Irish election May 2007 - Ahern set for 3rd term, Sinn Fein fail to make breakthrough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It seems to be a good time to be living in Ireland.

Not to sound cheesy or sentimental but Ireland should be seen as a beacon of hope for regions that have seen bitter, violent conflict for so many years.

The Republic Of Ireland currently has the 4th highest standard of living in the world according to the latest UN Human Development Index. A very rich, but also expensive country. Simply owning a house in Dublin has turned many people into millionaires over the past 15 years. The North is behind the South in standard of living, but is becoming a more attractive place for people in England to move to, given how crowded England is compartively.

There ain't a lot of housing here in the Norh, currently House prices are rising faster than any other part of the UK.

I'm thinking of doing a Work-Abroad program once I'm done my degree. My choices are narrowed down to Ireland/Britain (I can do 2 years in this program) or Australia (1 year program).

Is it going to be prohibitively expensive to go to Ireland, though?

Housing pretty much everywhere in Ireland and Britain is mad...the average house cost in Britain is over £100,000 ($200,000 I guess).......Anywhere in the south east/west is going to be much much higher, similarly high in Dublin.

If you are looking just to rent which I guess you are, I don't think it should be too much:hmm:

LJT said:
Housing pretty much everywhere in Ireland and Britain is mad...the average house cost in Britain is over £100,000 ($200,000 I guess).......Anywhere in the south east/west is going to be much much higher, similarly high in Dublin.

If you are looking just to rent which I guess you are, I don't think it should be too much:hmm:

$200,000? For an entire house??? Haha, over here that is a bargain!

unico said:

Yes but I'm assuming that's the average price in Britain. The average house in the US probably isn't any more (could even be less). When you factor in the poorer and rural areas of the country, it isn't surprising.

Try buying something in London and you'll faint. It's more expensive to live there than in any city in the US.

As Anitram says...£100,000 is the average for everywhere in the UK, the poorer areas as well...as I said in the southern half of the UK and any of the major cities you are looking at far in excess of that figure...likewise for Dublin.....

unico said:
i hope the housing doesn't get too high! i'm planning on moving to ireland within the next year. it must be exciting to live there during this time.

Ballpark figures:

€900 - €1,200 per month to rent a one bedroom apartment in or near the city centre.

€1,600 - €2,000 per month to rent a 3 bed house, if sharing between three people this works out quite reasonable.

In general, rentals are well out of sync with property values, which is one of the reasons some economists think there is a property price bubble here.

It's really hard to guage and compare housing costs and compare them from country to country. Is it really fair to compare the average house in the UK to the average house in the US? There are so many different factors.

200, 000 is high for where I live now, but would be a bargain in Chicago.

financeguy said:

Ballpark figures:

€900 - €1,200 per month to rent a one bedroom apartment in or near the city centre.

€1,600 - €2,000 per month to rent a 3 bed house, if sharing between three people this works out quite reasonable.

In general, rentals are well out of sync with property values, which is one of the reasons some economists think there is a property price bubble here.

is that to rent a 3 bed house near the city centre? i kinda wanna move back to ballymun :reject: the mun the mun the house of fun!

I just saw 1,100 euro for a 2 bed apt in Ballymun...I know that prices are insane in Dublin right now...esp. in rentals. Most of them are furnished though so that's something. A lot of them seem to be rented through agencies for subsidized housing...I cannot believe the govt. is essentially supporting these ridiculous prices by subsidizing these rents.

snowbunny00774 said:
I just saw 1,100 euro for a 2 bed apt in Ballymun...I know that prices are insane in Dublin right now...esp. in rentals. Most of them are furnished though so that's something. A lot of them seem to be rented through agencies for subsidized housing...I cannot believe the govt. is essentially supporting these ridiculous prices by subsidizing these rents.

are you looking to move too?

I wish!!

I go back a lot and my family own a bunch of rentals and it boggles my mind how much they are being rented for. It's creating a vicious circle though as my younger cousines are being priced out of the market to buy any new properties.

LJT said:

We're renting and next year for a flat the same size (one bedroom i.e. pokey!) the rent has risen by £70-£135. We've also looked into buying but it is impossible right now. One bedroom flats around Belfast have been selling for over £200,000. Same situation with the houses/flats in the country. Even with two salaries the estate agents have mentioned having my Da on the mortgage too.

:crack:

Lara Mullen said:

One bedroom flats around Belfast have been selling for over £200,000.

:yikes:

Don't get me started on house prices! Surely the housing boom has to break soon though? ...right? :uhoh:

^The government needs to build more houses, there is a massive lack of housing throughout the UK.

Lara Mullen said:

We're renting and next year for a flat the same size (one bedroom i.e. pokey!) the rent has risen by £70-£135. We've also looked into buying but it is impossible right now. One bedroom flats around Belfast have been selling for over £200,000. Same situation with the houses/flats in the country. Even with two salaries the estate agents have mentioned having my Da on the mortgage too.

:crack:

These days I think a commune may be the only way to go:hmm:

unico said:

In N.Ireland it's £215,000 for an average house price which is about $430, 000. They say house prices have gone up by 46% here in a year (over 50% for semi-detached hosues). :crack:

Two of my flatmates and I are looking for a house or a flat next year in Dublin within a 20 minute walk of Trinity... jeeesus. 400 euro a month each (1200 in total) is about the lowest we're finding. And we're talking student accomodation here, nothing fancy! Just bedrooms and a kitchen!

Back
Top Bottom