Invisible Children of Uganda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonosLil'Pal94

ONE love, blood, life
The other day at school, a few kids told me about this. Its these kids in Africa called 'Night Commuters.' Every night they travel to a safe spot because they are afraid to sleep at home. Along the way, other kids who had been abducted try to take other kids into the army as well. Here's a more detailed explanation:

"Everyday in Uganda, innocent children are being abducted and taken into the forest. There, they learn how to kill; they are tortured, beaten, and raped. This is all going on secretly as a plan to overthrow the government. Many children go into hiding with nothing but one pair of clothes. They leave home in hopes to find a better life, but all they find is death and misery around them. Children are starved, and those who are taken by the rebels suffer severe injuries such as knife wounds and gun shots. Many young girls are giving early birth because they are being raped by the rebels. This is all going on, and the Uganda government is not doing anything to stop it. Children are being abused, so it is up to children (and adults) to do something to make Uganda, and the children of Uganda, a better safer place to live. Together, we can stop the war in Uganda."

There are a few websites you can go to help. A good one is www.invisiblechildren.com. You can watch a short trailer of the 55 minute movie there. I was inspired after I watched the movie. I'm sure it will inspire many of you too. There is some violence in it, and its quite sad at parts, but it truly is a movie I encourage you to watch. It may be on youtube, someone told me, but I couldn't find it.

Spread the awareness please! Pray for the children in Africa that everything will eventually get settled and they can once again live in peace. :pray:

Thank you!

I regret that I had to work during a screening of this film on campus. But thanks for your reflections Maddy! :hug: I'm gonna stop by my fav hippy store to see if they have it available to rent yet.

It is easy to just push things like this that are really happening in other countries to the back of your mind. Because like you said Maddy, it is so sad.

It is also easy to think that because we are over here and not where things like this take place, that we are helpless and can't do anything.

Thank you for this post. I will check out the website and certainly these children will be in my prayers.

This is terrible...It seems as though you can't do enough to help this continent from it destroying itself. :(

Thanks to you Maddy, I just purchased a T from their site, maybe it will bring more awareness about Uganda!

Great find!:hug:

Last edited:
The use (and abuse) of child soldiers is probably the single most appalling dimension of the various conflicts around the world where they're currently involved. Although their use in Africa is limited to a handful of countries--Uganda, DR Congo, Sudan, Rwanda, Somalia, a few others--this is still twice again as many child soldiers as there are across the rest of the world (mostly in Asia). And the Lord's Resistance Army of Uganda is widely considered the worst offender by international children's welfare groups.

That's an excellent website for information and resources.

JCOSTER said:
This is terrible...It seems as though you can't do enough to help this continent from it destroying itself. :(

Thanks to you Maddy, I just purchased a T from their site, maybe it will bring more awareness about Uganda!

Great find!:hug:

:up: i still have to get something myself, but i haven't gotten anything yet. thanks so much guys for taking the time to read this!

It deals with Sierra Leone instead of Uganda, but the book "A Long Way Gone" by Ishmael Beah is about the author's experiences being forced to fight as a teenager.

Very interesting and often horrific book. I really wished it had continued to learn what happened after the book ends, but maybe he's saving that story for another book.

lil' pal -- great post!

this is a very cool organization/movement. they have some great videos on YouTube/MySpace that are worth checking out. Very, very moving stuff.

the coolest thing is it's a few 20-somethings behind it all.

I'm definitely joining you in prayer on this situation.

Again, nice job.

Lila64 said:
Wasn't he recently on a show? I thought I saw an interview with him :scratch:

Pretty sure he was on Jon Stewart's show a little while back. He's such a vibrant young man and so cheerful...hard to imagine what he went through and how he's managed to cope so well. :(

I lived in Uganda a couple years ago and this issue is near to my heart. One of the worst things is the national and international political catch-22 surounding resolving the conflict in Northern Uganda. The country is really two countries, with the south being much better developed than the north and of course not undergoing a war. Museveni (the president) recently abolished the term limit that would have forced him to step down last year with no condemnation from the international community that is so concerned with democratization. He will continue to have support because he is doing pretty solid stuff for the southern part of the country, which means the north will continue to be neglected. Further, he invited the ICC in to investigate the crimes in the north, which may seem like a good thing. But, it is terrible on many levels. He invited them in to sheild himself from investigation into his role in atrocities in the Congo. For the people of Northern Uganda, the ICC does not present a solution - there is a lot of fear mongering among the warlords that have made child soldiers who would not actually be the targets of an ICC prosecution afraid that they will be, preventing people from returning to their normal lives and giving these warlords protection from the ICC. The ICC has kind of realized that they are basically in an impossible situation - doomed to failure and possibly prolonging the problems if they stay, but if they pull out of the first country that invited them in it will seriously screw with their image and mandate.

:wave: FYM...I've been so busy in the last few weeks I've sadly neglected Interference.

Thank you coemgen.

This is a very serious issue on many levels. My problems seem so trivial in comparison. In this day and age you would think there are means to make conditions over there at least livable.

I am very impressed Bono'slilpal:yes:.

You must be a very proud Lila:up:

Thanks guys! :hug: I was hoping a lot of people would read this, because its such a serious problem. I encourage everyone to try and do something about it. Donating the smallest amount would help. :pray:

Well, I'd love to but unfortunately, I will be travelling out of town for my work. Hopefully, I'll get another chance when it comes around on netflix. Still, I hope a good number of students do show up for the film. It's always a wonderful thing to see them exploring other worlds and opening their minds to the realities of the lives other people live. We screened a very powerful film about FGM last month and there was a good discussion after the movie. It's the kind of topics that aren't "fun" to think about, but are important, I think.

:yes: i agree. i'm sorry you won't get to watch it, but as long as you do eventually.......:up:

No topics like this are fun to think about, but when it comes down to it, everyone should really know about it. When something this bad is happening in the world, no one should ignore it. I'm glad I got the chance to watch this film, because it has definitely changed my life. It has inspi(red) me to spread the word and make sure this problem is solved. Once again, thanks to everyone for reading about this.

A couple kids including me at my school have raised $2000 for Invisible Children and we want to raise $10,000 total. We just had a showing and about 200 of the 1300 students came. We made invisible children shirts and have sold about 100 over them and I've personally raised $500 for the schools to schools program. This is a great cause, CHECK IT OUT!

cjboog said:
A couple kids including me at my school have raised $2000 for Invisible Children and we want to raise $10,000 total. We just had a showing and about 200 of the 1300 students came. We made invisible children shirts and have sold about 100 over them and I've personally raised $500 for the schools to schools program. This is a great cause, CHECK IT OUT!

:applaud: :dancing: :applaud: :dancing: :applaud: :bow:

Awesome!!!

cjboog said:

Well done. :up:

cjboog said:

:applaud:

cjboog said:

:applaud: :dancing: Thats awesome!! keep up the good work! (now i sound like your teacher :lol: )

Back
Top Bottom