Intollerence in San Francisco??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
San Francisco which as you may know is a very liberal city. They claim to be diverse and accept anyone. There was a christian rally in SBC park, where the basis of it was to turn youth away from the heavy sexualization of today's society.

A City supervisors
That's bad news to Assemblyman Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, who told counterprotesters at City Hall on Friday that while such fundamentalists may be small in number, "they're loud, they're obnoxious, they're disgusting, and they should get out of San Francisco."

What happened to free speech does it not count in SF unless it meets the city councils taste? For such a diverse city, they are not really diverse with certain people.

One person from the Christian Rally said this.
His youth pastor had no interest in engaging in political debates.

"I'm not here to hate anybody," Scott Thompson said. "This isn't about Bush or gays or anything other than being here to worship together."

I find this inconsistent also. Just because the City Council doesn't agree with their beliefs doesn't mean that they shouldn't be allowed to have a rally. We're not talking about the Ku Klux Klan, after all.

*starting timer t opost explaining why conservatives do the same thing, only worse*

It's clear that principles of intollerance, diversity or inclusiveness only extend to the bounds of one's political beliefs.

Earlier this week, the Board of Supervisors passed a resolution condemning the "act of provocation" by what it termed an "anti-gay," "anti-choice" organization that aimed to "negatively influence the politics of America's most tolerant and progressive city."

No tolerance of conservative Christians - now by law!

I chose not to take my youth group to this rally in Detroit because their methods made me a little uncomfortable.

But at the same time, condeming them as "anti-gay" and "anti-choice" is just plain lazy.

I have trouble with the liberals here. I'm a liberal myself, but I have no right to force others to have my values. If I were a conservative I would want to go to the conservative rally. I'll go to my gay rights rally and let the conservatives go to their evangelical rally. Why can't both sides just say their piece and let that be it? I don't think we need all of this condemnation of worldviews that aren't ours. There's room for all of us in this country.

Those SF Supervisors are showing them selfs to be a hate group just as the KKK.

I'd like to see pictures from the rally to see how many visible minorities I can find.

Btw, the KKK doesn't hate anyone, they just like to promote white Christian love.:|

mn_battlecry25_108_pc.jpg

Rev. Judy Tergis from the Church of Natural Grace shouts at evangelical Christian youths rallying outside City Hall. Chronicle photo by Paul Chinn

Sister Mary Timothy of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence shouts at evangelical Christian youths rallying outside City Hall. Chronicle photo by Paul Chinn
mn_battlecry25_068.jpg

ba_youth26_106_pc.jpg

ba_youth26_049_pc.jpg

ba_youth26_008_pc.jpg

Why can't they agree they they'll never agree on some points and go ahead and let both groups have their say? Why do they have to make asses out of themselves to make the other people shut up when the other people shouldn't have to shut up anyway?

I can't believe the Supervisors are afraid of these people to have their own words heard, when it's there god given right.

nbcrusader said:

Are you evaluating speech based on the color of the speaker?

No, I was just curious...and happy to see that it's a fairly diverse crowd. Far more so than you would see at a U2 concert even. Thanks for the pics, Justin.

Your Welcome. I wrote an e-mail to Mark Leno and some of the other city council members about this.

nbcrusader said:
San Francisco is the Pat Robertson of the left.

Since we're going to start making offensive statements...

The nemesis of blacks is the KKK.
The nemesis of Jews are neo-Nazis.
The nemesis of homosexuals are Christians.

Now you can see why San Francisco told them to fuck off.

Melon

nbcrusader said:

I think you are smart enough to understand what I was saying.

i'm smart enough to know that comparisons, for them to have any meaning, should be between comparable things.

perhaps San Francisco is the Salt Lake City of the Left? or perhaps the Commonwealth of Virginia, the most aggressively anti-gay state in the country where i probably could not even own a house with another male.

It's true that conservative Christians consider homosexuality a sin. However, I don't see anything wrong with allowing conservative Christians to have a rally in the city. They're not passing laws, they're just talking. If you are talking about legislation that's another matter. A rally is just a rally.

nbcrusader said:
Or, how about simply the San Francisco city council.

Sorry I didn't add the explaination earlier.

fair enough.

this bru-ha-ha by the city council does seem silly to me, btw.

verte76 said:
It's true that conservative Christians consider homosexuality a sin. However, I don't see anything wrong with allowing conservative Christians to have a rally in the city. They're not passing laws, they're just talking. If you are talking about legislation that's another matter. A rally is just a rally.

Of course, but should blacks just ignore the KKK when they have rallies in cities? Protests are necessary to show that hate groups are not welcome.

But hey...no one is stopping them from having a rally. It's a constitutional protection.

Melon

But I think the city supervisor, Mark Leno went a little to far??

Last edited:
Justin24 said:
But I think the city supervisor, Mark Leno went a little to far??

Not at all. I would expect a black politician to make similar statements about a KKK rally or a Jewish politician regarding a neo-Nazi really.

If Christians insist on making homosexuals an enemy, then they had better be prepared for the fallout.

Melon

Yes, but they were not there to complain about Homosexuality. They were there to bring the youth closer to God. And yes every form of hate group has a right to protest or rally in this country.

Justin24 said:
Yes, but they were not there to complain about Homosexuality. They were there to bring the youth closer to God. And yes every form of hate group has a right to protest or rally in this country.

"To bring the youth closer to God." And in San Francisco. Read between the lines.

Anyway, I expect them to get a rally permit, whether through official means or through a court ruling. That's not in question for me. However, I'm merely stating that I understand why SF officials are giving them a hard time.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom