Is a 20% tip not good enough anymore? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2003, 03:16 AM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Leeloo

Me too! When it reaches the point where you owe someone just for ringing you up, it's scary. It's one thing if a person hast taken your order, brought your food, refilled your drinks, and severd you well, but I don't think a person who merely rang up a cash register has anything else coming. Now even hotel maids expect handouts, as do hairstylists, delivery boys, etc. I'm tired of stores, not just resturants anymore, expecting customers to subsidize the low wages of their help.

Tipping hairstylists really bugs me.

I've done it twice at my current salon out of guilt and then felt dumb for doing so.

I mean, it is my stylist's job to give me a good haircut. I shouldn't have to tip when it comes out well!! And most stylists in independent salons make good money--I know with booth rental and the whims of management, it can be less but still. I worked as a receptionist at a salon and on a Saturday, the owner/head stylist pulled in hundreds of dollars...and people were still expected to leave tips ranging from $5-$15 dollars.

Despite fetching them hot coffee, wine and food, I *never* got tipped.

And yet, when a grocery sacker helps you out with your things, they are not supposed to be given tips at all. Considering the perfectly healthy people I helped load groceries, this always seemed a bit unfair. I never even thought about getting any, then one day someone gave me one--of course I tried to give it back, I was so shocked but they insisted. It was nice.

Old 11-03-2003, 03:24 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AvsGirl41

Tipping hairstylists really bugs me.

I've done it twice at my current salon out of guilt and then felt dumb for doing so.

I mean, it is my stylist's job to give me a good haircut. I shouldn't have to tip when it comes out well!! And most stylists in independent salons make good money--I know with booth rental and the whims of management, it can be less but still. I worked as a receptionist at a salon and on a Saturday, the owner/head stylist pulled in hundreds of dollars...and people were still expected to leave tips ranging from $5-$15 dollars.
I'm not sure where you live but most hair stylists I know do not make very good money. (unless they work in a trendy top notch salon in Chicago, for example) There are usually two types of employment for salons. The first is a system where salons take a large cut of a hair stylists cut/color, ect. For example if a hair cut costs $25 I have heard of salons taking any where from 10%-60%. The other system paying rent. A stylist must pay his or her employer "rent" to work at a salon. This amount varies widely.
I don't know any hair stylist at a decent salon that is paid an hourly wage.

Anyway, I don't feel bad tipping when I get my hair done, but then again I really like my stylist and I know that I could never do myself what she does for me.

Old 11-03-2003, 07:15 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 01:30 AM
In reponse to the bartender statements: If you're at a busy bar and you tip generously upfront (say, $5), you will NOT be ignored. If you are, the bartender will notice the look on your face and never EVER neglect you again. The key is to tip early when busy. If it's a slower night of the week and the bar's crowd is sparse at best, tip small increments with every other drink or run the risk of being ignored. By small I mean a quarter to 50 cents per beer or a dollar per drink. That's the unspoken rule in my book and it almost always warrants excellent service with a smile and a bit of wit too. It's your call.

Conversely, if you're at a club that charges a cover, and then charges you $4.25 for a freakin' beer then all I have to say is, "Why did you go to the club". Clubs have always charged more for their beers and drinks!!!! It's not the bartenders fault, and if you choose to ignore their service, they'll ignore your presence until they damn well feel like helping you out with your requests.

Boo-yah!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2003, 08:48 PM   #19
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Danospano
In reponse to the bartender statements: If you're at a busy bar and you tip generously upfront (say, $5), you will NOT be ignored. If you are, the bartender will notice the look on your face and never EVER neglect you again. The key is to tip early when busy. If it's a slower night of the week and the bar's crowd is sparse at best, tip small increments with every other drink or run the risk of being ignored. By small I mean a quarter to 50 cents per beer or a dollar per drink. That's the unspoken rule in my book and it almost always warrants excellent service with a smile and a bit of wit too. It's your call.

Conversely, if you're at a club that charges a cover, and then charges you $4.25 for a freakin' beer then all I have to say is, "Why did you go to the club". Clubs have always charged more for their beers and drinks!!!! It's not the bartenders fault, and if you choose to ignore their service, they'll ignore your presence until they damn well feel like helping you out with your requests.

Boo-yah!!!!!!!
That is the exact reason i wont tip a bartender. All they care about is giving service to people that leave tips. Last time i checked a tip was something people left when you went above and beyond what the customer expected. Its not there to bribe your server into giving you service.

I dont go to club often, but the once in a while time that i do they arent seeing alot of my money unless they do something for me that i never expected. Give me a round on the house after i've bought 100$ worth of drinks and you'll see a return. If not you arent seeing anything from me. This is the sole reason i only order from waitress's.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:06 PM   #20
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

I'm not sure where you live but most hair stylists I know do not make very good money. (unless they work in a trendy top notch salon in Chicago, for example) There are usually two types of employment for salons. The first is a system where salons take a large cut of a hair stylists cut/color, ect. For example if a hair cut costs $25 I have heard of salons taking any where from 10%-60%. The other system paying rent. A stylist must pay his or her employer "rent" to work at a salon. This amount varies widely.
I don't know any hair stylist at a decent salon that is paid an hourly wage.

Anyway, I don't feel bad tipping when I get my hair done, but then again I really like my stylist and I know that I could never do myself what she does for me.

I live in Denver, and I worked in a nice, but hardly trendy or top notch salon. And I was in charge of the book-keeping, which meant I had to collect the booth rent from the stylists. I can't remember what the booth rent was now, I'm thinking it was about $100-$150 every week, or every other week. I do know that even with that cut (which went towards the overall rent/upkeep of the salon) the stylists were doing very well--without tips. One haircut and highlight can cover that, easily.

I also know how much the products one buys are marked up--everything outside of tax can be pocketed. Bottles of shampoo were usually marked up alot. And this was definitely *not* an upscale salon, just your typical surburban strip mall one.

I know there are salons who take large percentages, but it's rather the same argument as tipping a waiter--I shouldn't have to make up for the low percentage the person is making. I'm paying $100.00 to get my hair done, plus any product I buy, and adding another $10-$15 hurts. I love the way my hair comes out, my stylist does a great job, but it's insane to be expected to tip on top of it.

I guess I could be totally off, but none of the stylists I have had or worked for seemed to be starving.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:10 PM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 06:30 AM
Of course they all don't get paid well. Of course they all want more money. But get real. It's ridiculous to pay almost the price of what you bought, ate or got done. It only runs up the price of everything. I still think the problem is greedy, tight business owners coming to expect customers to help pay their employees after they have already paid for the product or service. Oh yeah, it would be great for people to keep handing you extra money. But they have to realize, most of us can't afford it and are struggling ourselves.

I am furious when a place adds in the tip on the end of the bill, and then the have the waiteress tell you with a smile and a fake friendly voice, it was "to save you the time and trouble!" That is presumptuous and rude. I reserve the right to tip based on the service.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:35 PM   #22
Refugee

Bonoman: By your rationale a bartender must ignore everyone else in the entire bar to please you, or suffer the consequences implying they're not worthy of a tip. For someone to go out of their way for precious, little YOU, they'd probably get a meager tip while getting nothing from everyone else. Now, if the bartender is inept at his job, and I think we all know how that differs from what I'm talking about, then of course they shouldn't get ANYTHING. I've been there, man. Unfortunately, working as a courteous bartender I have seen days when I've gone beyond the call of duty and never seen a cent. It happens more often than customers realize, so the fault was presumably started by the tightwad customers; not the bartenders...all those years ago

As for the managers/owners of bars and restaurants: They typical pay their bartenders a minimum wage of $5.15, and sometimes more all depending on what type of bar. I've heard that girls at those Coyote Ugly and Bad Girls bars make upward of $15 per hour plus tips. Most waitress make less than minimum wage. For the amount of work required in a bar setting it's ludacris to only get paid by way of tips. They're servant, slavish wages and on top of that you get no respect and 1 out of 3 customers are rude, indignant, and sactimonious bastards. That's not an overstatement.

Believe me, I understand your frustration. I've been on the other side and felt slighted because of maladroitness, but most bartenders are eager to make you happy. It wouldn't make sense to piss-off the hand that feeds you.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:08 AM   #23
Refugee

All i want from a bartender is to relize who is there first, to not be particluar on who they are serving (as in dont be going after the hot girls because you think they are going to go home with you, not you but the guy) also when i have been waiting for 10 minutes and have seen 5 people go ahead of me and i start to raise my voice out of frustration not to get the bouncer to ask me to leave. The last guy who did that got the half pint of guiness thrown at him.

Hey maybe i just hate bartenders who think they control all things at the bar instead of just giving me my fucking drink. But get me into a small pub and a pint of anything and treat me right and you'll be very pleased with the tip i leave. I'm not cheap but just picky on who get my money!
Old 11-04-2003, 03:20 AM   #24
Refugee

Old 11-04-2003, 09:00 AM   #25
Acrobat

Though the greatest thing is when they assume as tip and don't bother to give you any change. Happened at said Philty McNasty's. I was like WTF! Iwas gonna give you the 50 cents probably the 75 cause you served me quickly, but at least give me the dignity of tipping rather than just assuming it's yours by right. And they wonder why they need to pull gimmicks to pull incustomers. The last timeI was there was for the reunion thing and I haven't been back since, nor will I be going. The best is that they're moving into a bigger location whihc has been the kiss of death for any buisness that has set up there. One place lost its liquor licence for selling booze to minors the other place was so useless it was empty 90% of the time. Here's to a third stike on the location.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:30 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:30 AM
Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by Leeloo
I am furious when a place adds in the tip on the end of the bill, and then the have the waiteress tell you with a smile and a fake friendly voice, it was "to save you the time and trouble!" That is presumptuous and rude. I reserve the right to tip based on the service.
The only time I put the tip on a bill is when I waited on a party of 8 or more. On our menu it stated that 15% gratuity would be added for parties of 8 or more. You can bet your ass I wrote it out on every check. Especially if I was in the banquet room waiting on 20 people who had seperate checks and kept moving seats on me. I even wrote out what 20% would be sometimes. It drives me insane when someone doesn't tip because someone else at the table did. At my job I had to pay out 20% of my charge tips, for taxes, and 2% of my total sales for bartenders and bus boys. Damn, I hated being a waitress. I think everyone should have to do it for a life lesson. A please and a thank you go a long way for servers.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:51 PM   #27
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 10:30 PM
I habitually tip 20% or more, even when I get marginal service.

To start with, the wages are crap. And it just can't be easy to serve people all day. Who gets blamed when the food isn't cooked properly or it takes too long to get to the table? The servers of course, even though the problem is most likely in the kitchen. I don't know if I could stand there with a smile on my face and listen to someone berate me because their steak isn't cooked right.

The only thing I do take issue with is the gratuity added for large parties. Fine, I understand its designed to keep the server from getting stiffed after the extra work it takes for a large group but when they add the 15% or 18% on for me, they've just screwed themselves out of the 20% or 30% tip I planned on leaving.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:09 PM   #28
Acrobat

I just have issues with being expected to make up the difference for restrauts paying their waiters shite wages. I don't mind tipping so long as my waiter does a good job, but my family's never had huge ammounts of money to throw around. We don't eat out much for that reason. Why should we feel bad cause we can't afford to tip hugely. Couriers are vastly underpaid for the high stress work they do (my did that for a few months in a tight spot and nearly worked himself to death). They are under stress to do as much in one day as possible, on the road 8 or 10 hours a day, have big car expenditures and get paid terribly. Do they get tips or 20%. Nope. Right there I see a double standard. I tip waiters when they give me something to tip them for. It's not much. Be courteous, get my order right and keep your eyes open so you can see whenI want service. I can tell when someone's being overworked and covering too many table as tip them even if those criteria aren't perfectly met. I'm fair, I say please and thank you. I don't bitch out the waiter for kitchen screw ups. But because I don't give 20% when I can't afford it I'm supposed to feel bad? Sorry no way. BTW you can bet I'll tip any couriers I meet, and you should too, it a tough under valued job a lot worse than waiting tables (though keep in mind I'm not slighting waiters, that's not easy either but Couriers have it lots worse, trust me).
Old 11-04-2003, 06:15 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Blacksword
I just have issues with being expected to make up the difference for restrauts paying their waiters shite wages. I don't mind tipping so long as my waiter does a good job, but my family's never had huge ammounts of money to throw around
I agree with Blackie. That's my story too.

I am always nice and courteous to them, very understanding when they're busy and don't refill my drink even though my mouth is so dry I can't eat if I see their hands are full. I have small children and I always clean up, or at least localize, their messes before I go. Yes, I have been a waitress. It's hard, humilating work. But everything he said is true of most people. If I were Bono I'd go throwing hundred dollar bills on everyone's table just to make their day. But I can't and I shouldn't be made to feel guilty over it.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:28 PM   #30
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 10:30 PM
btw...I was only speaking for myself in my last post. I never said "everyone" should tip 20%.

I don't think anyone should be guilted into tipping and if you are struggling yourself to make ends meet, then you should tip what you can afford. I don't want to get into a discussion of what job is more stressful or who should get more tips. I simply stated my own opinions on tipping.

I tip servers, my hairdresser, parking valets, bellmen, moving men and yes, couriers and delivery drivers. I don't do it because anyone has made me feel guilty, I do it because service industry jobs suck and they work hard at what they do.