Iran to hold a conference on the Holocaust.... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2006, 07:47 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Tremendous straw man argument there though, but the problem is there isn't much that the world can do in the face of a regime that is eagerly awaiting the return of the Mahdi and the end of days other than give more active support to dissidents both financial and material.

Interesting argument in that it appears to work almost equally well if one replaces 'Mahdi' and 'end of days' with 'Jesus' and 'end times', respectively, and is applied to the (Dis)United States of Jesusland.

The only difference I guess is that advocating 'active support to dissidents both financial and material' in respect of Iran makes one a 'freedom lover' whereas doing the same in respect of the USA makes one a traitor, enemy of the State, etc.

Old 01-15-2006, 07:51 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
The British Empire wasn't built on democratic peace theory.
You're absolutely right, it wasn't.

Neither was the Irish 'rebellion', I am proud to say.

But I guess the British Empire some time ago learned a valuable and instructive lesson.

The lesson being don't fuck with the Paddies, it will bite you in the ass.

Now I will leave you to go back to saluting your foreign queen.

Old 01-15-2006, 07:52 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:35 AM
Their theology ties in very nicely with Christian end of days, Jesus has a support role in his return.

I ordered some books from infidels.org, I guess that in that way I too am supporting those who dissent from the Christian line in the USA.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:54 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

I am opposed to the monarchy and support an Australian republic.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:55 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I am opposed to the monarchy and support an Australian republic.
Glad to hear it
Old 01-15-2006, 08:01 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:35 AM
Quote:

You're absolutely right, it wasn't.

Neither was the Irish 'rebellion', I am proud to say.

But I guess the British Empire some time ago learned a valuable and instructive lesson.

The lesson being don't fuck with the Paddies, it will bite you in the ass.

Old 01-15-2006, 08:12 PM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:35 AM
Quote:
Interesting argument in that it appears to work almost equally well if one replaces 'Mahdi' and 'end of days' with 'Jesus' and 'end times', respectively, and is applied to the (Dis)United States of Jesusland.
That's certainly a mouthful. Even Jesus ("Isa" in Islam) has a place in Islamic eschatology. Jesus' role is to defeat the Antichrist ("ad-Dajjal"), while Mahdi establishes "justice, peace, and truth" by installing Islam as the global religion.

Interestingly, after the defeat of the Antichrist, both Jesus and Mahdi are then to live out their natural lives on Earth, with Jesus getting married and having children.

Regardless, I'm always intrigued how all eschatological schemes of all religions always ends with some kind of totalitarianism.

Melon
Old 01-15-2006, 08:16 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Because their ideas of paradise in the next life are devoid of freedom and they will sacrifice anything in this world to get to the next.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:59 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBono

"It is a strange world. It is possible to discuss everything except the Holocaust," Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi told reporters.

"The Foreign Ministry plans to hold a conference on the scientific aspect of the issue to discuss and review its repercussions."

Back to the topic...I absolutely did not get from this that Iran is looking to verify if the holocaust happened. It sounds to me like they are going to examine the results of all the sick scientific research that was done during that time.
I really don't think they are looking to research the validity of the Holocaust as opposed to research what that other "research" can do for them, or how it can be used to their benefit.

Just my interpretation of the comments made in that article...
Old 01-15-2006, 10:08 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I wasn't responding to your post, so I didn't notice whether or not you used quotation marks.
I was just making sure.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:36 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:35 AM
Quote:
Sorry but I would not entirely agree. I think you are perceptibly - maybe not dramatically - but perceptibly exaggerating by putting rhetoric against homosexuals on the same level as rhetoric against Jews. If you look at conspiracy theory sites on the Internet, for example, a worryingly large number of them are just rehashing of long discredited 'Elders of Zion, the Jews control banking' mythology.

And there must be some kind of market for this kind of stuff otherwise people wouldn't bother setting up these kind of sites. While many of those sites may also be homophobic they don't blame homosexuals for the ills of the world to the same extent that they blame Jews.
For some reason, this post still resonates in my mind. And I want to give more examples to show how I believe this response, while well-intentioned (given what I believe about the poster here), tends to underestimate the level of hatred levelled at homosexuals on a regular basis.

Quote:
Utah State Sen. Pushes Bill To Ban School Gay Clubs
by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff

Posted: January 16, 2006 - 11:00 am ET

(Salt Lake City, Utah) State Senator Chris Buttars took his campaign to ban gay-straight clubs to Utah's most outspoken conservative group on the weekend.

Buttars told the Eagle Forum his bill to ban the clubs from meeting on school property will be introduced in the Utah Senate this year.

"This gay issue is everywhere -- they're getting into everything," he told the group's annual convention at Salt Lake Community College's Redwood campus in Taylorsville.

Buttars accused gays of changing the landscape of morality in America.

"Their definition of morality is to have no morality," he said, adding that gays and lesbians are targeting "your kids."

Buttars then told the group that they have to stand up and be counted or risk losing the war against "the gay lifestyle". He said that LGBT rights groups are winning court battles by portraying gays as "victims" and by characterizing their opponents as bigots, narrow-minded and out of touch with reality.

Buttars also said that gays harbor diseases at a higher rate than the general population.

His speech was seen as 'preaching to the choir'. The Eagle Forum in a national conservative movement founded by Phyllis Schlafly who was the keynote speaker at the Utah convention.

Buttars has not released the wording of his bill but said that lawyers have told him it would withstand constitutional challenges.

Courts have ruled in jurisdictions across the country that banning gay clubs violates the Federal Equal Access Act.
And, in this spirit, I will continue to add to this thread as I run into relevant articles. I hope, someday, that America and the rest of the world puts as much attention into ending this hatred as it has and continues to do in ending sexism, racism and anti-Semitism. Just because hatred of homosexuals parades under the banner of "morality" does not make such hatred any less malicious and abhorrent. The banner of "morality" was once used to support anti-Semitism, sexism, and racism. Few reasonably minded people would ever support raising the banner of "morality" to belittle and undermine Jews, women, and people of different races today.

Melon