IQ - bush or kerry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let me guess, we are not suppose to question the assertion of Howard Raines, and any attempt to do so is simply partisian bickering.....

I hardly think it matters whose IQ is higher. The real-world evidence is pretty overwhelming that Bush either can't think his way out of a paper bag, or chooses not to.

U2democrat said:
bush may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but he is politically shrewd.
:up:
22043.jpg

U2democrat said:
bush may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but he is politically shrewd.

I don't know. Look at how he actually got elected; the word that comes to mind isn't "shrewd" so much as "thuggish".

Or look at what he did to McCain. One doesn't have to be "shrewd" to make up rumors that he fathered an illegitimate black child. You just need to be fantastically dishonest.

I would be shocked to the point of a vaso-vagal syncope if Bush's IQ broke 105.

But I don't think that the man's alleged "stupidity" is the issue. I think he is profoundly incurious about the world around him, I believe he is poorly (if at all) read, was entirely uninterested in any sort of travel or international/global matters prior to becoming president and even now, it's highly questionable.

nbcrusader said:
I doubt GHWB left such an impression on the nation that people would automatically vote for his family.

Oh so it was Bush's impecible record of being a great leader that got him the presidency?!

Stupid people don't graduate from Harvard and Yale let alone attend. Period. This being said--is IQ really a deciding factor on what makes a great President? If memory serves--the Presidents with the highest IQ were Herbert Hoover and Richard Nixon.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

His last name didn't have anything to do with it either.

If Bush Sr. got Bush Jr. elected--you have to wonder why this awesome political force and powerful influential incumbent President (powerful enought to force his will on the American people to elect his son) was crushed by a little known governor from Arkansas in 1992. The idea that W. was elected on H.W.'s coattails is as ridiculous now as it was in January 2001.

drivemytrabant said:
Stupid people don't graduate from Harvard and Yale let alone attend. Period. This being said--is IQ really a deciding factor on what makes a great President? If memory serves--the Presidents with the highest IQ were Herbert Hoover and Richard Nixon.

IQ isn't a deciding factor, but a president should at least come off as someone who's a little more intelligent than the average Joe.

drivemytrabant said:

If Bush Sr. got Bush Jr. elected--you have to wonder why this awesome political force and powerful influential incumbent President (powerful enought to force his will on the American people to elect his son) was crushed by a little known governor from Arkansas in 1992. The idea that W. was elected on H.W.'s coattails is as ridiculous now as it was in January 2001.

If Georgie boy had any other last name in 2000 McCain would have been on the Republican ticket, don't kid yourself.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

If Georgie boy had any other last name in 2000 McCain would have been on the Republican ticket, don't kid yourself.

And if Al Gore was not the vice president to a extremely popular president, Bill Bradley would have been on the Democrat ticket. If John Kerry didn't go to Vietnam he never would have been elected to any government office at all. George Bush was a immensely popular two term governor from Texas. Bill Clinton was the same for Arkansas. This is not reason enough? No it must have been his last name. The "it must be the shoes" Michael Jordan commercial comes to mind.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

IQ isn't a deciding factor, but a president should at least come off as someone who's a little more intelligent than the average Joe.

As I said, Harvard and Yale must have thought he came off as "more intelligent than the average Joe." A decent barometer. The American electoral college also disagrees with you--it elected him President 4 years ago.

drivemytrabant said:

As I said, Harvard and Yale must have thought he came off as "more intelligent than the average Joe."

Fine, let's assume Harvard and Yale are the bastion of education, and that they attract the brightest young intellectuals. Did Bush get into H/Y because he was an exceptional student - the BEST OF THE BEST - or because of his name and influence?

drivemytrabant said:

And if Al Gore was not the vice president to a extremely popular president, Bill Bradley would have been on the Democrat ticket. If John Kerry didn't go to Vietnam he never would have been elected to any government office at all. George Bush was a immensely popular two term governor from Texas.

I'll agree with you about Gore. Bush was not that popular in Texas. I lived there during his reign he was nothing special, it's just that Texas likes their Republicans.

anitram said:

Fine, let's assume Harvard and Yale are the bastion of education, and that they attract the brightest young intellectuals. Did Bush get into H/Y because he was an exceptional student - the BEST OF THE BEST - or because of his name and influence?

Harvard and Yale are, if nothing else, very fine examples of higher learning. They don't accept your "average Joes" off the street. And I'm sure that schools that are popularly believed to be liberal schools were jumping at the chance to admit the son of a republican. But lets give you the benefit of the doubt and say that it was that case. His father didn't take his tests or write his papers or grade them. Oh well scratch that-- if H.W. got him elected President I guess he could swing a few diplomas too.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I'll agree with you about Gore. Bush was not that popular in Texas. I lived there during his reign he was nothing special, it's just that Texas likes their Republicans.

Texas does like their Republicans--well enough for W. to receive nearly 60% of the vote in the 2000 election.

drivemytrabant said:

Texas does like their Republicans--well enough for W. to receive nearly 60% of the vote in the 2000 election.

60% of what vote? In Texas?

Look if you think he comes off intelligent and this is who you want representing our country that's all that matters. Me, personally I think he comes off like a bafoon and I'm embarassed he represents and runs my country. IQ scores, school grades, where he graduated from doesn't mean anything to me, I've watched every time he's addressed the country, I've watched his debates, and I lived in TX when he was governor and nothing has made me think the man is intelligent or deserves his office.

Back
Top Bottom