Iraqi Democracy - Leader Chosen by U S? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2003, 12:24 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:00 PM
Iraqi Democracy - Leader Chosen by U S?

Quote:
US chooses Saddam's successor
By Tom Allard, Foreign Affairs Writer
February 4 2003

The United States has chosen a successor to Saddam Hussein from Iraq's notoriously fractious opposition groups, according to a former Iraqi diplomat who lives in Sydney.

Mohamed al-Jabiri, who has just returned from in talks with Washington, said the White House has given its "blessing" to the head of the Iraqi National Congress, Ahmed Chalabi, to lead a transitional coalition government in Iraq once Saddam has been deposed.

Dr al-Jabiri, who talked to Mr Chalabi over the phone last month, said: "He told me that he would take over. He has the blessing of the White House and the State Department."

He said Mr Chalabi had been in talks with another major Iraqi opposition group, the Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution in Iraq and the Iranian Government while in Tehran.

Mr Chalabi moved to Sala-huddin in Kurdish-controlled northern Iraq last week, ahead of an expected United States-led invasion. Opposition forces will hold a summit in northern Iraq on February 15.

Mr Chalabi, who is a progressive liberal, is far from universally popular among Iraqi exiles. However, successful talks in Tehran, and Iranian assistance in getting him into Iraq, shows he has galvanised considerable support from the Iraqi opposition.

Analysts believe disunity in the Iraqi opposition would make it near impossible to form a transitional government from its ranks, leading to speculation that the US will have to effectively occupy Iraq for a year or longer to maintain order.

Dr al-Jabiri said the US was keen to avoid such a situation, aware that it would create resentment among the Iraqi people and in the Middle East.

Mr Chalabi, the 58-year old scion of an Iraqi financial dynasty, left Iraq aged 11, spending most of his exile in Britain and the US, where he studied mathematics. In 1996 he led an unsuccessful uprising against Saddam that resulted in hundreds of deaths. A sentence of 22 years hard labour hangs over him in Jordan where he was convicted in his absence in 1992 of fraud.

Dr al-Jabiri, who spent two years in solitary confinement before escaping to the US and then Australia, has been working with the US State Department and Iraqi exiles to draw up a political blueprint for Iraq after Saddam, developing plans for health, education, the media and judiciary.

He said a new government would be in place three months after Saddam's removal and elections for a national parliament after one year.

The aim is to have a new constitution that would adopt a federal structure to ease power-sharing among Iraq's different religious and ethnic groups.

Most Iraqis are Shi'ite Muslims but there is a substantial Kurdish community to the north. Sunni Muslims, Christians, Assyrians and Turks also make up the country's 22 million population.

"We all agreed that a federation must be established," Dr al-Jabiri said.

"We have drafted over 1000 pages of new rules and regulations. It's really quite a work. It's very impressive."

A meeting in Washington on March 7 is scheduled to formally adopt the plan.

Dr al-Jabiri has been most involved in the "transitional justice working group", which is examining ways to prosecute Saddam and leading figures in the Iraqi regime.

He said that they would be prosecuted in Iraqi courts, not in the International Court of Justice in the Hague. "We don't want to give Saddam the chance like [former Yugoslav leader Slobodan] Milosevic to use it for propaganda," he said.

International jurists and the media would be invited to attend, he said.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...122320739.html

Old 03-06-2003, 12:33 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Future in his hands ...
Mohamed al-Jabiri
holds the final draft
of the blueprint for
a post-Saddam justice
system.

Old 03-06-2003, 02:34 AM   #3
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:00 PM
I hopehe is the right man for the job.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:39 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:00 PM
will
he offer
free health care?

DB9
Old 03-06-2003, 06:00 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

it makes me distinctly uncomfortable to have one sovereign nation deciding who should be in power in other sovereign nations.

Old 03-06-2003, 07:43 AM   #6
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 02:00 AM
Yeah - interesting first democracy lesson: the winner of the war decides the new emperor .. oh sorry, the new democratic leader.

Klaus
Old 03-06-2003, 08:27 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

This reminds me of the time Bush and Sharon said they wanted a democratic government for the Palestines, as long as they didn't elect Arafat.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:17 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
This reminds me of the time Bush and Sharon said they wanted a democratic government for the Palestines, as long as they didn't elect Arafat.
What is interesting is that Arafat's Fatah movement, which controls the Palestinian Parliament / Legislature (whatever they call it), has told Arafat that they will only approve his deputy as prime minister. Arafat wants to appoint a wealthy individual, unaffiliated with politics thus far.

What makes that interesting is that Arafat's deputy is seen as a moderate, and, in addition to being supported by the Palestinians, he has the approval of Israel as an acceptable leader. The catch? Arafat doesn't want to cede power, and the wealthy individual is seen as a puppet prime minister. Fatah, essentially, wants to turn Arafat into a figurehead. Interesting, isn't it?

Melon
Old 03-06-2003, 09:19 AM   #9
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
it makes me distinctly uncomfortable to have one sovereign nation deciding who should be in power in other sovereign nations.
Yup. This worries me.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:21 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

It's also interesting that this Iraqi fellow has the approval of Iran. It doesn't surprise me that, silently, they want Saddam to go, as well; although, I have a feeling, in the back of their mind, they feel that the U.S. will take them out as well in a few years.

Seeing will be believing, I guess. I can't imagine that anything would be worse than Saddam, though.

Melon
Old 03-06-2003, 11:19 AM   #11
Ghost of Love

How democratic.

Of course, Im expecting that a confirming election will be offered to the people shortly thereafter, right?

RIGHT?!??!

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

Old 03-06-2003, 03:57 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
Me too. This is "democratic"? Give me a break. I do not want my government to choose the "leader" of a "liberated" Iraq. That would *not* be a liberation in my book. A democratic leader will be one chosen by the Iraqi people--all of them, not just Faction X.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:08 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Hmm. Where was all the outrage when the US "chose" the leader of Afghanistan?

Also, its not like the people of Iraq have a choice in who their current leader is anyways, despite his 100% “victory”.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:59 PM   #14
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
nbcrusader: Well afik it wasn't a US choice, there were some meetings, also it wasn't possible to ask the people of Afghanistan (Elections during war aren't easy) there were several countries and several meeting before choosing the temporary leader.

If one country decides the next leader memories of the other US installed dictators come back, that's the difference

Klaus
Old 03-08-2003, 03:57 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:00 AM
That's right, in Afghanistan there were consultations, meetings, etc, etc leading up to the choice of Harmid Karzai as leader. The agreement in Germany was signed by many Afghani political leaders. These included women and the representatives of all of the ethnic groups in the country. There was another meeting of the representatives of the people six months later. There should be meetings and talks with people in Iraq. I object to the planners in Washington just hauling off and picking a "leader" for Iraq without involving the Iraqi people. This would be very undemocratic. If Iraq is to be really "liberated" then they will have to have leaders who respect the rights of the Iraqi people to choose their political representatives.