Iowa Predictions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2861U2 said:

What are you talking about? Numbers are up for the GOP :eyebrow:

and were crushed by the Democrat numbers in a state that Bush won in 2004. twice as many people turned out for the Dems.

it's clear that the independents -- the only way a McCain candidacy would win -- prefer the D's to the R's.

again, this is the party that Bush/Rove has given you.

Irvine511 said:

way to go Bush! everything you touch turns to shit.

This is true. I had a night out with one of my great Republican friends and we talked about how Bush would spend his retirement years. We both pictured him living on his ranch trying to write a book but never finishing and just dwindeling down to the worst president in recent history...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

This is true. I had a night out with one of my great Republican friends and we talked about how Bush would spend his retirement years. We both pictured him living on his ranch trying to write a book but never finishing and just dwindeling down to the worst president in recent history...

Damn, being an editor for Bush's manuscript would have to be declared a form of torture.

ntalwar said:
The turnouts:

Projections showed a turnout of 220,588 for Democrats, compared to 124,000 who participated in 2004. Most projections had estimated turnout would be about 150,000.

Turnout was also up on the Republican side, where projections showed about 114,000 people taking part.

The last contested Republican caucuses in 2000 drew 87,666 in caucuses won by then-Gov. George W. Bush.

So 335,000

out of a possible 2,000,000

is 16.5%

that is better than 10.5 %

So, is it basically a given that Hunter, Gravel, Kucinich, Richardson and Biden all drop out in a day or two?

I believe the day of the caucus you can switch parties to support a candidate

I will only be able to vote in the GOP primary on Feb 5 here in CA

if I could choose, I might prefer to vote in the Dem primary

I expect to vote for the Dem candidate in Nov.

Iowa is a weird lot

with second choices counting and all

also that state does reflect many parts of the country

I think corn to ethanol is not necessarily good policy
let any candidate say that and
see what Iowa hands them

deep said:

So 335,000

is 16.5%

Probably not bad for an evening event, as some have families and night jobs.

anitram said:
The best part of all of this is that no matter what happens in November, Bush will be gone, gone, gone. :drool:

Actually he will still be office until January 20, 2009. At which time his successor will become President and will not be pursuing many of the radical changes from the Bush administration so many here are hoping for.

I expect between Nov 2008 and Jan 20, 2009

we will see some pretty freaky shit fly out of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave

W unleashed

Or should I say Cheney unleashed

deep said:

So 335,000

is 16.5%

it does speak to how many are alienated by the political process, but at least this 16.5% was paying attention and probably made informed choices.

Obama's wife is looking very Jackie O this evening.

I don't even know her name yet.

But they are a beautiful family.

Strongbow said:

Actually he will still be office until January 20, 2009. At which time his successor will become President and will not be pursuing many of the radical changes from the Bush administration so many here are hoping for.

it's true.

it's going to take years and years to repair the damage.

anyone else noting how popular U2 songs seem to be.

Obama is speaking, man does he look good.

i want to believe. i really do.

we shall see what happens.

McCain is, by far, the only adult running for the GOP. a race between him and Obama would be good for the country.

I can't even begin to tell you how much Obama inspires me. He is what this country needs, especially for those of us in the young adult generation who are so disillusioned with our country that we can't even be bothered to work for and hope for change anymore.

Strongbow said:

First of all, NO SHIT SHERLOCK, secondly, how do you know there won't be any radical changes?

Like you always say about the war, changes take time.

I think her relief comes from not having a fucking idiot in the white house...

Unless Huck or Mitt wins, we are stepping up!

U2isthebest said:
I can't even begin to tell you how much Obama inspires me. He is what this country needs, especially for those of us in the young adult generation who are so disillusioned with our country that we can't even be bothered to work for and hope for change anymore.

in this election, we are talkin' about the young folks ... they turned out in record numbers.

U2isthebest said:

If that happens, I'll likely be taking a four year vacation to Europe.:|

It's true, if we hire another idiot, I more than likely will move... For the first time in my life I don't have any real ties so I have that option.

Irvine511 said:

in this election, we are talkin' about the young folks ... they turned out in record numbers.

This will be my first election. A couple years ago, I never thought this election would hold a candidate that could conjure up so much hope and desire to get involved in changing my country for me. I'm really looking forward to this next year.

U2isthebest said:

I certainly don't feel this way. What this country needs is not guy who barely has any political accomplishments to his name. I don't feel disillusioned in the slightest. I'd be much happier with a guy who knows how politics and the world works than with a guy who plans to learn as he goes along. If, God forbid, Obama wins the WH (still a looooong way off), I bet he brings a fraction of the change he is promising, and I hope his suppoters are outraged.

2861U2 said:

I certainly don't feel this way. What this country needs is not guy who barely has any political accomplishments to his name. I don't feel disillusioned in the slightest. I'd be much happier with a guy who knows how politics and the world works than with a guy who plans to learn as he goes along. If, God forbid, Obama wins the WH (still a looooong way off), I bet he brings a fraction of the change he is promising, and I hope his suppoters are outraged.

Well, Obama's not a conservative Republican. I would conjecture that his policies and beliefs are not in line with yours. If there was a similar candidate on the Republican side, I certainly wouldn't support him or her for the reasons you and I pointed out. I would not expect you to be inspired by him.

U2isthebest said:

Only Kucinich did that as far as I know.

NYTimes

January 3, 2008, 2:24 pm
Is Obama a Plan B for Richardson Voters?

By John Harwood

Barack Obama’s drive to win tonight’s Iowa caucuses is getting a boost from two of his putative rivals. After earlier winning the support of Dennis Kucinich, Obama’s campaign has reached an agreement with Bill Richardson for the second-choice votes of Richardson supporters in caucuses where the New Mexico governor can’t clear the threshold for competition, according to a senior Obama campaign adviser. The adviser estimated that the deal puts Mr. Obama in position to claim support from roughly half of the 15 percent of Democratic caucus-goers expected to support second-tier candidates.

Back
Top Bottom