Iran Quake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
A prayer for the people of Iran.....

possible 40,000 out of 80,000 dead in the city of Bam.

:(

This is horrible. I'm praying for the victims and their families. There have been pictures on the news of people who lost everything and they're just stuck out there in the freezing cold.:sad: :sad: :sad:

This is such a horrible tragedy...it's so hard to even imagine the number of people killed in Iran. :(

If anyone wants to and is able to donate money to help those affected you can donate to the Red Cross by calling them on 020 7245 1000. That's the British Red Cross number, I don't know the details for other countries but I would imagine if you look up the ICRC in your country they'll have information.

Sorry if it's not appropriate to post this info here, just thought some people might be interested.

The city of Bam and it's fortress survived natural disasters for two thousand years. Though buildings made of mud and straw can't withstand time forever, those people couldn't possibly have imagined their city failing so terribly so suddenly. I pray for all those who lost their homes or their loved ones. Or both.

verte76 said:
This is horrible. I'm praying for the victims and their families. There have been pictures on the news of people who lost everything and they're just stuck out there in the freezing cold.:sad: :sad: :sad:

:( :tsk: :hug:. Those poor people. I can't imagine how scary an experience like that would be. Hopefully there'll be some kind souls who'll let these people stay in their homes or in shelters and stuff until they can get going again. And my condolances to those who lost family and friends. Such a shame.

It looked like a truly magnificent city. It's a terrible loss of life, unimaginable, really.

Here here. :( Just awful!

Does anyone know, can we predict earthquakes like we can (supposedly) hurricanes and such?

sd

Sherry Darling said:
Does anyone know, can we predict earthquakes like we can (supposedly) hurricanes and such?

We are nowhere close to predicting earthquakes as we can hurricanes. Research continues here in California, as well as in sesmic active areas like Japan, looking for potential lead indicators of earthquakes.

The ability to "predict" aftershocks is really limited to mathematical models from prior quake experiences.

Even hurricane prediction isn't an exact science. Take it from me,I've been through quite a few. They finally quit trying and now just give a range of possibilities. but -at least you have some advantage to run north. How scientist could predict where or when a fault line will shift is completely beyond me. I can only hope they will be able to....someday and soon. This is too sad and tragic.

Last edited:
Thanks, you two. That's what I figured. :( I can't believe how high the death toll has gotten! :no: I'm glad a lot of aid and help seems to be on the way, but there is only so much you can do, and the longer it takes the fewer you're going to save. :(

SD

Back
Top Bottom