Ireland 2007 - cocaine nation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a random thought, but my friends and I thought this high use of cocaine in society is a sign of the increasing affluence of Ireland coupled with the inability to really cope with it well-- given it had been such a poor country for so long and it became affluent so quickly. I think the archbishop of Ireland talked about this too in his interview in Hot Press a couple months ago.

The Sad Punk said:
I hope Bono's okay. :(

No, he's doing pretty Bad.

Was that the worst joke ever made on Interference?

I've noticed usage of it here in Sydney skyrocket over the past few years. That, for some reason, has not been reflected in any drop in price however. It's still a very, very expensive drug here. In the UK however - ridiculously cheap and MUCH stronger, and as common and acceptable as it has become in Sydney, it's still nothing like it is in London, and I assume that might be the same in Dublin.

Fille Friday said:
Just a random thought, but my friends and I thought this high use of cocaine in society is a sign of the increasing affluence of Ireland coupled with the inability to really cope with it well-- given it had been such a poor country for so long and it became affluent so quickly.

Agreed.

it's only one of the most lethal signs of this, anyway. Karen Millen on Grafton Street? BT2? Gucci handbags for Christmas, and over-laden Brown Thomas bag people. It's all a symbol of this, whichever addiction it is, it's still a sign of the times in Ireland now. I wouldn't know much about the other parts of the country, but I remember Cork was getting that way, and the Brown Thomas in Galway was expanding, too. The negative comes with the positive.

But from what I remember of all those Hot Press articles from the 80s, Ireland and Dublin in particular was awash with heroin, which is a "poor" drug if you will. It was described as the heroin capital of Europe.

Now that Ireland is going through a boom, and the Gen Xs and Gen Ys aren't leaving anymore but working in Ireland in good paying jobs, doesn't the increase in cocaine use just correspond with the trend in other cities in that it has a large, young and prosperous population, which likes to indulge in drugs?

I think 'in other cities' is a key point as well, because Ireland has opened up as a place for others to travel TO not away from for jobs, and a nice standard of living. I'm not saying of course immigration=higher drug use, but it is because just like everywhere else, and being a part of that melting pot of 2000s Europe, being in the politics, status quo of Europe, they'll get the best and worst that many other cities have had to deal with too, yes.

Fille Friday said:
Just a random thought, but my friends and I thought this high use of cocaine in society is a sign of the increasing affluence of Ireland coupled with the inability to really cope with it well-- given it had been such a poor country for so long and it became affluent so quickly. I think the archbishop of Ireland talked about this too in his interview in Hot Press a couple months ago.

this is what tends to happen to individuals. they suddenly have wealth, and coke is a "fun" drug (not a "tune out" drug like heroin).

Back
Top Bottom