Iowa Predictions - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

As much as Hillary wouldn't be my first choice, I do think that she has no qualms about playing dirty and her team as well. There is no way the Clintons would get swiftboated, and given how the Republicans go about discrediting people, maybe the only language they understand is that of equal ruthlessness.
I agree. The Republicans would chew Obama up and spit him out. I just don't think he would be able to get anything done, regardless of good intentions. The worse things look by fall in the US, economically and otherwise, the more attractive Hillary will become to voters, I think. In the end, she has the experience and savvy to navigate the political waters here and globally. But man, it will kill me to vote for her. I don't think Edwards has a chance but I'm happy to see someone with progressive views doing so well this far.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

In the end, she has the experience and savvy to navigate the political waters here and globally.

I'm sorry, I just don't see it. Especially comparing her with McCain (hopefully), she doesn't come close to his experience and accomplishments.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:03 AM
But there are people who don't agree with his politics.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

I think it's hilarious how the Republicans are suddenly all hanging on to McCain like he's their own personal Jesus, after having written him off for pretty much all of last year (except STING here, I have to hand it to him, he's devoted). Everyone else was crowing about RUUUUUUUUUDY and Fred and diamond had a lot of man love for Mitt, and so on.

But suddenly, when faced with the prospect of a hillbilly being beaten by every Democrat on the ticket, everyone is changing their tune.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I think it's hilarious how the Republicans are suddenly all hanging on to McCain like he's their own personal Jesus, after having written him off for pretty much all of last year (except STING here, I have to hand it to him, he's devoted). Everyone else was crowing about RUUUUUUUUUDY and Fred and diamond had a lot of man love for Mitt, and so on.

But suddenly, when faced with the prospect of a hillbilly being beaten by every Democrat on the ticket, everyone is changing their tune.
This post is wrong in so many ways.

First off, that personal Jesus remark was dumb. Second, speaking for myself, I wrote off McCain because his numbers were awful and his campaign seemed dead. It never had anything to do with me not liking him and his positions. He has always been my second choice after Rudy, until recently when he became my first choice. Third, McCain is not the only Republican who can beat Hillary. He certainly has the best shot, but Rudy and Mitt could do it too. Finally, the reason I'm not supporting Huckabee (who I'm assuming that hillbilly remark was aimed at) isn't because he'll lose as much as it is because I don't think many of his stances are real conservative.

I assumed you knew enough about politics to know that candidates have surges, and McCain is in one right now. Same goes for Obama and Edwards. I thought you knew that people are allowed to like different candidates, and even switch their minds, without coming off as desperate and compromising.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

Finally, the reason I'm not supporting Huckabee (who I'm assuming that hillbilly remark was aimed at) isn't because he'll lose as much as it is because I don't think many of his stances are real conservative.
Could you elaborate on those stances?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Could you elaborate on those stances?
Well his record showed him as a big spender and big taxer. His proposal about the Fair Tax and abolishing the IRS sounds intriguing, but I don't think it's realistic. His illegal immigration policy doesn't seem tough enough- of course, McCain's wasn't either, but he acknowledged it was bad. His abortion stance has shifted in recent years, too. Not like Romney, though. I believe Romney when he says he truly had a change of heart and is now firmly pro-life. Huckabee doesn't seem to know exactly where he stands. He seems pro-life, but has stated last year that the states should decide, so it's hard to tell.

Also, he supports the Ten Commandments being displayed in every school. Now, as much as I think the Ten Commandments are important and rules everyone should live by regardless of your faith, even I wouldn't take it that far.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Okay, but how are any of his views not conservative, as you stated?

Ten Commandments? Seems like this is a stance staunchly supported by the conservative base. It surely isn't a liberal stance, hah.

Abolishing income tax? Again, how is this not a conservative stance?

Immigration policy? Whether you think it's tough enough, it's absolutely in line with conservative views.

Pro-life? Same thing.

Maybe he's a flip-flopper (I actually don't think so) but to say his stance isn't conservative kind of puzzles me to be honest. How would you exactly then classify his views?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Well he isn't the most conservative in the race, at the very least. He's pardoned rapists and murderers, supported scholarships for illegals and raised taxes greatly. Taxes and immigration are huge issues among conservatives, and I hope they look past his charm, smooth talk and evangelism and really investigate him.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #55
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
charm, smooth talk and evangelism and really investigate him.
I think that if you slightly change around the adjectives, you could pretty much make that statement about any candidate. The bottom line is that there will be many candidates who will get votes for stupid reasons (or in the case of Hilary Clinton, will be voted against for stupid reasons).
Old 01-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie

This from Time.com's The Page:

Reports suggest Biden and Richardson both might pair up with Obama, which could handicap Clinton in the caucuses.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-t...ma_deal_1.html

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...-choice-votes/
Old 01-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

I think that if you slightly change around the adjectives, you could pretty much make that statement about any candidate. The bottom line is that there will be many candidates who will get votes for stupid reasons (or in the case of Hilary Clinton, will be voted against for stupid reasons).
That's absolutely true.

I don't think the last statement applies solely to Hillary, though. I'm sure some people won't vote for Obama because he's black, or McCain because he's old, Romney's a Mormon, etc.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier

True.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #59
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:03 PM
Quote:

I'm sorry, I just don't see it. Especially comparing her with McCain (hopefully), she doesn't come close to his experience and accomplishments.
Experience isn't everything. Let's remember McCain let the least experienced Bush beat him in 2000, partly by questioning his loyalty to the military. That's weak.

Also having financial problems within your own campaign makes me wonder if he can run a country if he can't run his own campaign.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:00 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Also, he supports the Ten Commandments being displayed in every school. Now, as much as I think the Ten Commandments are important and rules everyone should live by regardless of your faith, even I wouldn't take it that far.
This made me smile!