Is anyone here a Universalist Unitarian?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hitman

Acrobat
I took a quiz on Beliefnet and they said I should be a Universalist Unitarian. I really believe in what they stand for....

Is anyone here a Universalist Unitarian? If so, I'd love to hear your views on this religioun...

------------------
Live As If You'll Die Tomorrow, Dream As If You'll Live Forever

hello hitman, i am not a member of the unitarian universalist church, but i attended services regularly when i lived in a city that had a church. i am by no means and expert, but what i got out of my exposure was that tolerance, respect and a desire to seek the truth are the basic tennants. there is no one god that must be worshipped to claim membership. all cultures and religions are respected and studied. it's more about the journey toward the truth, striving to make the world a better place and finding fellowship and joy. it all sounds kind of hippy-dippy, but really it's closest thing i've found to the truth in a church. i highly recommend visiting one. peace, lynn

Thanks for the reply hotasahandbag. I am so sick of wars and killing in the name of 'religioun.' I am an Irish-American catholic, but Universalist Unitarianism seems like my true faith, and I plan on checking it out.....

If EVERYONE was a Universalist Unitarian, the world would be a better place.

------------------

If everyone was the same certain anything, unless it was purely and perfectly good, the world would most certainly not be a better place.

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

Originally posted by paxetaurora:
If everyone was the same certain anything, unless it was purely and perfectly good, the world would most certainly not be a better place.

I challenge you to learn about what it means to a Universalist Unitarian, look around at what is happening in the world, and say that again. Because if you did, I don't think you would.

------------------

Originally posted by Hitman:

I challenge you to learn about what it means to a Universalist Unitarian, look around at what is happening in the world, and say that again. Because if you did, I don't think you would.

i'm going to admit ignorance of the universalist unitarian viewpoint but the statement paxetaurora made is, in my opinion, true.
you might say the characteristics of the religion in question meet the 'pure' and 'perfect good' requirements that she set forth, but her statement is true.

imo.

I have, FYI, read a lot about the Unitarian Universalist church. I have no quarrel with what they believe and I know they have a lot of great ideas. I personally have not, say, gone to any of their services because the roots of their church, if I am not mistaken, lie at least in part in antitrinitarianism--that is, the denial of God-in-three-persons and, sometimes by extension, denial of the divinity of Christ. That makes me slightly uncomfortable, although I know that they wouldn't mind that I *do* believe in a fully human and fully divine Christ.

I have absolutely no problem with the UUA (Unitarian Universalist Association), and when I took the same quiz on beliefnet, I got something like a 98% or 99% match for Unitarian Universalist. (Although I got a 100% match with Liberal Quakerism--go figure.) But full uniformity of thought among imperfect human beings is always dangerous. Our Founding Parents (tee hee) knew that religious pluralism was the way to go. I still agree witht them.

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

My dad considered joing the Universalist Unitarian church when he was younger. We're Roman Catholic, and my dad was annoyed by the Church's stand on Vietnam. My dad didn't agree with the war. He never made the jump though.

------------------
I dig my toes into the sand. The ocean looks like a 1,000 diamonds strewn across a blue plain. I lean against the wind, pretend that I am weightless. And in this moment I am happy... happy.

Love,
Emily

I wish you were here.

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
Emily's Wallpapers

hi again, just had to put another 2 cents in. obviously, the people of the world could not and should not subscribe to a single, absolute belief system or religion. wouldn't that be a nightmare. but that is exactly what i find so appealing about the UU church. they embrace and respect all people, and make no judgements regarding their religious beliefs. it is not an us-vs-them mentality. they make no attempt to recruit people away from their own churches or cultures. IMO there is nothing more arrogant than a person presuming that he/she knows the only acceptable truth, actively seeking to disrupt other's relationships with their native cultures and religious practices and finally viewing those who do not convert with pity, or piety (sp?). whew! sorry about the rant. couldn't help myself. so i believe that, in a way, if everyone adopted the level of respect that the UUs aspire to, the world would be a better place.
and secondly-i don't believe (again from my limited exposure) that the church is anti-much of anything (including trinitarianism). but yes, it is not a christian church by any traditional means of definition. however, i have found more truly "christian" people within the walls of that church than any other.
i forgot a major point in my original post- that the church holds a strong belief in the importance of nonviolence and social/political/environmental/humanitarian activism. we are all brothers and sisters and the planet is a gift. it is our responsibility to treat all of life and nature with care. again, peace, lynn

Back
Top Bottom