Inventor Denies Using Dead Cats For Fuel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryMullen's POPAngel

Blue Crack Distributor
I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
I saw the title and it immediately caught my attention.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9339530/

BERLIN - A German inventor said he has developed a method to produce crude oil products from waste that he believes can be an answer to the soaring costs of fuel, but denied a German newspaper story implying he also used dead cats.

Christian Koch, an inventor and patent holder of the “KDV 500” that he said produces high quality fuel, said he can transform waste products such as paper, rubbish and plastic materials into fuel.

But Koch, 55, said there was no truth to stories published in Bild newspaper on Tuesday and Wednesday that suggested he used dead cats as part of the mix for his organic diesel fuel.

“I use paper, plastics, textiles and rubbish,” Koch told Reuters.

“It’s an alternative fuel that is friendly for the environment. But it’s complete nonsense to suggest dead cats. I’ve never used cats and would never think of that. At most the odd toad may have jumped in.”

Bild on Tuesday wrote a headline: “German inventor can turn cats into fuel -- for a tank he needs 20 cats.” The paper on Wednesday followed up with a story entitled: “Can you really make fuel out of cats?”

A spokesman for Bild told Reuters the story was meant to show that cat remains could “in theory” be used to make fuel with Koch’s patented method.

The author of the story said Koch had never told him directly that he had used dead cats as the story implied.

The website of Koch’s firm, “Alphakat GmbH”, says his patented “KDV 500” machine can produce what he calls the “bio-diesel” fuel at about 23 euro cents (30 cents) a liter, which is about one-fifth the price at petrol stations now.

“I drive my normal diesel-powered car with this mixture,” Koch is quoted saying in Bild, next to a large picture of a kitten. “I have gone 170,000 km (106,000 miles) without a problem.”

Copyright 2005 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

Oh Jesus. You "could" use dead cats for fuel, but you "could" use dead humans and you "could" use dead anything.

Such tabloid journalism we have out there.

Melon

melon said:
Oh Jesus. You "could" use dead cats for fuel, but you "could" use dead humans and you "could" use dead anything.

Melon

Exactly, melon. I saw the title at first at was ready to get all riled up, until I read it and realized that it was just implied.

I still thought I'd post it anyway, just to see what kind of reactions are out there.

“I drive my normal diesel-powered car with this mixture,” Koch is quoted saying in Bild, next to a large picture of a kitten. “I have gone 170,000 km (106,000 miles) without a problem.”

That bit right there is tabloid perfection.

Ah, the Bild, Germans largest yellow press newspaper :mad:

They invent things to make an article a lot of times. E.g. last week they wrote about the baby of a famous German comedian whee everything was wrong, the name, the weight, the size, and the date of birth. The only truth in this article was the comment of the father: "No comment!"

So, if something is written by the Bild, don't believe it ;) It's like the Sun.

Interesting kind of fuel, I know also a German company that makes fuel out of wood. And with prices at about €1.30 ($1,59) to €1.50 ($1,83) per liter depending on which fuel your car needs it is good to have some alternatives in future.

melon said:

Melon
I have to agree with this point. If we can use dead humans for stem cell research, it's amazing that we're riled up on using dead cats. THEY'RE DEAD. IT DOESN'T HURT THEM.

Macfistowannabe said:
I have to agree with this point. If we can use dead humans for stem cell research, it's amazing that we're riled up on using dead cats. THEY'RE DEAD. IT DOESN'T HURT THEM.

Yeah, but we don't want them killing the poor things just to make fuel, that's what gets people riled up.

:tsk: Real nice of that rag, to paint an inventor as a kitty killer. This guy's just trying to make an alternate fuel out of garbage, and more power to him (pardon the pun), and the media, as usual, goes off on a wild tangent. :madspit:

Back
Top Bottom