Is America more accepting of gay men than gay women? - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2002, 01:28 PM   #166
Refugee

Local Time: 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon:
But, Bubba, this is incorrect! Yes, the said individual with the hypothetical 5 genes will not be able to pass these on to future generations. That is true. However, these "carrier" parents contain parts of these genes. The father could have 3. The mother could have 2. Or any combination less than 5. So they create 1 child with all 5 genes, but, as you know, lots of parents have more than 1 child. These siblings, by sheer chance, may only receive 1-4 of these genes (or, potentially, none), essentially making them "carriers." If they marry someone and have children with someone with the other genes to complete the 5-gene trait, then they can have a child in the future with this expressed trait.
I still don't think I'm wrong on this, and I'll explain with an VERY simplified example. Let's again consider the parents who combined have the five genes to cause infertility and make the following (COMPLETELY UNREALISTIC) assumptions to make the numbers easier:

* Globally, parents have an average of four children.

* On average, parents in the situation like the one above have an infertile child every 1 in 4 times.

Now, the parents in our hypethetical scenario have four kids, one of them happens to be infertile. The parents next door (who happen to LACK all five genes) also have four kids, none of them infertile.

Both pairs of parents have four children, so it doesn't look like there's any difference. BUT LOOK AT THE GRANDCHILDREN.

The first pair of parents have three children who each have a total of four kids, for a total of twelve grandchildren. The second pair of parents have four children who each have four kids, for a grand total of SIXTEEN grandkids. The parents with the five genes have only 3/4 the number of grandchildren.

Now, certainly, for such a small case, things happen: one the neighbor's kids could become a celibate priest, dropping the number of grandkids from 16 to 12. But if you compare a POPULATION of couples with the 5-gene combination and a comparably sized population of couples without them, the 5-gene population will a significantly smaller number of grandkids. THAT's what I mean by the gene impeding its own long term survival.

Quote:
What the Bible explains is that God created everything, a fact that I do not dispute. But, beyond that, we are in more of a position, through advanced science, to know what God created exactly. Science, to me, does not negate God whatsoever; and, in fact, shows more of the magnificence of His creation due to its complexity.
I agree Genesis, etc., explains that God created everything, but that might not be the only truth to be gleamed. I believe that the Bible also teaches that God created humans as unique creatures (whether we arrived through evolution or specific creation, we still have a soul, a free will, and the ability to reason). And I also believe that the Bible teaches about the purpose of our sexuality, the God created man and woman to be married, to become "one flesh."

One can find such ideas about our uniqueness and the divine plan of marriage in Genesis (respectively 1:26-27 and 2:7; and 2:20-24). But look the NEW Testament confirms such truths. First, and foremost, God Almighty became human for our sake, proving that we are special in His eyes. Second, God Incarnate re-emphasized the sanctity of marriage - and compared marriage to His relationship to the church. In the case of marriage, I DON'T believe I'm just taking one or two verses out of context; I have complementary evidence in the Old and New Testament, enough to suggest that I'm on to something that was intended to be there.

Quote:
The "vast" majority should not negate the value of the "small" minority, which is exactly the crux of my argument. We have the technology to identify that minority of God's creation omitted from the Bible through ignorance.
(I first of all believe that the population of exceptions from the male-female mold is indeed small rather than just "small" (in quotes) - that at LEAST 95% of all births are definitely male or definitely female; the minority population is thus statistically small.)

Certainly, the minority still counts as individuals. And there may be a divine reason God allowed such deviations - if nothing more, the genetic deviation may demonstrate that, in all ways, nobody's perfect. (But, if that's the case, I believe God merely allowed the deviation raher than FORCED it to happen.) But I don't think the exceptions somehow disprove the purpose of the rule.

Quote:
The Dead Sea Scrolls even dispute this. These earlier texts have less legalism than the later texts that we have been using for about a millennium now.

It wasn't a surprise to me. The prefaces of the Catholic Bible adequately explain the circumstances of these c. 500 B.C. texts--right at the time that the Jewish diaspora was liberated by the Persians and the rabbis forcefully tried to regain control of their nation and the people. What a better way to do so than to say that these secular laws were "God's laws"? With a lowly educated society whose only access to these texts was through the rabbis who read them to them, who would challenge it? Then, with earlier texts lost, people began to believe that these were really "God's laws" all along, and the Jewish leaders could reassert authority unchallenged.

The Dead Sea Scrolls supported a claim I had made in this forum from the start. Even Jesus never refers to these as "God's laws." Often, He refers to them as "Moses' law." A big difference, don't you think?
Even assuming that some of the law was purely fabricated by priests, I still believe that the original Mosaic law (even just the Ten Commandments) would be sufficient to condemn every human compentent enough to know right from wrong, still emphasizing the exacting demands of God Almighty.

And, yes, Christ spoke of the Mosaic law as Moses' law specifically, but I don't believe that was done as a slight. Rather, it was merely done to differentiate Moses and Christ - both God's servants, each emphasizing a different side to the same coin: God's perfect laws of justice and God's grace that allows us mercy.

(Again, law without grace literally damns us all; but grace without law isn't meaningful.)

At any rate, I don't think Christ was condescending about Moses:

Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust. For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me. - John 5:45-46

Beyond that, there's overwhelming evidence of the New Testament's high regard for Moses: The Transfiguration (Matthew 11:1-9, Mark 9:2-9, and Luke 9:28-36).

Clearly, our views on the Bible are different. But I *think* that each of our views are internally consistent. One certainly couldn't reasonably combine our perspectives into a meaningful whole - but each perspective on its own is a reasonable one.

Old 03-10-2002, 01:30 PM   #167
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
yeah, I agree with Ant, I don't think Bubba was implying that homosexuals are un-human, and neither was the movie
Precisely right.

I was suggesting that the prison rapists were metaphorically inhuman in their brutality, not their sexuality.

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 03-10-2002).]

Old 03-12-2002, 12:11 PM   #168
Blue Crack Addict

I don't want to get into the argument. I just wanted to point out that if you want to discuss genetics, you will need some very advanced biochemistry and molecular biology as a basis. This is not a knock on the discussion, but sometimes simplifying genetic analyses can be a good way to explain things. And sometimes, a simplification does a disservice to the discussion. Genetics isn't just AaBb / AABb, to give you ratios of whether people can be carriers for gay genes, or will be gay, or will be heterosexual. You have to take things in context of somatic mutations (which I believe melon noted), general recombination (Holliday/Meselson-Radding, DSBR), gene conversion, LTR transposons, site-specific recombination, etc. It's all highly complex stuff that people spend lifetimes researching, and some of us are forced to spend hours studying.

Old 03-13-2002, 01:04 AM   #169
Refugee

Truly, genetics can be QUITE complicated. But, my point was that genes that cause infertility and homosexuality (AGAIN, I'm not at all sure such things are caused by genetics) will propagate less quickly than those that do not obviously hinder reproduction, regardless of the complexity.

Hell, the entire theory of evolution HINGES on the argument: genes that enable reproduction are far more successful over time (and in large populations) than genes that hinder it.

The reason is this: certainly, even those genes that reproduction aren't expressed they're present. But they are EVENTUALLY expressed, and when they are, they are thus rarely passed on.
Old 03-13-2002, 04:34 PM   #170
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
The reason is this: certainly, even those genes that reproduction aren't expressed they're present. But they are EVENTUALLY expressed, and when they are, they are thus rarely passed on.
I really don't know how many ways or times to tell you that this statement is wrong. Forget the homosexual context of this argument...there are *many* scientically observable genetic traits that contradict your above statement.

I would say that most genes subject to this statement are passed on far more to others (as carriers) than they are expressed. Since carriers often unknowingly carry these traits that aren't expressed in them (some severe, most not) and live an otherwise normal life, the trait is more than assured a long life in offspring in future generations.

Again, I really think you should pick up a college-level genetics text if you have any interest in furthering your genetics knowledge. Otherwise, I would be very cautious jumping into a genetics debate in the future.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time
Old 03-20-2002, 02:11 AM   #171
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by melon:
I really don't know how many ways or times to tell you that this statement is wrong. Forget the homosexual context of this argument...there are *many* scientically observable genetic traits that contradict your above statement.

I would say that most genes subject to this statement are passed on far more to others (as carriers) than they are expressed. Since carriers often unknowingly carry these traits that aren't expressed in them (some severe, most not) and live an otherwise normal life, the trait is more than assured a long life in offspring in future generations.

Again, I really think you should pick up a college-level genetics text if you have any interest in furthering your genetics knowledge. Otherwise, I would be very cautious jumping into a genetics debate in the future.

Melon

Missed the fact that you replied; sorry about that.

I've named two traits (homosexuality and infertility) that may or may not be genetic; if they are genetic, they DO seem to follow this pattern:

1. When expressed, they SEVERELY impede their own propagation.

2. When carried but not expressed, they seem to have no effect on the carrier's ability to reproduce.

So, in some cases, those who have the gene are just as proficient at reproduction as those who don't. And in other cases, they are MUCH less proficient.

As an non-genetic example, let's say you have a bag of nickels and I have a bag of nickels and pennies. Every 10 seconds, we each pull out one coin and throw it onto our own little piles of coins.

(In this case, you would not have the gene at all, and I would; sometimes it's expressed, forcing me to put out only 1 cent, and sometimes it's not expressed, allowing me to put out 5 cents worth.)

After ANY number of turns, how can I possibly have more money on the table than you? And after an arbitrarily large number of turns, how can I NOT have much less than you?

(And this doesn't even account for the fact that the difference is even more pronounced through exponential growth.)

Now, you say there are "many" traits that contradict this behavior.

NAME ONE.

Yes, yes, I'm swimming deep waters that I can't possibly fathom, and you keep reminding me of the fact that I should take college-level genetics to see this fact. But that strikes me as a way of simply avoiding any sort of explanation or any concrete example.

So I ask you again: name one trait that suppresses reproduction when expressed BUT STILL keeps up in terms of the population - and explain HOW THAT HAPPENS.

I may be an idiot, but TRY ME.

...On second thought, forget about it. You will do little more than tell me again that I'm talking about things I cannot possibly understand - and thus refuse any further explanation.

If that is all, I'm done.

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 03-19-2002).]