Iran to hang teenage girl attacked by rapists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AussieU2fanman

Refugee
Probably already posted over a month ago, but just in case some people haven't seen it.
Article

Tehran, Iran, Jan. 07 – An Iranian court has sentenced a teenage rape victim to death by hanging after she weepingly confessed that she had unintentionally killed a man who had tried to rape both her and her niece.

The state-run daily Etemaad reported on Saturday that 18-year-old Nazanin confessed to stabbing one of three men who had attacked the pair along with their boyfriends while they were spending some time in a park west of the Iranian capital in March 2005.

Nazanin, who was 17 years old at the time of the incident, said that after the three men started to throw stones at them, the two girls’ boyfriends quickly escaped on their motorbikes leaving the pair helpless.

She described how the three men pushed her and her 16-year-old niece Somayeh onto the ground and tried to rape them, and said that she took out a knife from her pocket and stabbed one of the men in the hand.

As the girls tried to escape, the men once again attacked them, and at this point, Nazanin said, she stabbed one of the men in the chest. The teenage girl, however, broke down in tears in court as she explained that she had no intention of killing the man but was merely defending herself and her younger niece from rape, the report said.

The court, however, issued on Tuesday a sentence for Nazanin to be hanged to death.

Last week, a court in the city of Rasht, northern Iran, sentenced Delara Darabi to death by hanging charged with murder when she was 17 years old. Darabi has denied the charges.

In August 2004, Iran’s Islamic penal system sentenced a 16-year-old girl, Atefeh Rajabi, to death after a sham trial, in which she was accused of committing “acts incompatible with chastity”.

The teenage victim had no access to a lawyer at any stage and efforts by her family to retain one were to no avail. Atefeh personally defended herself and told the religious judge that he should punish those who force women into adultery, not the victims. She was eventually hanged in public in the northern town of Neka.

Nothing much I need to say, I'll let someone else open the can of Islamic worms.

I think many of the problems in the Middle east can be purely boiled down to lack of education amongst all Islamics. By being taught from an early age only the ways of their faith, and not taking into account any other points of views about life outside of Islam, this is only breeding ignorance and hence disruption within their own society and obviously with other societies.
As Westerners, we have access to much more information and our educational system is much more open minded. If an Islamic child is taught from an early age to pray 5 times a day or whatever, don't give your wife any rights, and hate Westerners, you can't really blame them. They don't know any better. (BTW am I wrong that the true Islam (not extremism) teaches such things?)
I don't really know what I'm sugessting here, the only way this problem can be recified is by removing Islam as the life-restricting force it is, which is absurd. It's all in vain I guess.

The court is picking up where the rapists left off.. How can they justify this most severe form of public child abuse?

That is messed up. Its called self defense assholes!!! I bet Karma will come back to them 10 fold.

AussieU2fanman said:
(BTW am I wrong that the true Islam (not extremism) teaches such things?)
I don't really know what I'm sugessting here, the only way this problem can be recified is by removing Islam as the life-restricting force it is, which is absurd. It's all in vain I guess.
There is absolutely nothing in the Koran that sanctions killing women who have been raped. "Honor killings," which occur frequently in many regions of the world--including non-Islamic ones such as parts of Latin America, Africa and the Caribbean--reflect customs that long predate Islam. They are more strongly associated with strongly patriarchal, clan-based societies in which "family honor," not individual worth, is the golden rule than with any particular religious or political culture. And particularly in Central Asia (Iran through to Northwestern India, roughly) such social structures have a very long pedigree. Alexander the Great, for example, wrote of his astonishment at how ferociously possessive of their women the "tribes" he encountered on his push to the Indus were, keeping them under lock and key in fortresslike family compounds and routinely getting in violent brawls with each other over elopements etc.

Of course, such customs do inevitably wind up becoming conflated with more recently arrived ideologies of power and authority ("rule by the mullahs" for example), further entrenching them and compromising whatever liberatory potential such ideologies might otherwise have had. But one need only look at the majority of Muslim countries which in no way sanction honor killings, ever (despite being varyingly oppressive in other ways), to see that such practices are anything but a built-in outcome of Islam.

It wasn't so long ago that right here in the West, women were routinely cut off from their families for having "shamed" them by being raped. Honor killings may never have been common, but then they were never really part of European traditional culture(s) to begin with. Though I have heard stories of some pretty ugly practices in the medieval-to-early-modern Mediterranean region...

Yeah, I'd imagine that life as a woman in Zoroastrian Persia was (potentially) hellish. In case you didn't know, the Roman custom of crucifixion was originally Persian. They had some other hellishly cruel execution methods as well and some generally barbarous customs which are still in existence today. And the whole area was under one empire east of the Roman Empire, the Parthian Empire, all of which was Zoroastrian, so this was going on all over.

Last edited:
it wouldnt suprise me if they sentenced her to rape by the "judges" friends and then be killed, like they did with that other girl.

This was a while ago, im not sure of the details, but an Iran man commited some crime and to punish him, the courts sentenced his sister to gang rape by the judges! I shit you not, it was in the paper a while ago.

JMScoopy said:
it wouldnt suprise me if they sentenced her to rape by the "judges" friends and then be killed, like they did with that other girl.

This was a while ago, im not sure of the details, but an Iran man commited some crime and to punish him, the courts sentenced his sister to gang rape by the judges! I shit you not, it was in the paper a while ago.
That was in northwestern Pakistan, and it was not "judges" but tribal elders (who in this case also happened to be thug warlords from the local ruling clan, more aptly a junta really) who assigned and carried out the "sentence". And the "man" who committed this "crime" was a teenage boy from a local underdog clan, framed on trumped-up charges of seducing a girl from said ruling clan. In reality, what happened was that he himself had been raped and beaten by the thug warlords' buddies, who then turned around and did the same to his sister when the boy's family tried to raise a fuss over it.

And who was it who ultimately gambled his reputation, stuck out his neck, and pushed this case into the global media spotlight and the *real* courts in Islamabad (where the case is still pending)? The local imam.

Again--per my earlier post in this thread--this kind of ruthlessness has ancient, and indisputably pre-Islamic, roots in this part of the world.

This is simply disturbing, uncivilized, barbaric, f'd up, backwards, wrong, sad, disgusting, pathetic, and I don't think Karma wants to go anywhere near this. Brrrrrrrrr, gives me shivers just to think about a poor girl being hanged for defending herself during HER horrific rape. :sad:

AussieU2fanman said:

?? I don't understand this comment. Under what circumstances do women get blamed for rape?

In many circumstances in the US, women are still blamed-the way they dress, they went to the guy's apartment/hotel room/dorm room, they were drunk, they led the guy on, they kissed the guy-a myriad of reasons.

In the Middle East they blame everything that goes wrong in a relationship on the woman. It's an ancient custom, as yolland points out.

MrsSpringsteen said:

In many circumstances in the US, women are still blamed-the way they dress, they went to the guy's apartment/hotel room/dorm room, they were drunk, they led the guy on, they kissed the guy-a myriad of reasons.

yeah that's true... When I was in HS there was a rumor about a girl who was almost raped by a neighbour, some of the other girls said things like "if she weren't so flirty maybe that wouldn't happen". It is sad to see that even some women can think that way :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom