Is Bush going to keep war going to ensure re-election? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-18-2003, 06:36 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine

We may find out how strung out on coke and alcohol our esteemed Dubyah actually was.
Guess what? I would put money on the fact that most people do not care how strung out he was. Do I think he was at some point in his life, yes. Do I care, no.

What I care about is that he is not doing it now, and I am willing to bet that a majority of Americans would agree with me on this.

Let's not celebrate the fact that he has, according to everyone close to him, not had a drink since 1986. Let's look to drudge up the dirt from almost 20 years ago.

Now, if he is snorting in the OVal Office, that is another issue entirely. I would want him removed as I wanted CLinton removed for his misconduct, lying under oath.
__________________

__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 04-18-2003, 06:42 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 09:04 PM
Fizzing,

Bush Sr. lost the 1992 election because of the economy primarily but also because of Ross Perot took more votes from him than he took from Clinton. But Ross would not have been a candidate if the economy was not in bad shape.

IF Bush cannot make a dent in the economy by early 2004, then he is probably not going to win re-election no matter what he does, barring a new international crises. Chances are though, the economy which has been muddled since October of 2000 will improve and Bush will be re-elected.

So if you don't want to see Bush win in 2004, you better hope more people lose their jobs or fail to find new ones.
__________________

__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 04-18-2003, 06:50 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life
 
FizzingWhizzbees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the choirgirl hotel
Posts: 12,614
Local Time: 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
IF Bush cannot make a dent in the economy by early 2004, then he is probably not going to win re-election no matter what he does, barring a new international crises. Chances are though, the economy which has been muddled since October of 2000 will improve and Bush will be re-elected.

So if you don't want to see Bush win in 2004, you better hope more people lose their jobs or fail to find new ones.
I don't want Bush to win in 2004 (that's hardly a suprise, lol) but I don't think that means I hope people will lose their jobs. I'm quite sceptical about whether Bush's huge tax cuts are going to help improve the economy, so I'll just wait and see.

IMO international issues are likely to have quite a significant influence on the 2004 election, simply because most Americans are more aware of international affairs and foreign policy than they were prior to September 11th, and they feel that the actions of their government in foriegn policy can have a significant impact on their lives.
__________________
FizzingWhizzbees is offline  
Old 04-18-2003, 07:33 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 02:04 PM
International Affairs and National Security are the GOP's strong points.

Still, hugging a tree is more important to others..
Go figure

db3
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 04-19-2003, 01:23 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 09:04 PM
There was something crude and nativist about the '92 election. It played on people's fears about the economy, but there was this theme of "Bush is doing too much outside the U.S. and we don't like it". After 9/11 things may be different. But Americans have shown they can think unilaterally, because, ironically, Bush does. So the same nativism could rear its ugly head again. I support Democrats but I don't always agree with what they're doing, that's for damn sure. I am not sure how much tree hugging and other publicity stunts will have to do with the election. Personally I've never hugged a tree, and had never even heard of tree hugging before I heard conservatives complaining about it.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 04-19-2003, 03:17 PM   #36
New Yorker
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,637
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase


Let's see. A guy named Osama bin Laden tried to kill me. And I'm sure he's trying to kill more New Yorkers [including me]. And yet I am relieved that we have a government in place right now that didn't sit back after America was attacked. They went after the men responsible, and although they have not gotten bin Laden himself just yet, they have left his organization in shambles, and continue to hunt down terrorists around the world BEFORE they have a chance to attack us, rather than after they do. So who do I trust with keeping my nation, my city, and myself safe? Right now, without a shadow of a doubt, George W. Bush.
Then why isn't he helping us now? We're cutting the jobs of cops and firefighters. There are soldiers and cops still on my streets, still in my subway. And attacks have occured AFTER Sept. 11 in Bali. Everyday I get on the subway worried that I won't get off. He has not made me feel safer, and invading a country is only poking at a rattlesnake. They have the power to come back after us and we're giving them an excuse. when is that rattlesnake going to strike?

You can blame Perot for Bush Sr. loss, you can blame Nader for Gore's loss. But if those men also couldn't have won if that was really what people wanted. Bush Sr. lost because people didn't have jobs. And if Dubya doesn't start paying attention to what's going on at home instead of getting turned on by Sexy Saddam, he's gonna be booted before he even sees the high heel shoe Lady Liberty hits him in the head with.
__________________
sharky is offline  
Old 04-19-2003, 03:38 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Rono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: the Netherlands
Posts: 6,163
Local Time: 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase


Let's see. A guy named Osama bin Laden tried to kill me. And I'm sure he's trying to kill more New Yorkers [including me]. And yet I am relieved that we have a government in place right now that didn't sit back after America was attacked. They went after the men responsible, and although they have not gotten bin Laden himself just yet, they have left his organization in shambles, and continue to hunt down terrorists around the world BEFORE they have a chance to attack us, rather than after they do. So who do I trust with keeping my nation, my city, and myself safe? Right now, without a shadow of a doubt, George W. Bush.
Sounds to me the Osama won the war against terror. Bush use the fear of common people to do the things he do. Bombing and execute people in other countries in the name of anti terror. Just ban box cutters,....

Another strange thing, i must agree to give my personal data to your free country when i travel to the USA,.where i go, where i will stay, if i have a crimerecord and this will be linked to my data about my religion, my membership of politic party`s and Unions ect.

Maybe Bush won`t use the war in Iraq to get re-elected but he will use the war ( fear ) on terror for shure.,...
__________________
Rono is offline  
Old 04-19-2003, 03:50 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life
 
FizzingWhizzbees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the choirgirl hotel
Posts: 12,614
Local Time: 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Rono

Another strange thing, i must agree to give my personal data to your free country when i travel to the USA,.where i go, where i will stay, if i have a crimerecord and this will be linked to my data about my religion, my membership of politic party`s and Unions ect.
Why is this (as in what legislation means you have to do this)? And is it something which has been introduced since September 11th?

When I visited America (the week before 9/11 - so I had to get on a plane a few days afterwards - v.scary!) I didn't have to give all of that information. I did, however, have to swear that I'd never been a member of the Nazi government of 1933-45, and didn't intend to break any laws whilst in the United States!
__________________
FizzingWhizzbees is offline  
Old 04-19-2003, 04:08 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Rono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: the Netherlands
Posts: 6,163
Local Time: 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees


Why is this (as in what legislation means you have to do this)? And is it something which has been introduced since September 11th?

When I visited America (the week before 9/11 - so I had to get on a plane a few days afterwards - v.scary!) I didn't have to give all of that information. I did, however, have to swear that I'd never been a member of the Nazi government of 1933-45, and didn't intend to break any laws whilst in the United States!
The European airlines must provide this kind of information to the Americans since March this year. I will try to find some info in English.

( It was on Dutch tv a couple days ago, maybe some Dutch people can confirm my story )

Hmmm,it did sound more dramatic on that tv program but here is some info,..


http://europa.eu.int/comm/external_r...nrmem03_53.htm
__________________
Rono is offline  
Old 04-19-2003, 04:32 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life
 
FizzingWhizzbees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the choirgirl hotel
Posts: 12,614
Local Time: 09:04 PM
Thanks Rono, I'll do a search on the bbc website and some other news websites and try to find something out.
__________________
FizzingWhizzbees is offline  
Old 04-19-2003, 08:08 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sharky


Then why isn't he helping us now? We're cutting the jobs of cops and firefighters. There are soldiers and cops still on my streets, still in my subway. And attacks have occured AFTER Sept. 11 in Bali. Everyday I get on the subway worried that I won't get off. He has not made me feel safer, and invading a country is only poking at a rattlesnake. They have the power to come back after us and we're giving them an excuse. when is that rattlesnake going to strike?

You can blame Perot for Bush Sr. loss, you can blame Nader for Gore's loss. But if those men also couldn't have won if that was really what people wanted. Bush Sr. lost because people didn't have jobs. And if Dubya doesn't start paying attention to what's going on at home instead of getting turned on by Sexy Saddam, he's gonna be booted before he even sees the high heel shoe Lady Liberty hits him in the head with.
That's what my two sisters in Brooklyn are saying. They aren't feeling any safer with Dubya running the show. I'm not feeling safer. I just don't agree with this Administration's priorities worth a damn. And if they don't want to get smacked because people are losing jobs they need to do something about lost jobs, because there's always going to be the "pocketbook" effect with the electorate, war won or not.
I wish I could go to sleep now but I have Holy Saturday Mass. They can't start before sunset.

__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 04-20-2003, 08:21 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76


After 9/11 things may be different.


. I support Democrats but I don't always agree with what they're doing, that's for damn sure.


I am not sure how much tree hugging and other publicity stunts will have to do with the election. ..
verte-
the tree hugging comment was not to be taking literally.
i love nature.
i, like yourself do not get fanatical about it.

Youre right -9-11 has changed everything.
We're now in a new age.
National Security and World Safety will take priority over all over issues.

Most Democrats support GW Bush right now and give him a favorable job approval rating..



71% combined job approval rating between both parties.


DB9
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 04-20-2003, 08:36 PM   #43
War Child
 
Ormus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Frontios
Posts: 758
Local Time: 05:04 PM
My oh my, diamond. You could have picked a more objective site than whitehouse.gov for that last picture.

Ormus
__________________
Ormus is offline  
Old 04-20-2003, 08:42 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 09:04 PM
Alot of people are supporting Bush, diamond, I'm aware of that. The U.S. electorate is a fickle bunch, however. George Bush Sr's numbers were even more impressive after Desert Storm (he had a 91% job approval rating) and as we all know he *lost* less than two years later. I'm not saying that will happen again. But two years is a long time in politics. I don't think 9/11 has changed that, and I don't think it's nuked the "pocketbook effect" in presidential politics, either. I mean, they say that the Iranian thing finished Carter. That didn't help but neither did 20% inflation. Are you kidding? That was murder on a Democratic Administration. I'd at least argue that unemployment isn't going to help a Republican.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 04-20-2003, 08:59 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 02:04 PM
i agree w you verte, partially.
Dad Bush lost cuz he wasnt in touch w the electorate.
Clinton came out as more "in touch" while old man Bush had no sizzle at all.
Carter lost cuz he was weak foriegn policy wise.::
Carter also had no sizzle.:
Reagan had sizzle.
The Iranian Crisis was embarrasing to us, the economy was an important issue but secondary to Iranian Crisis and our national dignity.


9-11 has drawfted every other issue and it is now less than 575 days until GW is re-elected.
It is also a commonly known fact that our President, Presdient GW Bush not only has sizzle but swagger as well.

Thank you-
diamond
__________________

__________________
diamond is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com