IRA says ceasing all armed activity in N.Ireland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LJT said:

Thanks:) I will hopefully be studying Psychology...should be great...i am really looking forward to it now...time to spread my wings as such:wink:

:up: I did Psychology at AS-Level. A great, fascinating subject but there was so much work involved in it compared to my other subjects that I decided to drop it for A2 'cos I thought I'd end up neglecting my other subjects in order to get all the psychology stuff done. :(

Palace_Hero said:
I personally think none of this will last. :(

I don't know. I think to a large extent it depends on Ian Paisley and his DUP colleagues. Sinn Fein have made huge steps to keep the peace process on track and if the DUP continue to refuse to sit in government with them even after the latest announcement then the blame for derailing the peace process needs to be laid firmly at the DUP's door. Personally I think the DUP are intent on destroying the Good Friday Agreement, so in that respect you're probably right that this progress won't last. :down:

Palace_Hero said:
Sad thing is, if/when Ian Paisley is taken out of the way, his son is even worse.

Indeed. I think the only hope is that Paisley's son won't command the same level of respect and influence as Paisley currently does. Admittedly that respect only comes from a small section of the unionist community but it's still been enough to derail the peace process time and time again. :down:

No one has mentioned this..

DUP reject devolution discussions

DUP leader Ian Paisley met the NI secretary
The DUP will not attend discussions which the NI secretary is expected to hold on the return of devolution.
Sources said they had set out a series of time penalties which would apply in response to "any further concessions from the government to republicans".

They claimed devolution would not return for a minimum of two years.

DUP leader Ian Paisley set out an uncompromising position on talks about the return of devolution at a meeting with NI Secretary Peter Hain.

The two men met in London for the first time since the government announced plans to disband the home battalions of the Royal Irish Regiment (RIR).

Mr Hain said the DUP had put its views "extremely strongly and critically," something which he "understood".

Mr Paisley said they told Mr Hain of the "anger" over the RIR decision.

"We told him that the majority of the people of Northern Ireland are very angry," Mr Paisley said.

He said the IRA was "having it their own way" following its statement last Thursday in which it said it was ending its armed campaign and pursuing exclusively peaceful means.

'Damaged'

DUP deputy leader Peter Robinson said the "prospects of a return to devolution have been damaged very considerably by the actions of this government".

It is understood the discussions on devolution were set to take place next month.

Mr Hain said there would be "full consultation" on the future of the Royal Irish Regiment home battalions.

"Nobody will take any risks with the security and safety of any individual citizen in Northern Ireland," he said.

Mr Hain said he agreed with the DUP that it was "absolutely essential to get verification that criminality and paramilitary activity will be rooted out of Northern Ireland's politics".

The RIR's NI-based battalions are to be disbanded

"We also agree that decommissioning of IRA weapons is absolutely essential," he added.

Mr Hain said he would like to see the reconstitution earlier than October 2006 of the Policing Board, which holds the PSNI to account.

"My only point is that has to be done by agreement. If we can get agreement, then we can get the DUP representatives on the Policing Board in the numbers that their last election performance suggests that they're entitled to," he said.

Sinn Fein assembly member Alex Maskey urged the DUP to stop "grand standing" and face up to the "new political challenges created by the historic IRA statement".

"There remains no excuse for the two governments in implementing the outstanding aspects of the Good Friday Agreement," he said.

"These are not concessions or bargaining chips. They are basic rights and entitlements designed to create for the first time a level political playing field.

"Even the DUP must now accept that the only situation in which they will have executive power will be in the Good Friday Agreement institutions alongside Sinn Fein."

The SDLP's Alban Maginness said: "The DUP seem to think that they should have a veto on all change - no matter how sensible.

"They expect to be able to hold up the Agreement and undermine what the people of Ireland voted for.

"Now they are learning that they don't have a veto. They need to learn the lessons of this. Instead of getting comfortable with direct rule, they ought to be getting real about restoring devolution."

Victims

Following Wednesday's meeting with the DUP, Mr Hain also met relatives of victims of the Shankill bombing.

They wanted to voice their concerns about last week's release of the Shankill bomber, Sean Kelly, a month after he was returned to jail.

The relatives were accompanied by members of the DUP.

Mr Paisley will stay in London for a meeting with Tony Blair on Thursday.

Sinn Fein President Gerry Adams is also expected to meet the prime minister this week.

The Northern Ireland-based battalions of the Royal Irish Regiment are to be disbanded on 1 August 2007, as part of the response to the IRA ending its armed campaign.

The Army will end its support role to the police on the same day.

On Monday, the secretary of state set out a two-year plan on demilitarisation which, he said, would be contingent on the security situation.

Unionists reacted angrily to the move, which nationalists have welcomed.

Mr Hain also announced that troop levels in the province would fall from 10,500 to 5,000 in two years time.

Yes, maybe you are right.
But I have the impression that things are changing, even if very slowly. Someone mentioned the fact that this declaration won't stop the other criminal activities IRA carries on, but it seems to me this is a step forward, anyway.
And in a time of war, terrorism and all these horrible thing, this is like "a bloom shoot up through the stony ground".
and a bloom need all the cares and the attentions to stay alive.

Listen nothing will major will happen here until Sinn Fein and the DUP fall apart...i have wanted themt to kill each other for years but it hasn't happened yet:wink: :madspit:

Unless those two parties collapse (ie Adams and Paisley die probably) not much progress will be made in the way of devolution.....the GFA is dead basically....i do not know why anyone bothers talking about it.....

Anyway the loyalists are enjoying killing each other too much at the moment and the police are watching it happen and the unionists are saying little against it...that has always annoyed me as the unionists have never really put any pressure on their side of things to end their activities....i hate them all....if belfast ever got blasted off the face of the earth, i would be hard pushed to say i would miss it....

I thought no government could be more useless than ours, but I'm starting to rethink that.

palace_hero, you said you didn't think it would last. do just mean the optimism, or the (relative) peace itself? do you really think theyd ever go back to a large scale campaign? (other than blowing holes in each other which LJT doesn't seem to mind).

VertigoGal said:
I thought no government could be more useless than ours, but I'm starting to rethink that.

palace_hero, you said you didn't think it would last. do just mean the optimism, or the (relative) peace itself? do you really think theyd ever go back to a large scale campaign? (other than blowing holes in each other which LJT doesn't seem to mind).

I don't think it would ever get as bad as the troubles and so forth, but I don't think complete pace will ever be attained. There will alwas be this tense 'stand-off' peppered with the odd bit of terrorism from both sides.

I'm LJT, I don't think the North will ever be peaceful unless the whole place is obliterated. Despite the various groups on both sides that push the conflicts, there are still the bigots in the background that let the hate simmer. Point in case being my grandfather, he has never lifted a finger in anger against the Protestants but has a deep hatred for them and it is the people like him who keep it in the conciousness.

I was reading the Daily Mail the other day (who are very unimpressed with the whole IRA-says-something-then-the-Government-jumps-on-it-straight-away-with-policy-changes-when-the-IRA-hasn't-actually-done-anything-yet situation BTW) and they pointed something out to me that was blindingly obvious but I'd honestly never thought of before and I think it's an important point. They pointed out that Tony can do whatever the heck he wants in NI because Labour are not a political party there. None of the major parties in Westminster are, they all have 'sister' parties instead (apart from the Tories who do contest elections) but none of them win anything anyway.

And I think that's a problem that if NI is going to continue to be part of the UK, needs to be addressed because on national issues it's important that everyone feels they have a voice. It's hard enough for people in places like Scotland and Wales (where although not the only major contenders, the Big Three do contest) , heck, even here in the North of England to feel they matter when most decisions are very London-centric (see Millenium celebrations for a minor but good example of this), nevermind in NI that in both location and politics is quite isolated from the rest of us.

However, how the heck you'd manage that w/o doing something extreme like banning some political parties (although...) I have no idea.

Last edited:
Yeah, that is something to consider, the fact that there will be a few people out there who will try and thwart the steps towards peace.

But I dunno, I personally still wouldn't give up hope that things finally calm down once and for all there. Crazier things have happened, after all *Shrugs*.

Angela

VertigoGal said:

:eyebrow: I do mind people blowing holes in each other...the parties killing each other i mean more Gerry and Ian strangling each other.....as nothing will ever happen here until the extremist parties fall apart...even then another brand of extremism will probably emerge.....

...Loyalist groups have never announced that their 'war' is over and they have basically rejected the IRAs statement so they will carry on regardless....

...another possibility i think may happen and is probably underway as i type is that the more extreme elements of the IRA will likely join with the Real IRA...the IRA is like moderate terrorism (oh god moderate terrorism ughh all terrorism is bad, but the IRA has not been as active in the last 10 years).....the Real IRA are hardcore nuts:sad: If the IRA officially gos more people may be attracted to the real evil (ahh its all evil but sadistic twisted evil is the Real IRA)..as i have said the IRA has become little more than the Mafia...

Some kind of violence has always been going on in Ireland for the past 800 years i really don't see how this IRA statement will change much where i live...ahh the whole thing is all this tension, violence and hate is a great breeding ground for some real sickos, ahh i really don't want to repeat what happened to a 15 year old girl last night not far from where i live:sad: :sad:

Sorry for my earlier very extreme statement...just here pisses me off greatly..i really can not stand Belfast...its my home but its just ughh

Sorry.

LJT said:

ahh the whole thing is all this tension, violence and hate is a great breeding ground for some real sickos, ahh i really don't want to repeat what happened to a 15 year old girl last night not far from where i live:sad: :sad:

Just read about it on BBC website......truly horrific. Calling her mother as well, it justs defies belief. I just don't know what to say LJT, except I'm sorry, so truly sorry, that things are as they are. And that's just not good enough.

:(

TheQuiet1 said:

Just read about it on BBC website......truly horrific. Calling her mother as well, it justs defies belief. I just don't know what to say LJT, except I'm sorry, so truly sorry, that things are as they are. And that's just not good enough.

:(

hey you don't have to apologise for anything...those two guys are as evil and sick as they come...there has to be something wrong with their heads to be able to do something like that..its inexcusable....

Parents here basically teach their kids to hate...it will take generations for that to be put right....3 year olds making sectarian remarks about Catholics/Protestants...ughhh, its not good and as i have constantly said the IRA statement means little anything the official IRA do means little now they were the scapegoat for unionists when the main problem the past ten years have been the loyalist paramilitaries and dissident republicans like the Real IRA...

ugh. that's so disgusting. well, if it makes you feel any better, those sickos aren't exclusive to belfast. I know a girl who got raped at school while she was in the 6th grade.

they called her mother? god. ugh.

VertigoGal said:
ugh. that's so disgusting. well, if it makes you feel any better, those sickos aren't exclusive to belfast. I know a girl who got raped at school while she was in the 6th grade.

they called her mother? god. ugh.

The two rapes are sick in themselves...buts its just imagining these guys phoning up the girls mother laughing down the line telling her what they did:mad:

LJT said:

hey you don't have to apologise for anything...those two guys are as evil and sick as they come...there has to be something wrong with their heads to be able to do something like that..its inexcusable....

It's just reading things like that make me wanna do something to make it stop ya know? Guess everyone feels like that but what can you do?

TheQuiet1 said:

It's just reading things like that make me wanna do something to make it stop ya know? Guess everyone feels like that but what can you do?

Very little....our local news is just so damn jolly....somebody is going around and burning dogs now...:mad: bah i am getting out of here soon enough hopefully i really could not take another year...

LJT said:

somebody is going around and burning dogs now...:mad:

I remember reading about this group of teens (can't remember where) who... I was gonna type it but seriously it's too sick. But there are some vindictive, twisted 'people' (and I hesitate to use that word) out there.

verte76 said:
Egads, *burning dogs*? How sick can you get?:mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Well they can get more sick if you read that story i posted a link to up there...

VertigoGal said:
a kid near where I live beheaded a few ducks recently...it scares me to think what he's going to grow up to be like.

That type of thing only escalates unless stopped early....otherwise well as you say yourself, he will be worse when he is older...:huh:

Yeah, a lot of people who grow up to be psychotic people start off harming animals.

By the way, all these recent stories in here-the rape, the abuse and killing of animals, etc.-:down: :angry: :rant: :scream: :tsk:.

I just don't get how some people can be so heartless and cruel. I really don't understand. I know I say that a lot, but it's true, it just really does baffle me.

:hug: to LJT. All I can say right now is that you just continue being the good-hearted person you've always been-hopefully that'll rub off on more people. And I sincerely hope that all these jackasses who are committing these atrocious crimes get the punishments they so truly deserve. There's no excuse for that kind of behavior.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom