Is a 20% tip not good enough anymore? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2003, 06:47 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:38 AM
I know how much their jobs suck and how hard they work and how little they get paid, because I've had that kind of life. That's why I can't go overboard adding to my bill when I eat out once in awhile as a treat. Most of the time, I get ice water instead of a real drink to save money for the tip. If I had a lot of money, like I said, I'd throw it around just to brighten someone's day but I am not able to. Maybe I should stick to Burger King so I don't have to worry about it at all

As a waitress, it is disappointing to go out of your way to give excellent service and be given little or no tip. But I think it's ungrateful and ridiculous when someone leaves a decent tip and they don't even get a thank you, like the original poster said.

Old 11-05-2003, 11:20 AM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 01:38 AM
If i were to have a tip added onto my bill it wouldnt be getting payed and there would be no tip left.

Everyone says the service industry is hard, and it is, but warehousing work is hard and you dont see me asking for tips. This has nothing to do with money, in my case, it has to do with being pressuered into tipping. So many people look down on people that dont tip or dont leave large tips. You dont know their situation and shouldnt judge them. Talk to your employer if your pay is so horrible and your working conditions are so bad. Look into unions.

Old 11-05-2003, 11:46 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 09:38 AM
It's times like these when I'm glad I live in the UK. Tipping here does happen, and there are certain people I do tip (waitresses for good service, cab drivers, hairdressers etc), but we haven't got a tipping culture and it isn't expected of us. I have got 9 years of bar / waitressing work behind me, and I could honestly say in total I have probably received under 100 in tips.

When I was in the States I could never work out when and how I was meant to tip. Confused the hell out of me
Old 11-05-2003, 12:38 PM   #34
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
If i were to have a tip added onto my bill it wouldnt be getting payed and there would be no tip left.

Everyone says the service industry is hard, and it is, but warehousing work is hard and you dont see me asking for tips. This has nothing to do with money, in my case, it has to do with being pressuered into tipping. So many people look down on people that dont tip or dont leave large tips. You dont know their situation and shouldnt judge them. Talk to your employer if your pay is so horrible and your working conditions are so bad. Look into unions.
There's a big difference in some who makes decent wages, or at least minimum wage, and someone who makes 2.50 an hour. So this comparison won't work. I do agree that tip shouldn't be added unless large parties and is stated in the menu, but honestly I've never ever seen anyone do that.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:33 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I am a firm believer if you can not afford to tip your server do not go out to dinner. I'm not refilling your kid's mountain dew 6 times for you not to tip me.
That's another thing, God bless the person who posted earlier about trying to keep their child's mess localized or clean. I just can't believe so many children are allowed to run wild in restaurants now days. It's not only inconsiderate but dangerous as well.
Anyway...I was a waitress all through college and I really believe I am a better person for it. There are many a life lesson to be learned in the service industry that should be applied to everyday life.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:11 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

There's a big difference in some who makes decent wages, or at least minimum wage, and someone who makes 2.50 an hour. So this comparison won't work.

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

I am a firm believer if you can not afford to tip your server do not go out to dinner.

Waiters live on their tips and unless they are jerks, are happy with 20%.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:40 PM   #37
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Quote:
I am a firm believer if you can not afford to tip your server do not go out to dinner.
Gotta agree with you on this. If you can't afford the extra $5-$10-$15, you probably shouldn't be going out to eat (or go to a fast food place where you don't have to tip)
Old 11-05-2003, 03:10 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:38 AM
Quote:
Anyway...I was a waitress all through college and I really believe I am a better person for it. There are many a life lesson to be learned in the service industry that should be applied to everyday life.
It is hard to critique the service industry worker unless you've had a job in the industry.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:21 PM   #39
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

It is hard to critique the service industry worker unless you've had a job in the industry.
Yes, I'm a firm believer in everyone needs to work either the retail or service industry once in their life. It's humbling and really allows those to empathize with these industries. These are two industries that people use on a daily basis, yet I see people treat the people who work these industries like complete shit.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:34 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

It was me who cleans up after the kids I always hated cleaning up the ridiculous, disgraceful messes of kids and vowed I'd never be that kind of mother and I haven't been. The waitress and bus boy may have to clean your table, but they are not your maids. If you wouldn't allow the floor and furniture to be covered with smooshed and thrown food at home, don't do it when you eat out.

Also, as I said, I have often forgone sodas in favor of water to save money for a tip. I would NEVER eat out and not leave a tip, (unless the service was very neglectful and bad but I haven't had that happen.) I intend to leave a tip, just not one larger than the normal amount because I can't afford it. Once I did give a 40% tip to a young boy who went to the back and prepared gravy just for us and brought it to us in a bowl because there was none on the bar and we didn't like mashed potatoes without it. The places I eat at are not even take your order places, just like Shoney's or Golden Corral where all the girls do is refill your drink and bring you plates and take the dirty ones away. I know a lot of people who don't think servers in those places deserve as much as someone who takes your order and carries you your meal. But I tip them %15 percent anyway.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:00 AM   #41
Refugee

OK if your getting $2.50/hr then there is something seriously wrong with the state/country in which you live. I've worked in a restaurant and none of the girls get less then $7.00/hr plus tips. All i'm saying is there are hundred and hundreds of jobs that are thankless and hard and pay shitty but they dont get pissed off when they dont get extra money. If i'm working in a warehouse and do a good job to get an order through i dont get a tip from the customer.

And to the person in UK, she's exactly right. When i go back to Ireland they do the service for you and if you tip your looked at. It's a mentality, tipping, and the US and Canada are obsessed with it.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:27 AM   #42
New Yorker

Laws of nature :

When you eat at a restaurant in the U.S., you tip between 15%-20%. No less than 15% unless your server has been blatantly rude or incompetent to the extent that it ruined your dining experience. Even after having subpar food and/or service I still usually tip 15%.

If you are the one person in the party of friends dining together who thinks it's okay to tip 10%, or you think everyone else's tips will make up for your meager tip, or you have a rule that you never tip more than $2.00 (U.S.) even if you spent $25.00 on dinner, the fact is you're a cheapskate and you suck.

Every hair stylist that I've known expects a tip. When you get your haircut, you tip. At least $5.00.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:12 AM   #43
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler
Every hair stylist that I've known expects a tip.
Right there is reason i dont like to tip. EXPECT. Dont expect anything when its not a guarentee.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:08 AM   #44
War Child

Local Time: 08:38 AM
Speaking of tips, I remember reading after the Caroline Corr wedding that the workers at the hotel were upset they recieved NO TIPS! This despite the fact they claimed the people there, mostly celebrities, made huge messes. They also made quite a scene, with, in their words TWO VERY FAMOUS ROCK STARS running the halls of the hotel until dawn, making nuisences of themselves (Bono and Edge?) The workers said they usually get about $500-$700 tip for a party of that size, even when the people are not filthy rich. So NOTHING from millionaires is a disgrace. This was in Spain, so it was Europe, not the US. So maybe in Ireland they don't tip? I'd rather think that than that U2 and the Corrs couldn't care less about the average worker.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:48 AM   #45
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:38 PM
The fact that the party were millionaires should make no difference. Tipping is not means tested.
Dont hospitality workers in America have unions?