Is a 20% tip not good enough anymore? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2003, 02:15 PM   #1
War Child

Location: with 2 kids in high school they tell her that she's uncool, but she's still preoccupied with 1985
Local Time: 01:45 PM
Is a 20% tip not good enough anymore?

I am getting very frustrated lately that when I tip a person 'only' 20% at a resturant, they make a huffy face, turn and stalk off without so much as a thank you. These are not fancy places I'm talking about. Most of the time my bill is $10-15 or less if I'm alone. I feel like any 10% tip is gracious, 15% is acceptable and 20% is more than kind, anything else just generous. No one has done anything special or beyond the call of duty for me, just their job. If the service has been good I think that 15-20% is fine. I realize these people work hard and it's nice to help them out, but so do I, and I'm not rich enough to go around bestowing gifts of people. Now I hestitate to even go places with table waiters because of this. What do you all think? Any bad experiences?

Old 11-01-2003, 03:00 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:45 AM
I think the normal amount of tip varies by region, but i would think that 20% is plenty. Where I live 15% is the norm, but I've heard that on the east coast 20% is.

Old 11-01-2003, 03:40 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:45 PM
It's 15% here in the South. I don't go out very much, so I've never run into this thank goodness.
Old 11-01-2003, 03:44 PM   #4
Acrobat

It's a courtesy which has become an ironclad custom. Restraunts and teh like can pay their waiters (I'm using this as a gender neutral term here) less knowing that tips are almost expected. I fully understand this but unless the service is great don't expect more than 15%, especially if it's a large bill. I'm in university so I'm poor, most of teh time all I can afford is 10%. Though I never get a look for it.

But woe onto bad service. You won't get a dime from me. Maybe a penny if I feel like insulting you in response to insultingly bad service. Only did that once but it was for reeeaaaallllllly bad service.
Old 11-01-2003, 05:36 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Tip jars on every counter drive me nuts
Old 11-01-2003, 07:59 PM   #6
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

I was a waitress for 6 years - 15% was standard but I almost always worked my tail off to provide extra great service - and very often got 20-25% (off the very bottom total bill - including tax, drinks etc). I didn't complain if I 'only' got 15%, but it was always a nice surprise to get more than that, never expected. I usually tip 20-25% when I go out, just because I've been in their shoes....
Old 11-01-2003, 08:19 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

15% seems to be the norm around here, but I never calculate it out. I just give all the change I have less than $1 plus maybe a few loonies or a couple toonies or something, cause it's usually less than 30 bucks for me and my girlfriend, and I think 4-5 bucks is pretty generous.

And it seems to me like now, a tip is pretty much a guarantee, even if the service is bad. I don't like that, I feel a tip is something over and above the payment for services rendered and is totally 100% optional. If I don't think the waiter/waitress gave good enough service to merit a tip, over and above the minimum, I will leave one. Usually if a server is nice and actually seems like she gives half a damn about me, she'll get a few bucks. But if she doesn't seem like she cares and looks like she'd rather be somewhere else, and acts like I'm a hassle to be dealt with, I'll leave whatever I feel she deserves. Simple as that. I don't like how a tip has now become necessary.

That's my $2 (+ 15% for Seabird)
Old 11-01-2003, 09:39 PM   #8
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:45 AM
The problem begins with the hospitality industry paying such appallingly low wages. How they can get away with such skewed awards is beyond me.
Pay your staff right, make them happy to work for you, service will be better (see happy staff), the bill might be a bit higher to accomodate, but people will pay it because they get good service and good food. No need for tipping.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:34 PM   #9
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Tip jars on every counter drive me nuts
Me too! When it reaches the point where you owe someone just for ringing you up, it's scary. It's one thing if a person hast taken your order, brought your food, refilled your drinks, and severd you well, but I don't think a person who merely rang up a cash register has anything else coming. Now even hotel maids expect handouts, as do hairstylists, delivery boys, etc. I'm tired of stores, not just resturants anymore, expecting customers to subsidize the low wages of their help.

I too have worked these jobs, and I know how hard it is and how underpaid they are. But I've also been a consumer fed up with constantly having to dish out extra money for services already paid for. It's going too far. The prices we pay are enough already. We shouldn't have to pay twice because the owners are too cheap and want to be greedy and keep more profits. That is the root of the problem.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:30 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

yeah, tip jars all over the place annoy me too. They're usually at food places like starbucks and whatnot. I should put a tip jar on my cutting table at Joanne's
Old 11-02-2003, 01:06 AM   #11
Refugee

I tip whatever I feel like in restaurants, unless I'm with big groups then I pay the percentage.
Otherwise screw percentages it depends on how good the service was.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:56 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 11:45 AM
By far the worst is how they have the tip option on the debit machinces!! Fuck off, if i want to leave a tip i'll ask her to put it on the total. I tip whatever i think is neccesary, i usually round it to a even numer or something like that. What tips do in the service industry is give employers a opportunity to pay their staff less, they know we feel preessured into tipping so they dont care.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:29 PM   #13
Refugee

I'm currently employed as a bartender and I can understand why a waitress or someone else of that profession would WANT more than a 15% or 20% tip. More and more recently I've noticed that people are tipping less on account of the economy. That means that when people actually leave a tip of 15%-20% it just reminds us that everyone COULD tip even a little bit, but choose not to. I don't anyone expects more than 15% in this day and age, so I suspect they're having a bad day or maybe just mad at where they are in life. Argh!
Old 11-02-2003, 10:27 PM   #14
Acrobat

No knock on all bartenders but when I get ignored for five minutes before getting a drink in a bar I generally don't feel like dropping a dollar or more on top of my already overpriced drink. Some are really good and they get my tip but if you can't keep track of who's been there the longest you should get out from behind the bar. And a ton of bartenders aren't even properly trained all they do is hand out beers or hand out watery rum and cokes. If its just some bimbo who was hired for her double Ds rather than any actual ability (this applies for waitresses too) you can bet the tip's gonna be small or non existent. Sorry just my personal pet peeves. Bad service is one big reason the Philthy McNasty's (big chain bar in Ontario) in my home town had to resort ot wet T-shirt contests and High School reunion nights to keep its doors open.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:26 AM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 11:45 AM
I never and cant see myself in future tipping bartenders at a large club. If i am paying 4-5 bucks for a fucking beer then dont expect a tip. And another thing, bars price their drinks so that tips get left. They sell beers for 4.25 and then expect you to drop the other 75 cents for tip. No way. Food industry gets a tip from me because they focus on me fo a long period of time, or a waitress at a local pub gets a tip but not a bartender at an over priced over packed club! The way i look at it is if i have to approach you and beg for attention then you dont deserve a tip. All they are doing for me personally is opening a beer and taking my money, no real reason for a tip there.