Is aid really the solution to Africa's problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[Q]So is aid necessary? I guess we will all draw our own conclusions, but I would submit that for the moment, to stand back and do nothing is not an option. By all means, we must continue to look for the best ways to distribute aid and to ensure equal and fair reception, but I don't think that just writing off Africa and telling it to get its act together before we will help is a moral choice I want to make.[/Q]

Well put!!!

Ok, I really don't have the time I'd like to delve into this but you all know I can't stay away from a thread like this. :wink:

The very phrasing of the question, "Does aid entrench corruption" misses the point, to my mind. Only a strong civil society and strong institutions can fight corruption. And, sorry folks, but they take money.

As some on this thread have pointed out, trade is a much better solution (though aid is necessary as well). The Bush admin has wisely (mark your calanders ;) ) recommended that aid be all grants, not further loans that will only further entrench the debt crisis. Their Africa policy fails in many other regards, though, as folks have pointed out here.

Finally, it always amazes me to hear folks argue that we should not cancel the debt because of corruption. That's exactly why we SHOULD cancel the debt. How else will corrupt creditors learn to stop making odious loans?

i am puzzled....

Where was it said that because of corruption we should not help?

Stars go blue you are right, i do Understand you, i do understand what yo mean
Everyone is talking about corruption as an excuse, because existed, and always will, but the help is needed to end this disaster, and the disaster is that people are dying; thats it

Dreadsox said:
i am puzzled....

Where was it said that because of corruption we should not help?

That's what I took from Financeguy's orgininal post. You read it differently?

I also hear it from places like Treasury, some in Congress, the IMF, etc quite a bit. :down:

Hope you're well Dread. :)

Sherry Darling said:

That's what I took from Financeguy's orgininal post. You read it differently?

I also hear it from places like Treasury, some in Congress, the IMF, etc quite a bit. :down:

Hope you're well Dread. :)

I must have missed it....sorry....LOL

Well, I am just peachy!!!!!:wink:

trevster2k said:
Many people have advocated for Iraq's debt to forgiven and Iraq is in far better shape than many of the countries in Africa. It is a complex problem with a complex solution requring contributions from governments, NGOs, citizens and private business. Will foreign aid be the solution? No, but it helps along with debt forgiveness and other instruments of assistance to lead to an eventual solution. We cannot have an entire continent living decades behind the rest of the world and allow millions to die over the next decades because of politics. Although I fear that nothing will come of it because humanity has yet to embrace itself as one entity, we still see in colours.

:applaud: and to sula as well.

i'm not totally up to date with all the world news and world politics concerning this issue but i do believe that aid should be increased and debt decreased to these countries. just because a government is deemed corrupt does that allow us to turn a blind eye to millions of people living and dying in poverty??? i sure hope not.

Last edited:
NYRangers78 said:
just out of curuiosity, why doenst bono or u2 pay taxes in ireland?

I think it's because artists don't have to pay taxes.

I'm sure U2 bring enough tourism to Ireland to make up for their exempt status.

BostonAnne said:
I think it's because artists don't have to pay taxes.

Indeed. All artists are exempt from taxation in Ireland, because, generally speaking, it isn't very profitable, at least not in the short term. "Starving artist" comes to mind, and I think Ireland made them exempt from taxation to promote artistry, in spite of it being a generally unprofitable profession.

Melon

financeguy said:

Charity begins at home, I believe. U2 don't even pay taxes in their own country. I pay more income tax than Bono and I don't earn a lot.

Thoughts?

So, you're saying you're in favor of repealing Ireland's tax breaks for artists? If so, please state so. Just want to make sure I'm reading you right.

I recently read "Dark Star Safari" by Paul Theroux. The book sort of provides an alternative, contrarian perspective on aid to Africa, though that's not what the book is about. Here is what I came away with:

1. Africa is well-stocked with goodhearted people like Bono, (many Irish) who are actually trying to improve the situation.

2. Aid doesn't work. Aid agencies are despised.

3. Corruption is culturally embedded in African nations. The African rich have perfected the art of screwing the African poor.

4. Many nations would be better off under their colonial governments pre-1960 and in fact, were.

5. Education and free trade are the only hope.

I highly recommend the book.

MumblingBono said:

Corruption is culturally embedded in African nations. The African rich have perfected the art of screwing the African poor.

I don't think African nations have a monopoly on this. Greed and corruption is a universal trait amongst all cultures to varying degrees.

Everyone. Everyone. EVERY-ONE!!

*Ahem*.

Drop what you're doing, run, don't walk, to the nearest bookstore and buy a copy of Jefferey Sachs's book, "The End of Poverty." I always admired the guy but have to admit, I used to think he was blowing a lot of hot air most of the time. Boy, did his book--and his relating of experiences--turn my head like Linda Blair. I used to sound like most of you.

I hope the mod could re-post my comment in the News thread about the Bush press conference. Just the paragraph about Kenya, (the other stuff was a rant about the bungling by politicians, and I don't want to get personal.) I think the Kenya stuff was relavant to this discussion. I"m in a hurry and have to get off for today. Back tom night. But how would YOU respond to the Kenyan Health Minister?

Re: Re: Is aid really the solution to Africa's problems?

LyricalDrug said:
So, you're saying you're in favor of repealing Ireland's tax breaks for artists? If so, please state so. Just want to make sure I'm reading you right.

I'm in favour of limiting or restricting the tax breaks, certainly.

Should multi-millionaires like U2 and the Corrs be allowed not to pay tax? That doesn't sit well with me, TBH. I don't have a problem with a more limited scheme aimed at people earning only small sums of money from the arts.

Teta040 said:
Drop what you're doing, run, don't walk, to the nearest bookstore and buy a copy of Jefferey Sachs's book, "The End of Poverty." I always admired the guy but have to admit, I used to think he was blowing a lot of hot air most of the time. Boy, did his book--and his relating of experiences--turn my head like Linda Blair. I used to sound like most of you.

This book is AMAZING. :up:

Theroux's book is excellent. Michka Assayas asked Bono about it as well. I know that many people will be chagrined by some of his comments, but they do have a basis in fact. Wonderful, heartbreaking novel.

melon said:

Indeed. All artists are exempt from taxation in Ireland, because, generally speaking, it isn't very profitable, at least not in the short term. "Starving artist" comes to mind, and I think Ireland made them exempt from taxation to promote artistry, in spite of it being a generally unprofitable profession.

Melon

For the average artist, it's a bitch to make a living as an artist. I work part time in a library, and alot of other artists work outside of their art to pay the rent. Both of my younger sisters in New York are in the arts, and they both work. My sister who's a dancer works as an exercise instructor, and the other one works as a cosmetologist. As for U2, they've done so much for Ireland, bringing so much money into the counotory wityh the tourist industry and such, they've earned their tax exempt status.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom