Iraqi Blog reports a Coup D'etat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]A coup d'etat is taking place in Iraq a the moment. Al-Shu'la, Al-Hurria, Thawra (Sadr city), and Kadhimiya (all Shi'ite neighbourhoods in Baghdad) have been declared liberated from occupation. Looting has already started at some places downtown, a friend of mine just returned from Sadun street and he says Al-Mahdi militiamen are breaking stores and clinics open and also at Tahrir square just across the river from the Green Zone. News from other cities in the south indicate that Sadr followers (tens of thousands of them) have taken over IP stations and governorate buildings in Kufa, Nassiriya, Ammara, Kut, and Basrah. Al-Jazeera says that policemen in these cities have sided with the Shia insurgents, which doesn't come as a surprise to me since a large portion of the police forces in these areas were recruited from Shi'ite militias and we have talked about that ages ago. And it looks like this move has been planned a long time ago.[/Q]

Gee, maybe that is why their police would not go into areas and do their jobs.

http://healingiraq.blogspot.com/

What a mess. This sucks. I really feel badly for the many decent Iraqis who just want to live their lives in peace. I just got *another* breaking news message from CNN about another attack and more killings :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
if we had pulled out right after capturing sadam and let the different sects battle it out amongst themselves... we would have been theoreticly killed by the press, the foreign governments that opposed the war to begin with, and anyone who dislikes bush etc etc... for leaving the innocent iraqis to the slaughter...

so instead we stay in and more and more americans die.

in the 80s we were slammed for supporting dictators that violated human rights just because they were anti-communism... could it be now that the best solution was to continue to let saddam gas and kill his own people in mass? i certainly hope not... but right now it looks like the only thing that can keep these lunatics in check is a bigger lunatic.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if we had pulled out right after capturing sadam and let the different sects battle it out amongst themselves... we would have been theoreticly killed by the press, the foreign governments that opposed the war to begin with, and anyone who dislikes bush etc etc... for leaving the innocent iraqis to the slaughter...

so instead we stay in and more and more americans die.

in the 80s we were slammed for supporting dictators that violated human rights just because they were anti-communism... could it be now that the best solution was to continue to let saddam gas and kill his own people in mass? i certainly hope not... but right now it looks like the only thing that can keep these lunatics in check is a bigger lunatic.

There were a few that cried for the US to pull out, but I think for the most part, even those who didn't support the war, were smart enough to see that once we went in we will have to stay for the duration.

This is just a result of a poorly planned and hurried war. This administration has made it's bed, unfortunately it's others that will have to die in it.

this should be the world's problem... not any one adminstration's problem. the UN should have been united in backing up the resolutions that once upon a time they were united in passing. that's what pisses me off... that the dissenters in the UN sit back and blame bush and his politics for all this... meanwhile there were members of the UN on the take durring the whole Food for Oil program... france, germany and russia all had poorly kept secret business deals with saddam... it's all bullcrap... both sides.

just look at spain... they have a horrific terrorist attack, and the people vote out the incumbant leader and replace him with someone who vowed to pull spanish troops out of Iraq... because that's what the terrorists said... pull out, and we'll stop the attacks. so the election is held, the supporter of action in iraq is voted out, and well what do ya know... another friggin bomb was found AFTER the election. well who woulda thunk that terrorists weren't trustworthy. gee... what a shocker. you mean to tell me that if they're shown that they can get there way with a few well placed bombs that they won't do it again? my word... i'm stunned.

thank you for reminding me about why we're doing this... why we're in a global war on terror. i was begining to sway towards pulling out... but you managed to swing me back to staying in and finishing the damn job... no matter how long it takes.

I agree that there's bullshit on all sides of this issue. I still don't agree with how the U.S. went about going into this war, but I do agree that they need to stay there until the end.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I agree that there's bullshit on all sides of this issue. I still don't agree with how the U.S. went about going into this war, but I do agree that they need to stay there until the end.

There really is. It's on days like this that I think of something David Crosby once said--"Politics doesn't work, there's got to be a better way to run the planet".

Back
Top Bottom