Iraq handover of sovereignty completed two days early

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
The handover of sovereignty to the interim Iraqi government took place at 10:26 a.m. Baghdad time today, in a surprise move two days before the June 30 deadline previously announced by the U.S.-led coalition. After receiving the transfer document from coalition administrator Paul Bremer, President Sheikh Ghazi al-Yawar said: "This is a historic and happy day for us in Iraq."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/06/28/iraq.handover/index.html

That's about the only thing I could come up with too Klaus. Must have been grave fears for some kind of trouble, understandably. When I heard it I laughed a bit and thought 'get that up your clackers' :wink: Seemed to go pretty smoothly.

This is great news, I think that just like appointing a government a month (28 days now) before the handover it is literally Jumping the Gun of the terrorists.

Brilliant move.

They have accomplished what everyone has wanted and ruined all the Sovereignty Day bombings planned at certain Mosques on Friday.

The continued activities of the insurgents will show that the US is not the problem - it is a desire for power by a few that is the problem.

It's the equivalent of the end of Vietnam. Just this time there's no helicopters being pushed off of aircraft carriers.
I see no other way though. Leave the country in a mess, and claim victory. Let the Iraqi's now kill each other now.

I don't believe troops are pulling out Dawgie, rumour is that Rumsfeld might even be sending more. Anyway, it's an important day for Iraq, I hope the insurgents will now lose a lot of their support from the locals.

I fervently hope, for the sake of all of the Iraqi people, that things will calm down in Iraq. No one should have to live with terror squads in their back yard. The question is, will this stop the bombings? I hope so.

RockNRollDawgie said:
It's the equivalent of the end of Vietnam. Just this time there's no helicopters being pushed off of aircraft carriers.
I see no other way though. Leave the country in a mess, and claim victory. Let the Iraqi's now kill each other now.

Your analogy is hopelessly fraught with error. With 100K troops still on the ground to assist the new Iraqi government, there is a sizable force to prevent outright civil wars by power hungry imans.

Well good move, I'm shocked.

Now, are they ready? Time will tell. As far as leaving, I don't think we'll be leaving anytime soon, in fact if Bush stays in power I feel a draft may be in order.

DrTeeth said:
I don't believe troops are pulling out Dawgie, rumour is that Rumsfeld might even be sending more. Anyway, it's an important day for Iraq, I hope the insurgents will now lose a lot of their support from the locals.

Guess I was hoping for the best Thre'll be troops in Iraq of some
kind for decades I bet.
Hopefully, with this turn over of "power," things will calm down a bit.

Briliant move but it was stupid not to call the Dutch troops and warn them. I guess that it say`s enough about the real repect for the rest of the coalition troops.

The news agencies are reporting that approx. 20B are missing from oil program and reconstruction dollars. Isn't that more than was supposedley lost in the food for oil. And we did it all in a year.

You can always count on there being some nasty comment in any good news involving this administration.

[Q]France moved to normalize business ties with Iraq on Monday, just hours after the U.S.-led coalition occupying the country announced it had transferred sovereignty to an interim government two days ahead of schedule.

The French Finance Ministry said in a statement that full economic ties with Iraq will be restored immediately following Monday's hand-over of power to the country's interim government. [/Q]

On a good side, France is on board.:wink:

So, what's going to happen now? I guess the first thing will be to recognize the government. What do they have to do to get the government recognized?

Internet people in Iraq have a unique problem. Their country doesn't have a "national" code the way other countries do. This is a part of government and other URL's. It should be .iq. But this code was acquired by a company that got in hot water with the government over something. They did something illegal. The Iraq museum in Baghdad has already registered a domain, I think it's iraqmuseum. Some Iraqi wanted to start a site with the .iq. code in it and just put "Republic of Iraq" on it. The agency that assigns national Internet codes wouldn't let him. He said "we just want to prove the country exists". The agency still says no. So while Iranian sites can use .ir. Iraqi sites don't have a national code, and they don't want to share one with another country.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom