IRA Officially Disarms - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2005, 02:22 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:20 PM
IRA Officially Disarms

AP Reports*

BELFAST, Northern Ireland - International weapons inspectors have supervised the full disarmament of the outlawed Irish Republican Army, a long-sought goal of Northern Ireland's peace process, an aide said Sunday.

The IRA permitted two independent witnesses, including a Methodist minister and a Roman Catholic priest close to Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams, to view the secret disarmament work conducted by officials from Canada, Finland and the United States, the aide said on condition of anonymity.

Article

Old 09-25-2005, 03:00 PM   #2
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:20 PM
It won't change much here

No photographic evidence so i doubt the unionists will accept this

Ugh i should never read the comments people make on the news stories....they just rile me up...

Old 09-25-2005, 03:16 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:20 PM
yeah, seems like a political stunt to me. but it can't be a bad thing, can it?

what comments are you talking about LJT?
Old 09-25-2005, 03:16 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:20 PM
Here's a very interesting article from the BBC:

IRA arms story about to unfold
By Brian Rowan

BBC Northern Ireland security editor

We are expecting the decommissioning men to emerge soon to tell us of the secret work they have been involved in over the past few weeks.

The men on this latest Irish mission are General John de Chastelain, Andrew Sens and Tauno Nieminen - the commissioners of the Independent International Commission on Decommissioning.
Their job has been to put the IRA's weapons "beyond use", and confirmation that this has now happened is likely to come within a few days - possibly at the beginning of next week.

This is the follow-up to the IRA statement of July when it ordered an end to its armed campaign and said it would complete the decommissioning process.

There won't be the photographs demanded by Ian Paisley's Democratic Unionist Party last year, and there is nothing to suggest that the DUP-nominated church witness - the Reverend David McGaughey - will be involved.

But when de Chastelain and his colleagues come to tell the story of decommissioning next week, it will be different from anything we have heard before. It has to be.

This time it has to be "definitive", one source told the BBC News website.

The general has to be able "to account for all the weapons that he knows about," he added.

What he means is that this time the IICD has to be able to say that the job is done - that they have put beyond use all the weapons the IRA has hidden in its arms dumps.

The commissioners are working with security estimates of the scale of the IRA's arsenal - much of it Libyan-supplied, including the potent explosive Semtex.

So, within days, we are expecting a detailed IICD account of what has happened over the past few weeks and, this time, there will be additional commentary from two churchmen - one a Protestant, the other a Catholic - who have been asked to witness the process.

These are the new watching eyes, and what they have to say will be an important part of convincing a listening and watching public that the threat of the IRA's gun has now gone.

Some believe the DUP is positioning itself to "reject" whatever is said on decommissioning, and there is a belief that the party will use the fact there are no photographs and that their witness was not chosen, to dismiss what is said and done.

The deputy leader of the DUP, Peter Robinson, puts it differently.

"I absolutely cannot understand their (the IRA's) logic," he said. "This is the sort of thing you can't do twice. If it doesn't convince us, there will be long delays (in terms of re-building the political process).

"The key is, it's got to be convincing if it's going to build confidence in the unionist community. And it's obvious their priority is international opinion rather than unionist confidence."

One source dismissed the fact that the Reverend McGaughey has not been involved saying: "It doesn't really matter (so long as) it's somebody who has mainstream unionist approval."

The IRA has not commented publicly on the witnesses, and while there has been much speculation, there is no confirmation yet of who they are.

We will know soon and, as the story of decommissioning plays out over the next few days, there will be statements also from the Sinn Fein President Gerry Adams and the IRA itself.

This could be the last time that "P O'Neill" speaks in this IRA campaign.

The focus will switch soon to the business of loyalist decommissioning.

It has been their guns that have been loudest recently, and not one weapon has been decommissioned by the main organisations - the Ulster Volunteer Force and the Ulster Defence Association.

This is the next phase of work for the IICD but, within days, the story of the end of IRA decommissioning will have been told.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4279256.stm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two points of interest for me in this report:

1) SinnFein is planning a MPH (MakePartitionHistory) rally in Dublin

(an interesting play on words of the MakePovertyHistory organization founded by fellow Dubliner Bob Geldof)

2) truly the next phase of this struggle should be the decommissioning of loyalist forces - especially after the loyalist violence we've seen over the last month

When all is said and done - may peace, tolerance and goodwill
come to all of northern Ireland soon!
Old 09-25-2005, 03:28 PM   #5
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
yeah, seems like a political stunt to me. but it can't be a bad thing, can it?

what comments are you talking about LJT?
Ahh no i am saying the IRA has disarmed just the Unionists won't accept it...tis all they will rattle on etc the reason why the IRA doesn't want pictures shown of their disarmanent is a pride thing...if the unionist parties get their hands on the images they would rub it into everyones faces...would be a humiliating thing for the IRA.

Ahh the comments are on the news article on Yahoo, you go to the discuss link at the bottom....just a lot of racism towards the Irish...just getting me umm a bit pissed off...
Old 09-25-2005, 03:31 PM   #6
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
Two points of interest for me in this report:

1) SinnFein is planning a MPH (MakePartitionHistory) rally in Dublin

(an interesting play on words of the MakePovertyHistory organization founded by fellow Dubliner Bob Geldof)

2) truly the next phase of this struggle should be the decommissioning of loyalist forces - especially after the loyalist violence we've seen over the last month

When all is said and done - may peace, tolerance and goodwill
come to all of northern Ireland soon!
Thanks for wishing us the best and all

Umm loyalists have generally been far more active than the IRA in the past 8-10 yeas...loyalists should have been focused on years and years ago...
Old 09-25-2005, 03:41 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Oh I see what you mean...so basically it would be devastating for certain (loyalist) parties if the IRA went away? That makes sense. There are tons of politicians here that will go on and on about specific issues (often non-issues), to avoid having to deal with minor details like the economy,etc. Seems to work well.

Well good luck and all like Jamila said of course.

btw, I am a political satire junkie, and I found a site called purederry.com a few nights ago that might amuse you (or not, but you don't seem too easily offended by humor).
Old 09-25-2005, 03:43 PM   #8
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Thanks for the site VG tis good stuff

I am just happy i only have another week of being in Belfast.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:46 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

you're going to uni!

(look what this place is doing to me, the other day I called it uni instead of college and my friend looked at me like I was crazy. )
Old 09-25-2005, 03:51 PM   #10
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

hehe well you still have a bit to wait for uni yourself

oooh Crumbs is on the radio
Old 09-25-2005, 03:59 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I know.

Have you downloaded the version of Crumbs from Minneapolis?
Old 09-25-2005, 04:02 PM   #12
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

yep its rockin'

haha just noticed this on the site you sent me to VG

Quote:
BBC bosses have moved to ban rock superstars ,The Kaiser Chiefs, from the Ulster airwaves this week. The bands anthemic "I Predict A Riot" has been removed from Radio Ulster and Radio Foyle playlists after the Grand Cyclops of The Orange Order "condoned" them on numerous occasions at a press conference in front of the worlds media.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:24 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

from an older one:

Quote:
The Harry Potter books have underlying messages which "subtly seduce" children claimed head of the Catholic Church, Pope Emperor Palpatine XVI this week. The pope, a well known supporter of the ancient practice of “religion”, much prefers the assured practice of blatantly programming children from birth.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:44 AM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 09:20 PM
"Pope Emperor Palpatine"?

LOL...
Old 09-27-2005, 06:07 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:20 PM
i have the fear the truth is not being said completely...................
i don't believe they've really disarmed................