"Iraq, an experiment in an American laboratory." surging. purging, and regurgitating - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #76
Refugee

Local Time: 09:12 PM
Yeah. I wonder the same. I think we are at a critical juncture.

I'm thinking of deploying myself.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:12 PM
Quote:
Admiral in charge of Iraq war resigns

Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:42pm EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Adm. William Fallon, head of the U.S. military command in charge of Iraq and Afghanistan, stepped down on Tuesday in the wake of a magazine article that portrayed him as challenging President George W. Bush on Iran policy, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said.

"The current embarrassing situation and public perception of differences between my views and administration policy and the distraction this causes from the mission make this the right thing to do," Gates quoted Fallon as saying in a letter of resignation.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:42 PM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

http://people-press.org/reports/disp...3?ReportID=401

Public awareness of the number of American military fatalities in Iraq has declined sharply since last August. Today, just 28% of adults are able to say that approximately 4,000 Americans have died in the Iraq war. As of March 10, the Department of Defense had confirmed the deaths of 3,974 U.S. military personnel in Iraq.

In August 2007, 54% correctly identified the fatality level at that time (about 3,500 deaths). In previous polls going back to the spring of 2004, about half of respondents could correctly estimate the number of U.S. fatalities around the time of the survey.

In the current poll, more respondents underestimated than overestimated the number of fatalities. A plurality of 35% said that there have been about 3,000 troop deaths, and another 11% said there have been 2,000 deaths. Just under a quarter (23%) said the number of fatalities is closer to 5,000.

The drop in awareness comes as press attention to the war has waned. According to the News Content Index conducted by the Project for Excellence in Journalism, the percentage of news stories devoted to the war has sharply declined since last year, dropping from an average of 15% of the newshole in July to just 3% in February.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

getting

out of Iraq

will have less traction in the November election
than it did in 2006

which may be good
because if Obama is the nominee
he has made many different representations about Iraq

and I do expect him to allow a long term involvement there

not the pull out
that many of his avid believers have been suckered into believing.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:38 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
"I must say, I'm a little envious," Bush said. "If I were slightly younger and not employed here, I think it would be a fantastic experience to be on the front lines of helping this young democracy succeed."

"It must be exciting for you ... in some ways romantic, in some ways, you know, confronting danger. You're really making history, and thanks," Bush said.

I guess he forgot about the time he was younger and not employed

and had a chance to serve in Viet Nam
and went AWOL.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:19 AM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Yes war is so romantic, very poor choice of words there

BAGHDAD (AP) - The overall U.S. death toll in Iraq rose to 4,000 after four soldiers were killed in a roadside bombing in Baghdad, a grim milestone that is likely to fuel calls for the withdrawal of American forces as the war enters its sixth year.

The American deaths occurred Sunday, the same day rockets and mortars pounded the U.S.-protected Green Zone in Baghdad and a wave of attacks left at least 61 Iraqis dead nationwide.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:55 PM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

I am still 'kind of' following this war.

OK, I guess I am following this as much or more than many people.

It is difficult, there has been so much propaganda. First from the administration, and the media, misrepresenting how poorly it really was going for so long.

It is difficult to believe how this could really improve, with such a terrible, terrible start and lack of planing, poor execution.

But, lately it does seem like many things are going in the right direction.

Could it be possible that with 5-6 years of a complete cluster-f*ck
- a corner could actually be getting turned? and there really is a light? and there really is "an end of the tunnel'.

I have never bought the bullshit that the "consequences of failure are too great" for us not to stay the course. If it is a losing proposition no matter what, it is better to take the loss 'sooner than later".

But, lately I am thinking all the bullshit that "we have turned a corner", "things are looking up", "there is a way for this to end in the right way". May actually be true.

There is real progress on ending the violence.
I heard a report today, among several others on NPR lately, where the Iraqi people in the street are actually praising Maliki for the restoration to a normalcy.

I have never supported this Bush Administration in anything.

I think this War should not have been fought.

But, I will not let my strong dislike of Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld
allow me to want this to end with an Iraqi country that can not succeed, just to spite Bush.

A successful Iraqi government will never justify the way this War began, the way it was prosecuted and the costs in blood and money.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:27 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Here is another article that is leading me to believe
that there may be "light at the end of the tunnel."

Iraqis losing patience with militiamen - Los Angeles Times
Old 05-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #84
Refugee

There is definitely progress. Good progress. Last 2 weeks, without incendent, wich is UNPRECEDENTED!
Old 05-29-2008, 06:07 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:12 PM
When will politicians ever learn that anything they say is going to show up somewhere they don't want it to?

YouTube - Rep. Kanjorski admits the Democrats Over-Promised on Iraq

By the way, that is my Congressman.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

looks like it would be a "fun" town hall meeting

(are you upset because it got caught on tape?
not because it is true? )
Old 05-29-2008, 11:10 PM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:12 PM
No, I'm not upset it was caught on tape else I wouldn't have linked it. It is what it is. I'm not surprised. Maybe I would be more outraged if I were surprised. Maybe not. I think most politicians are sociopaths. Just hate it when our sociopaths are so PR inept.
It was kind of refreshing, though, now that I think of it. Yeah, though, maybe there is a part of me screaming at him "You stupid fuck. Lie better." The pragmatist in me in conflict with the purist in me. Increasingly the pragmatist is winning. The purist in me has other battles to fight. I've given this one over to the cynics.

My was cause I'm stuck voting for him in November cause he's running against an even worse political opportunist. The democrats can lose this seat, by the way.

And yes, his townhall meetings are fun.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #88
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:12 PM
This isn't part of the narrative
Quote:
THERE'S BEEN a relative lull in news coverage and debate about Iraq in recent weeks -- which is odd, because May could turn out to have been one of the most important months of the war. While Washington's attention has been fixed elsewhere, military analysts have watched with astonishment as the Iraqi government and army have gained control for the first time of the port city of Basra and the sprawling Baghdad neighborhood of Sadr City, routing the Shiite militias that have ruled them for years and sending key militants scurrying to Iran. At the same time, Iraqi and U.S. forces have pushed forward with a long-promised offensive in Mosul, the last urban refuge of al-Qaeda. So many of its leaders have now been captured or killed that U.S. Ambassador Ryan C. Crocker, renowned for his cautious assessments, said that the terrorists have "never been closer to defeat than they are now."

Iraq passed a turning point last fall when the U.S. counterinsurgency campaign launched in early 2007 produced a dramatic drop in violence and quelled the incipient sectarian war between Sunnis and Shiites. Now, another tipping point may be near, one that sees the Iraqi government and army restoring order in almost all of the country, dispersing both rival militias and the Iranian-trained "special groups" that have used them as cover to wage war against Americans. It is -- of course -- too early to celebrate; though now in disarray, the Mahdi Army of Moqtada al-Sadr could still regroup, and Iran will almost certainly seek to stir up new violence before the U.S. and Iraqi elections this fall. Still, the rapidly improving conditions should allow U.S. commanders to make some welcome adjustments -- and it ought to mandate an already-overdue rethinking by the "this-war-is-lost" caucus in Washington, including Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.).

ad_icon

Gen. David H. Petraeus signaled one adjustment in recent testimony to Congress, saying that he would probably recommend troop reductions in the fall going beyond the ongoing pullback of the five "surge" brigades deployed last year. Gen. Petraeus pointed out that attacks in Iraq hit a four-year low in mid-May and that Iraqi forces were finally taking the lead in combat and on multiple fronts at once -- something that was inconceivable a year ago. As a result the Iraqi government of Nouri al-Maliki now has "unparalleled" public support, as Gen. Petraeus put it, and U.S. casualties are dropping sharply. Eighteen American soldiers died in May, the lowest total of the war and an 86 percent drop from the 126 who died in May 2007.

If the positive trends continue, proponents of withdrawing most U.S. troops, such as Mr. Obama, might be able to responsibly carry out further pullouts next year. Still, the likely Democratic nominee needs a plan for Iraq based on sustaining an improving situation, rather than abandoning a failed enterprise. That will mean tying withdrawals to the evolution of the Iraqi army and government, rather than an arbitrary timetable; Iraq's 2009 elections will be crucial. It also should mean providing enough troops and air power to continue backing up Iraqi army operations such as those in Basra and Sadr City. When Mr. Obama floated his strategy for Iraq last year, the United States appeared doomed to defeat. Now he needs a plan for success.
washingtonpost.com
Old 06-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

it has been in here,

since this thread was revived \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep on 05-26-2008, 07:55 PM View Post
I am still 'kind of' following this war.

OK, I guess I am following this as much or more than many people.

It is difficult to believe how this could really improve, with such a terrible, terrible start and lack of planing, poor execution.

But, lately it does seem like many things are going in the right direction.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #90
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:12 PM
This thread must have fallen off the radar, like many issues.