Interview With an Extremist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Interview with an extremist in Norway
“Look at the development of the populations in Europe where Moslems are breeding like Mosquitoes. Every western woman produces on average 1.4 children. Every Moslem woman in the same countries produce 3.5 children. In the year 2050, 30 percent of the population of Europe will be Moslems.”
link

Does this qualify as hate speech?

I think the speaker believes their ethnic group is a victim of historical injustice.

I will give a big hint that this speaker does not see this statement as anti-Islam.

Last edited:
It is a bit jolting to see a Muslim describe his own brethren as "breeding like mosquitoes"...but I suppose this could be a sort of strategic reappropriation of a stereotype, analogous to how early rap artists turned the fearmongering image of the marauding black man into a quasi-ironic rhetorical device.

yolland said:
but I suppose this could be a sort of strategic reappropriation of a stereotype, analogous to how early rap artists turned the fearmongering image of the marauding black man into a quasi-ironic rhetorical device.

Say that five times fast...;)

I'm not a fan of propaganda, from all sides. Attention-seekers even less so.

angelordevil said:
Say that five times fast...;)
:lol: I did come across like a stereotypical turgid academic there, didn't I? Well, I first encountered that theory in a media studies class (where we also read an essay with the thesis "I submit that NWA's Bitches With Money is a black lumpenproletarian reading of The Cosby Show" :der: ) so perhaps I'm not the best-equipped person to speak the plain-talk truth about these things...

yolland said:
It is a bit jolting to see a Muslim describe his own brethren as "breeding like mosquitoes"...but I suppose this could be a sort of strategic reappropriation of a stereotype, analogous to how early rap artists turned the fearmongering image of the marauding black man into a quasi-ironic rhetorical device.
I think in this case he is exactly right, the birthrate is much higher in the Muslim populations regardless of stereotypes.

Oh I know, but it's a rather vulgar and irresponsible term for someone who presents himself as a leader and a spokesman to use, don't you think?

It is a little strange for someone who claims to be representing these people to refer to them in that matter, yes. Unsettling is a better word.

Back
Top Bottom