Iran bans high speed internet - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2006, 11:34 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 05:14 PM
Re: Re: Iran bans high speed internet

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

Well, it if weren't the blanket statements about "the Muslims" I wouldn't have anything to post as I agree that authoritarian restrictions in Iran are a bad thing.

As others have pointed out there are many liberal-minded Iranians in Iran. I went to school and was friends with a couple of them in high school. One girl in particular was progressive by just about anybody's standards!

There's no doubt that the religious clergy that has an iron grip on government in Iran and certainly the current president of Iran is just short of certifiable, but that does not reflect on all of the ordinary people of Iran. Not by a long shot. You might do well to do a little research into what regular, middle-class Iranians are like, before making such blanket statements. They had a great article in TIME magazine a month or so back. . .

Obviously nobody's that stupid to generalise like that, I should have worded it better, I rushed it too much (I'm too young and lazy). I know that so many people are against this movement in Iran (as is stipulated in the article), and evidently it's the authoritarian movement that is controlling Iran that is responsible for such ludicrious policies, not 'every single Muslim in Iran.' We've had these debates on generalising various groups before, however my point should have been transparent enough and common sense should have applied to see what I was alluding to.
I just hope those progressive Muslims in Iran can somehow persuade the goverment to change their minds or open them altogether (no idea how). I fervently resent these types of governments that thrive on oppression of their peoples rather than their prosperity (and see this as the only way to progess (how?)), and I look forward to the day when they realise.....maybe us Westerns are 'right,' so to speak.

Old 10-22-2006, 05:11 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:44 AM
I once had access to a website run by a liberal Muslim from Iran. It was a gutsy thing for him to do, and I just hope he had trouble with his server and not the government when the site went down. We would exchange notes by e-mail. It was an interesting experience, to say the least.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:39 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:44 AM
Re: Re: Re: Iran bans high speed internet

Quote:
Originally posted by AussieU2fanman

Obviously nobody's that stupid to generalise like that, I should have worded it better, I rushed it too much (I'm too young and lazy). I know that so many people are against this movement in Iran (as is stipulated in the article), and evidently it's the authoritarian movement that is controlling Iran that is responsible for such ludicrious policies, not 'every single Muslim in Iran.' We've had these debates on generalising various groups before, however my point should have been transparent enough and common sense should have applied to see what I was alluding to.
I just hope those progressive Muslims in Iran can somehow persuade the goverment to change their minds or open them altogether (no idea how). I fervently resent these types of governments that thrive on oppression of their peoples rather than their prosperity (and see this as the only way to progess (how?)), and I look forward to the day when they realise.....maybe us Westerns are 'right,' so to speak.
Fair enough. I just wanted to poke a little a bit at your initial post and see where you were coming from. I see your point. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:40 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I think that the point has been made that moves to control the internet (also done under the auspices of the UN in the quest to breakup ICANN) is for authoritarian ends (countries like China, Iran, Zimbabwe and Cuba have a vested interest in controlling what people are able to access and proliferate). This will to power may be motivated by any number of factors and in the case of the Mullahs it is the power of the religious authorities against liberalism.
That's all I'm saying.