Iraqi Olympic football team speaks out against Bush - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 08-25-2004, 11:27 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 05:07 AM
That media report about the blogs attempts to claim are Soldiers and Marines are unwilling participants in that evil war by the evil dictator Bush. Its rather obvious they are wrong on that point.

Many who opposed the war were wrong in the beginning when they predicted over a million people would die and there would be a million refugees. During the occupation, liberals such as Michael Moore have painted a disgusting and inaccurate account of what has happened in Iraq and implied inappropriate things about the conduct of coalition troops. Moore had the opportunity to shed more light on the positive work and accomplishments of our troops but instead decided to throw mud at them.

I've got friends who have returned to Iraq for second tours of duty. I just got an e-mail from one that dicussed how impressive many of the new Iraqi police and Army are! But that fact simply goes unnoticed in the media.

Have mistakes been made over the past 18 months in Iraq? Yes Has there ever been a mistake free war and nation building mission? No

But overall, the Bush administration has had it right and has accomplished an amazing amount. If John Kerry is elected president, it will be funny to watch him continue to ride the path that Bush has set, because honestly, that is really the only path that is going to achieve the goal that everyone should want, which is a prosperous, stable, democratic Iraq that is no longer a threat to its neighbors.

The path Bush has put Iraq on has elections in 2005 as well as continuing to rebuild the Iraqi military, police force and other structures vital to governing Iraq. Money for rebuilding infrastructure and economic development will continue to come in, as long as we don't have majorities of politicians to vote against the aid packages as a certain Senator did himself.

As more Iraqi military and police units become active and are able to deal with Johny Jihad and other insurgents, US and Coalition force levels can start to be reduced. This might be a few years off, but continued committment at all levels will produce this result eventually. As long as the coalitions committment to Iraq does not waver, Iraq will become a stable democracy, eventually. But before that time comes, in my opinion, it is absurd to scream or suggest failure every time an enevitable problem occurs.

Old 08-25-2004, 11:38 PM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 12:07 AM
Originally posted by STING2

No one said that we should only listen to the soldiers. My point is that their positive views on the work they are doing in Iraq are being ignored by most media organizations especially liberal ones. There are 160,000 coalitions troops in Iraq and in addition to that, thousands of civilians and civil affairs personal, Diplomatic Corp personal, doing a wide range of jobs in securing and rebuilding Iraq. Their views are certainly not the only views, but I dare you to find a more professional and experienced group of people currently on the ground in Iraq then this group which has people from over 50 different countries around the world.
I agree but their view needs to placed with the civilians and everyone else in order to gain a balanced view. The soldiers alone will not provide a balanced view.

Old 08-26-2004, 07:20 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I agree but their view needs to placed with the civilians and everyone else in order to gain a balanced view. The soldiers alone will not provide a balanced view.
I did mention the thousands of civilians in Iraq doing all kinds of vital work, government, business, economic development, humanitarian aid, etc. If you read the paragraph you quoted, you''ll see that I include all foreigners in Iraq working to help the country develop into a stable, prosperous, and democratic country.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:29 AM   #34
love, blood, life
Local Time: 03:07 PM
I suggest that everbody goes out to watch Gunner Palace, the quote from the soldier about what he thinks hits the nail on the head; "You may not like this, but please respect it."
Old 08-27-2004, 02:47 AM   #35
Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 06:07 AM

good quote, we should both respect the other opinions
Old 09-07-2004, 04:45 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
atleast they can speak out now