the soft spot that the U.S. economy has been in," said Ken Goldstein, a Conference Board economist.
The good news is that the rapid end of combat in Iraq has reduced the risk of another recession. It will probably take months to know for sure if war jitters have been the economy's main restraint, or whether more entrenched obstacles, such as the unwinding of the stock and investment bubble of the 1990s, are to blame."

I agree, Sharky, it's bad politics to ignore the economy. If people don't have jobs they aren't going to give a damn about anyone's jokes, charisma, or other superfluous things. If it's really bad they'll spit out their guts on the incumbents. I remember all of the incumbents losing in 1992. Why? Economics. People may be more security conscious because of 9/11 but they still want jobs.

Re: huh?

MrsSpringsteen said:
Charisma scale

1................................10.................................off the charts

GWB :p ........................ Clinton ........................ Bono :D

Certainly morally I am disgusted by Clinton's antics, but I cannot deny he has charisma.

And no matter how many wars there are, "it's the economy, stupid!" :D

i like openminded posts like this:up:

Let me make this clear: NO MORE PICTURE POSTING.

One more picture posted in this thread and I close it, no questions asked.

And start a separate thread, in the regular FYM, if you want to continue the discussion about "Presidential Sizzle."

t
h
a
n
k

u

p
a
x

:angry:

1000s upon 1000s of future words have just
been flushed
down
the
toilet.:);)

thank u-

db3
:wink:

Last edited:
sharky said:
I don't know what speeches you're watching diamond, but the ones I watch are scary. Every time Bush gets to a big word I'm always thinking "c'mon man, you can do it. Sound it out. es-tab-i-lish-ment. good job!" That being said, Gore became charismatic after he lost the election so it goes both ways.

LOL at the speeches comment (and knows exactly what you mean)!

I'm sorry, but IMO, Bush has about as much charisma as my computer mouse.

Originally posted by sharky
Back to reality, I don't care about style, swagger, sizzle or charisma, if your tax plan sucks and data is going down the tubes, you're screwed.

Exactly.

*Also agrees with verte

Angela

I agree with those who suggest the next election will hinge quite strongly on the state of the domestic US economy. And I can't understand why most of the rightwingers here seem to not even give this the time of day. Laugh it off, in fact. I'd rather see people tackle it head on. If the current administration is doing great things vis a vis jobs and prosperity in America, I'd love to hear about it. But nobody seems to even want to talk about it.

I guess it's conceivable that Bush could win the next election on his adventures abroad. That might indeed happen. But what about the election after that? Or the one after that? You can't just let things rot and fester forever.

I will say no more, as I do not live in the US. But I read a lot.

Congratulations Diamond for derailing another thread about things that actually matter. You are a walking sick joke.

Zedbetty said:
Congratulations Diamond for derailing another thread about things that actually matter. You are a walking sick joke.
Zedbetty-
I wont react to your mean spirited comment.

DB9

You know, I am sick of people taking cheap shots at Diamond like that. His contributions to what is being said is no less useful than anybody else's, and it reflects a distinct lack of character when someone comes up with cheap nonsense like that.

Our President went to a war that had already begun a long time ago when he decided to act against the danger that was made obvious on 9/11, and it will continue as long as the need continues, as long as democracy across the world is threatened. No one likes war, but President Bush is doing the hardest and that most noble of things, and that is risking popularity, so that we can live in a safer world. You can cheapen that all you want, but you won't be able to cheapen his accomplishments in the long run.

Peace to all.

Yes, my comment was harsh, and yes it was personal. Got it in one. For the reasons behind the harshness, see my previous post. The US economy is NOT ok, and all Diamond and co. can talk about is friggin George Bush. What happens ten years from now? Eh?

John Milton:

lots of Diamonds posts are completely useless - i remember the 1000 posting just showing yet another picture of G.W.B. and some statements which had nothing to do with the thread at all.

I wouldn't have used the harsh words of Zedbetty, but i see the point that diamond dosn't discuss anymore, he just posts about his personal love to G.W. here and lots of the facts he presented here were simply untrue.

After he insulted the people against war in another thread he was the first and only person of FYM that went on my ignore-list

So back to the topic of this thread:

I don't think it was the mayor motivation of G.W.B. to ensure reelection when he started war, but i'm sure he isn't ignoring side effects or popularity boost through war times. I think his administration will remember this when they start the election compaign and they will talk to "patriot instincts" of the citizens.

I don't believe we need a long war for that, that's counter productive. I think about smarter moves. Maybe we will see new "facts" which are designed by advertising agencies shortly before the election which proof the success of the Iraq war?

(remember that the first Bush administration hired Hill & Knowlton to "convince" the senate and the UN pro Iraq war I with fake facts like the incubator story)

Klaus

Klaus,

The war in Iraq is already a huge success. Certainly there are those who were opposed to it who will attempt to make it look like something else and falsely accuse the administration of things.

A good friend of mine who spent nearly 6 months in Afghanistan in 2002 and now 4 months in Iraq Kuwait will be coming home in May. Another best friend should be home from Iraq by June. They are among the thousands of US soldiers that have been in Kuwait and Iraq. They know the real story of whats going on in Iraq.

Sting: i'm sure they know facts i don't know, but i'd never call it "the truth".
I know some verry honest men from the german "Wehrmacht" and they told me what they have seen and what the Nazi regime told them.
Believe me, they knew lots of things the average people didn't know, but several years after the war they learned that they didn't know verry much.

Don't get me wrong, i don't want to compare the Wehrmacht and the US military (i'm no military expert and i will never become one) all i wanted to show you is that just because you are in the front line you don't necessarily know the truth.
Not every time you try to protect human values you really do this - sometimes you support your president just because you don't know the facts.

And i don't think that anyone of us knows the real story of what's going on in this war against terrorism.

Klaus

Geez, how rude is it to talk about diamond like he's not even here? If you don't like his posts, by all means put him on your ignore list but why are personal attacks necessary? If you feel the need to put someone down, at least do it by PM or email.

Bono's American Wife:
If diamond wouldn't be here i would not talk like that, i prefer that the people whom i criticize can hear what i have to say. sadly there is no pm or e-mail contact possible for non-premium members.
I apologize if my words were to rude.

Klaus

I wasn't meaning you specifically Klaus and I'm sorry if it sounded that way.

I just don't like to see anyone here put down...even diamond. Constructive criticism is fine but personal attacks like "a walking sick joke" are not.

Yeh, I agree with Bono's American Wife. Personal attacks are definitely not okay. We should all try to keep discussions about the *ideas* rather than the person behind those ideas.

Klaus,

My friends are Captains in the US Marine Corp. One is A Cobra Helicopter Pilot that was involved in near continuous combat for a period of 3 weeks all over Iraq. The other is a combat engineer that has been involved with operations from building bridges, to blowing up forts, to taking down minefields, and rebuilding roads and other civilian infrastructure.

Their not at all like the Nazi military at all. They both are University educated like all officers in the US military and follow strict codes of conduct that do not allow targeted abuse or harm to come to civilians. Honesty is the most important trait that is emphasized among all Marines. Nothing gets an Officer kicked out of Officer Candidate school faster than a dishonest action of any kind. I know people who were turned down from being accepted to Officer Candidate School because of a possible dishonest statement on their application form. Honest and Integrity are most important. Following the Code of Conduct and other Orders is second.

They have a far better insight into what is going on in Iraq than the European Media. I know many Europeans are hoping for a scandal or something to go seriously wrong so as to justify their opposition to the war. But thats not happening nor will it happen.

STING,
Seriously - please stop stereotyping all "Europeans" - there are hundreds of millions of people on this continent and we're not all alike!! :)

And I'm not hoping for something to go wrong - I'd be delighted if Iraq really moves towards democracy and its people are given stability and access to essentials like healthcare and education. I'd be SO happy to see that happen because my opposition to this war was always based on a concern for the people of Iraq. I only want what is best for the Iraqi people.

Sadly I don't believe I'd have to wait for "something to go seriously wrong" anyway - there already have been serious problems. The looting of hospitals, for instance, and the theft of pricelesss treasures from Iraqi museums. The deaths of over a thousand innocent Iraqis was something "seriously wrong" but of course it was inevitable as soon as war begun.

And finally, STING, I'm not saying anything insulting about your friends who are in the military. I have a huge amount of respect for the people doing those jobs because I also have friends who are in the military or have been in the past and it sounds like an extremely difficult and important job.

Fizz

Back
Top Bottom