Interview with Marine - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2005, 05:31 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:03 AM
One point AIW, you cited the events of September 1982 blaming Sharon for ordering the IDF to raze the palestinian refugee camps to the ground. What you neglected to mention was that the Lebanese Christian Phalangist militia was responsible for the massacres that occurred at Sabra and Shatila. Israeli troops allowed the Phalangists to enter the camps to root out terrorist cells believed located there. It had been estimated that there may have been up to 200 armed men in the camps working out of the countless bunkers built by the PLO over the years, and stocked with generous reserves of ammunition. Israel had allowed the Phalange to enter the camps as part of a plan to transfer authority to the Lebanese, and accepted responsibility for that decision. You made the implication that the IDF attacked and killed the Palestinians in September 1982 under the orders of Ariel Sharon ~ that is a lie and you should know better.

As for your statement about 1958 ~ what are you talking about, what event. At that time Ariel Sharon was an Infantry Brigade Commander, surely you were referencing the much more questionable Unite 101 which he founded and led from 1953 on.

Ironically, while 300,000 Israelis demonstrated in Israel to protest the killings, little or no reaction occurred in the Arab world. Outside the Middle East, a major international outcry against Israel erupted over the massacres. The Phalangists, who perpetrated the crime, were spared the brunt of the condemnations for it.

You call him a fascist and say that he has his very own place in hell, I think that we have just scratched the surface here and you are going into the territory of pathological hatred ~ what makes him a fascist? is it his economic policies - is he curbing freedoms within Israel - is he comitting genocide against the Palestinians (a piss poor effort if he has been, their numbers have grown exponentially since '48). I think that you are calling him a fascist because it works well when dealing with a Jewish state. I think that this is where it becomes a case of Jews comitting genocide against Palestinians ergo they are just like the Nazi's therefore you can have free reign to slur Israel and get loose with the truth.

Old 02-26-2005, 06:26 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 04:03 AM
you are right, its 1953, not 1958.

election of a man who have admitted to killing those people on from 1953 as the PM of israel ranks pretty high as one of the failures of democracy, right up there with bush's re-election.

the man is dubbed as the butcher of beirut, and even a right winger such as netanyahu (who lead likud before sharon) recognizes that he is not exactly a man of peace.

Old 02-28-2005, 12:47 AM   #18
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:03 AM
Give the guy some credit. He's dismantling the settlements at his own political peril and you chalk it up to political correctness? Was Arafat a "man of peace?

What do you think the Israelis should do, all go back to Europe? Let's be honest and take your views to their finality. What should happpen?
Old 02-28-2005, 07:22 AM   #19
The Fly

arafat was more peaceful than your s0-called president. nothing would happen if israel went back to europe. hitler is dead, stupid.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:46 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by earthshell
arafat was more peaceful than your s0-called president. nothing would happen if israel went back to europe. hitler is dead, stupid.
Who are you to come into this forum and call someone stupid?
Old 02-28-2005, 04:30 PM   #21
Acrobat

Arafat was the one constant in the history of the Israeli Palestinian conflict. Elected Israeli leaders came and went.

The one guy who had the most power to bring peace did not. Arafat's death is the greatest opportunity for peace since the conflict started. I think we all want peace, including Sharon.

I believe Arafat's vision of peace was the elimination of the Israeli state. If you want to call that peaceful go right ahead.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:47 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 04:03 AM
im not defending arafat. all palestinians ive talked to so far told me he was pocketing billions of dollars and he didnt really care much about his people.

whether he is less peaceful than sharon is matter of another debate.