Iowa Predictions - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2008, 11:42 PM   #241
Refugee

Local Time: 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

First of all, NO SHIT SHERLOCK, secondly, how do you know there won't be any radical changes?

Like you always say about the war, changes take time.

I think her relief comes from not having a fucking idiot in the white house...

Unless Huck or Mitt wins, we are stepping up!

Because this country is still overall conservative. Its why Bill Clinton was forced to move to the right after the 1994 elections. If one of the leading three Democrats is elected, they will be careful not to make the mistakes of Clintons first two years.

But on the largest issue in foreign policy which is Iraq, the leading Democratic candidates went from supporting a withdrawal of all US combat troops by March 31, 2008 at the start of 2007, to not committing to having all US troops out of Iraq by 2013 just a couple of months ago. Right now it seems highly unlikely that a new Democratic president will be pursuing a radically different policy in Iraq come January 2009 in light of the dramatic success in 2007 and the continued progress were likely to see in 2008.

Of course Edwards once again changed his tune at the last second and is now promising to have all troops out of Iraq by October 2009, but that will change again in the unlikely event he got the nomination.

Often, what the candidates promise in the primaries is one thing as they try to satisfy their party base, then what they promise in the general election becomes an attempt to find the center, and then they enter the office and face reality and are forced once again to revise things. I'm not saying that change, for better or worse, can't happen, but don't be surprised if a new Democratic administration is not radically different from the Bush administration you so despise.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:43 PM   #242
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
The one thing I was always not sold on re: Obama is that I feel like he says all the right things, but they rarely have any content.

That said, he is absolutely inspirational when you watch him. My father just saw the speech, he is a man who hasn't voted in 18 years and he said he'd vote for Obama. He makes you feel like you can actually do anything - a black man who was the first editor of the Harvard Law Journal (people have no idea what an accomplishment this is), who won one of the whitest states, and who has finally figured out how to bring young people to the polls. That is remarkable, whether or not you agree with him.

Republicans should pay attention. They have a guy sitting in the white house whom people voted for because they thought they could have a beer with him. The amount of hypocrisy about Obama's lack of experience is stunning given that Bush was a failure at everything he ever did. But, if the country was willing to vote for a guy they want to go to a bar with, then you should fear the guy who makes people think that they really can achieve the American dream. I would not want to run against him.
The reason I like Obama is because of his ideas and more than that, the way he thinks. There's a lot of "content" to what he thinks--at least there was. I remember reading articles about him before he was even a candidate and I was impressed with how he approached the issues. He seemed to really THINK rather than just taking knee-jerk party line positions. Right then, I knew this is a rare thing--a politician I would believe in. I sense that may have changed some as he's gone into campaign mode and I find that disappointing, but I'm hoping the Obama I first was captivated by is still there.

The fact that he's an inspiring speaker is a bonus, but that's all.

It is remarkable though, the kind of mood he seems to inspire in people. It is infectious. It's the kind of effect I imagine John F. Kennedy had on people. The whole excitement about what might be possible for the country and so on.

Another irony. . .I can only think of one other politician that I thought demonstrated the kind of independent thinking that I admired in Obama. . .and that was John McCain circa 2000--a guy who didn't just talk "reaching across the aisle"--someone who actually did it.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:43 PM   #243
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

True. Remember that one guy. . .fella from Illinois. . .very little experience, lost most elections he ran for and somehow ended up in the White House. . .what was his name? Oh, yes. Abraham Lincoln. Good thing this inexperienced man didn't get in to office when the nation was in a time of serious crisis.
Different times... different issues... a completely awful alternative in Douglas...

Oh, and Lincoln was way more experienced than Obama is right now.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:44 PM   #244
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:17 PM
they are the true Americans that have been paying attention to the news the last fews days that said Obama wins
and Hillary takes 3rd and she is all done.

So these are the white ditto-heads putting a stake in Hillary's heart?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:45 PM   #245
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow

Because this country is still overall conservative.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:45 PM   #246
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

Different times... different issues... a completely awful alternative in Douglas...

Plus
Obama is a straight black Democrat.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:46 PM   #247
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

no, it isn't. more people identify as Democrats than Republicans, and independents have moved away from the Republicans in droves.

it's the Republicans who've been pandering most to their base -- all this "brown peril" illegal immigrant nativism -- and the Democrats who have all run centrist, national campaigns up to this point.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:47 PM   #248
Blue Crack Addict

It's kinda funny how in this mostly conservative country, you have such an evil liberal media. I mean, it's like media apartheid out there.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #249
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

no, it isn't.
sorry
we are still
mostly white
mostly christian

case closed.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:49 PM   #250
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

no, it isn't. more people identify as Democrats than Republicans, and independents have moved away from the Republicans in droves.

Don't confuse Dem/Rep with liberal/conservative.

Conservatives outnumber liberals.

Democrats outnumber Republicans.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:49 PM   #251
Refugee

Local Time: 12:17 AM
Quote:

it's true.

it's going to take years and years to repair the damage.

Its more likely they will find themselves adopting policies they previously opposed because of their obvious success. For the Kucinich branch of the Democratic party, the primaries will seem like a distant memory by November 2008 as who ever is the Democratic nominee will be running as far as they can from them in order to win.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:50 PM   #252
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Yeah, they were even worse times. The very nation was on the brink of imploding. You think we're divided today? Try 1860. (Granted, Lincoln through no choice of his own, was more of a divider than a uniter. Secession largely boiled down to his election victory). He also had three opponents--Douglas, Breckinridge, and Bell, I believe. Douglas was far more experienced than Lincoln was.

Quote:
How so?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:51 PM   #253
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:17 PM
Quote:

No, I would say this country is still overall status quo and somewhat lazy...
Old 01-03-2008, 11:53 PM   #254
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Lincoln is over-rated.

and this true hero, almost forgotten.
John Brown?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:53 PM   #255
Blue Crack Addict