Is Anyone Going To Read Hillary's Book?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I hope this doesn't turn into a Hillary bashing thread :uhoh:

Her book, all 500 + pages, is out next wk, and her Barbara Walters interview is on Sunday night. Supposedly this interview will be no questions off limits, so I am interested in what she will say :evil:

I suppose that is the selling point of the book- what she will say about Monica, or Whitewater.

I wonder if Bill got to read it before it went to print
:wink:

I like reading most books about the Clinton adminstration so I'll probably pick up a copy when I have some money to spare. I'm reading The Clinton Wars by Sydney Blumenthal right now - very interesting and informative. :)

I'd really like to see the interview. My parents, actually my entire family, were big Clinton supporters so I'm sure that book will be floating around my family because they like Hilary too.

I'd like Hillary to stop writing books and do her job. Last time I checked, they shut down my brooklyn fire house, a sales tax increase is going in to effect and education spending is seriously lacking. why can't she work on getting money in to NYC for the help we need? NY needs a senator, not an author. we have PLENTY of those.

I surely read the reviews, but I've got so many other books to read that I doubt I'd read hers. I am a Clinton supporter, however, and I'm curious to hear other people's reactions.

ohhhhh man this is going to be hard not to turn this into a hillary bashing thread...

fighting the urge... fighting the urge...

it's funny... hillary won the race for senate here in new york by a pretty large margin over rick lazio, who was the first 12 year old to run for office in the history of the senate, yet i've yet to find a single person to admit to have voted for her.

she is the most evil person on the face of the planet... alright maybe not the most evil... but she's up there damn it

Last edited:
Certainly people in NY know what she's doing or not doing as Senator, so I'm not qualified to comment on that. I don't condone all of her actions or attitudes, but I just have to wonder if she was a man, would she have gotten the same level of criticism. I just think much of the criticism was over the top and unwarranted, but that's just my humble opinion :)

Hillary Clinton Book Details Betrayal

By CALVIN WOODWARD and SIOBHAN McDONOUGH, Associated Press Writers

WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton says her husband's relationship with Monica Lewinsky caused so much pain that, at one point, Buddy the dog was the only member of the family willing to keep President Clinton company.

The Democratic senator from New York declares in her new memoirs that, "As a wife, I wanted to wring Bill's neck," but she finally resolved that she loved him, wanted to keep the marriage intact and supported what he was doing as president.

Mrs. Clinton vividly describes her pain over the betrayal in "Living History," covering her eight years in the White House. A copy of the book, which goes on sale next week, was obtained by The Associated Press.

She recounts two bedside conversations seven months apart. In the first, the morning of Jan. 21, 1998, the president sat on the edge of the bed and told her the Lewinsky story was coming out and it wasn't true.

In the second, Aug. 15, 1998, the weekend before he testified about his relationship with the intern to a grand jury, the president woke her, paced the floor and said there was truth to the allegations after all.

"Why he felt he had to deceive me and others is his own story, and he needs to tell it in his own way," she writes.

She says the most difficult decisions she has made in her life were to stay married to Clinton and to run for the Senate.

Her 562-page book has been highly anticipated. Simon & Schuster, expecting large sales, ordered an extraordinary first printing of 1 million copies. The first lady-turned-senator was paid a $2.85 million advance toward the $8 million book deal. Foreign rights already have been sold in 16 countries. The book's list price is $28.

In it, she acknowledges tears and turmoil, balancing her personal struggles to deal with a wayward husband with her political obligations as first lady and Senate candidate.

She says she accepted her husband's story at first ? that he had befriended the White House intern when she asked for job-hunting help, had talked to her a few times ? and that the relationship had been horribly misconstrued.

But on the Saturday morning before his testimony, he "told me for the first time that the situation was much more serious than he had previously acknowledged."

"He now realized he would have to testify that there had been an inappropriate intimacy," she said. "He told me that what happened between them had been brief and sporadic."

He was ashamed and knew she would be angry, she recounts.

"I could hardly breathe. Gulping for air, I started crying and yelling at him, 'What do you mean? What are you saying? Why did you lie to me?' I was furious and getting more so by the second. He just stood there saying over and over again, 'I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I was trying to protect you and Chelsea,'" their teenage daughter.

Mrs. Clinton said that up until that August morning when her husband confessed, she believed he was being railroaded. She hadn't believed he would jeopardize their marriage and family.

She describes in bitter terms the months of chill between them afterward, never more painful than when they went to Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts for a vacation following his testimony.

"Buddy, the dog, came along to keep Bill company," she writes. "He was the only member of our family who was still willing to." :)lmao: )

While on the island, she felt "nothing but profound sadness, disappointment and unresolved anger. I could barely speak to Bill, and when I did, it was a tirade."

He slept downstairs, she slept upstairs, she said.

She said her decision to run for a Senate seat provided a healing bridge for them, allowing them to talk about something other than the future of their relationship.

Clinton was the first first lady to run for elected office, and was sworn into the Senate the same month her husband left office in January 2001. She recounted their last day at the White House, waltzing down a long hallway in her husband's arms.

She concludes that what her husband did was morally wrong but not a betrayal of the public. :eyebrow:

Oh well-I felt betrayed :shrug:

MrsSpringsteen said:
but I just have to wonder if she was a man, would she have gotten the same level of criticism. I just think much of the criticism was over the top and unwarranted, but that's just my humble opinion :)

I TOTALLY AGREE!!

bull... this has nothing to do with gender. hillary clinton cares about one thing and one thing alone... her career. for her to say she didn't know about the monica thing up until the day bill went in for the grand jury testimony is a load of bunk. she has her hand on everything that family does. come on now... it was reported that the clinton's slept in seperate beds, in different rooms, long before the monica thing broke. if she was mad and upset, it wasn't because her husband betrayed her, which he had done many many many times before, but because it was going to be a stain on their career. she knows exactly what she's doing, and knew exactly what was going on back then. you're trying to tell me that hillary wasn't in on all the prep that bill did leading up to the grand jury testimony? that she was notified of what he was going to say the morning of? she's always been waaaaay too involved in bill's career for me to believe that for one second.

and as for a senator... i couldn't really tell you what she's done. yeah, she raised funds and provided relief and comfort for those who lost loved ones after 9/11... i give her credit for that, but then again... who didn't? she took advantage of new york state to push her own political career... she wants to be president. and that's why she stayed with bill, despite years and years of him being caught with other women. she knows bill is the biggest star in the democratic party. he's the biggest fund raiser, and he's a damn important person to have on your side if you want to make a run at the democratic nomination for president.

the fact that she's a woman is a side note... i don't see her as any gender. she's just a political machine out for her own good to me.

I agree w/ much of what you said Headache, but I still feel that much of the criticism she took (and maybe I'm speaking of mostly in Pres Clinton's first term) was gender biased.

She says she didn't know, and of course it's possible that she's being untruthful about it. Or maybe she was in massive denial, but I don't think so...

I'll admit that I voted for Clinton twice, in spite of the fact that I was completely disgusted by the whole Monica and Whitewater situations. I thought he was the best person for the country at the time, and held my nose (to put it mildly) about the rest :D Any illusions I had about Bill Clinton basically disappeared after Jennifer Flowers went public. I had admiration for Hillary as well, and I do still admire some of what she has done.

She's ambitious for sure, but she certainly isn't the first or last person to do things for political purposes.

Its not a gender issue. Bloomberg has a whole load of money too and he couldn't find the $8 million in his BILLIONS to keep our firehouses open either. And Pataki isn't in my good graces either.

BUT neither of them has written a memoir while in office. They have been focusing on doing their jobs. Guiliani didn't publish his book until after he was out of office.

I don't care about what she wrote. I really could give a rat's ass about her reaction to her husband's infidelity. Its none of my business what goes on in her personal life. But she's my senator and she is supposed to be representing me. At least Chuck Schumer lives in my old neighborhood. He spoke out several times about the firehouses closing. Hillary was too busy with publicity for her book to care.

I don't understand the endless fascination with her reaction to her husband's infidelity. First of all, her version probably isn't even the real truth and secondly, WHO CARES!!!!

Its not like it was the first or probably the last time he did it, she got pissed like wives tend to do and yelled at him. So what! Why do we need to know that and why is every news outlet reporting this one particular subject like it matters?

I don't feel that anyone's memoirs are worth 8 million dollars and I'm not going to read the book :down:

She's a mannnn, she's not a.... oops broke into song there..never mind. No one voted for her husband for 8 years either.. Let me acknowledged I voted for him, twice, and will again,when he's able to run for a third term. I'm so happy I can make decisions about my politics. If I lived in NY I'd vote for her. Yes, it politics and yes they do have "motives". I truly don't know anyone who doesn't. I couldn't give a flying f*** about the sex lives of any of these people. But , apparently countless people do. I look at the big picture. I'll never forget, while watching the news in the breakroom awhile back, a co-worker saying someone should "Kill" Hillary because she was running for the Senate and stayed with her cheating husband. Isn't this is the fodder of so many country songs. (Well, not running for office) Please don't insult my intelligence by saying Hillary isn't qualified to be Senator... Have you looked or read about some of these people that are? If not, you should! OK that's the end of my :rant: ;)

Diane L said:
I like Hillary, and I will read her book.
In fact, I'm debating about getting on what will be an extremely long line and getting Hillary's signature on it at a local bookstore on the 20th.

sorry but what? she's signing books? there are national guard troops all over my city that need to be paid somehow. Maybe she should look in to that before she starts wasting her time signing books.

I was a Clinton supporter but I have so many books to read that I sort of doubt if I'll read the book. If my parents get the book, and they might, then I might read it also.

Back
Top Bottom