Intersting Proposal For Peace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Chirac Must Make Quick Moves
Abdullah Al-Fawzan/Al-Watan

Although French President Jacques Chirac has pledged that he would use the veto power against the joint US-British proposal to launch a war against Iraq, he did not make any move to present a counter proposal.

However, I am confident that President Chirac can stop the war if he moves quickly to foil the American plan. Chirac has insisted that Iraq must be disarmed of its weapons of mass destruction and that weapons inspectors and peace initiatives must be given more chance.

This is the main reason for his conflict with the Americans and British, who believe that there is no use sending in the inspectors because the Iraqi regime would not destroy the weapons through peaceful efforts and that the use of force is therefore necessary. The United States and Britain have already stated that they would go to war with or without a UN Security Council resolution.

If this is the situation, what should we expect from Chirac? Will his pronouncement that he would use the veto power prevent the war? What is the use of his moral stand if it does not?

In my opinion, Chirac must make a quick and serious move now. He should help the Americans and British find a way out of the impasse and propose solutions to prevent the war, without causing any embarrassment to both parties.

This is what we expect from France, not just the reaffirmation of its moral position as it stands by as a mere observer.

I would like to ask the French president to work earnestly for the issuance of a new Security Council resolution, with a new initiative that provides members of the Iraqi regime with a real chance to prove that there are no weapons of mass destruction in their country.

All members of the Security Council, including the United States and Britain, must also guarantee the protection of the Iraqi regime?s members for six months, which they will spend in France. During that period the administration of Iraq would be temporarily handed over to the United Nations and the Arab League through the international forces, which will be formed from the permanent members of the Security Council and some influential Arab countries.

During this six-month period, the UN weapons inspectors will continue their search for weapons of mass destruction and interviews with Iraqi scientists and others.

If proved that Iraq was holding weapons of mass destruction and that Iraq was lying, the members of the Iraqi regime in France could be sent into exile. The United Nations and the Arab League would then supervise the formation of a new democratic government in Baghdad.

On the other hand, if the inspections proved there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, the members of the regime will return to the country with full honor. They will also get an apology and the International Court of Justice will handle all the subsequent legal issues.

This is just an idea and there will be others, which President Chirac could put forward to end the present stalemate. What is important is that he must move quickly and give strong leadership to the anti-war movement to prevent an imminent outbreak of war.

I would like to ask the French president to work earnestly for the issuance of a new Security Council resolution, with a new initiative that provides members of the Iraqi regime with a real chance to prove that there are no weapons of mass destruction in their country.

Yes... because obviously they have not had enough time... haha!

Saddam could easily, in 24 hours, show where/how they destroyed the anthrax and other agents, but really now, why should he?

Inspections really cannot prove/disprove whether Iraq has weapons of mass destruction.. Hans Blix has said this himself. All they can do is make it more difficult to produce and hide them, but it still can be done.

If proved that Iraq was holding weapons of mass destruction and that Iraq was lying, the members of the Iraqi regime in France could be sent into exile. The United Nations and the Arab League would then supervise the formation of a new democratic government in Baghdad

I'm sure Saddam would agree to this! HAHA! Saddam will not be exiled nor would he ever agree to such a plan. The only way he is going to leave is by the use of tremendous force.

But why 6 months, why not make it a year, or two? Why not make it 3 months? There's only about 3 million basements to search in Baghdad! They'll never find it! The only way the US has been able to find it is through 50 years and a trillion dollars of satellite technology.

There is only 1 diplomatic solution to this:

Saddam gives up the anthrax and all other agents...

Mark

Excellent article Dreadsox!

But honestly, between you and me (and everyone else I guess lol):

Do you really think that the Bush admin would go for this, or would they attack before it could be passed/happen?

It would be a PR nightmare if they did tho, I mean, then once and for all it would be proven that the real goal wasn't disarmament or even regime change, but control.

It might even spark a third world war.

I'm not being facetious here, I just think the possibility of Bush even considering a rational reasonable middle ground like this to be slim to nil.

MadelynIris:
they can't do it in 24hours! Blix said that even with perfect cooperation this task would take months!

So a "several days" or "several weeks" rethorics baisicly says f**k the UN, we want war not only a disarmed Saddam Hussein.

The UN needs the presure done by Bush, but it would need also the will to go back home if the UN inspections are successful - i never saw this from the US side.

The US found this stuff easily, count together how many Anthrax spors France and the USA sold in the 80ies, if they destroyed less there is something left.

Klaus

gabrielvox said:
Do you really think that the Bush admin would go for this, or would they attack before it could be passed/happen?

The clock runs out tomorrow. I am sorry to say, it does not look good.

Peace

I really believe that you and I have been close in thought with alot of things on this whole debate that's been raging for the past few months Dreadsox. I mean, we both have no great love for Hussein, and we both realize that he's somewhat of a threat. I also didn't ever truly think that you just wanted to go to war without looking at other alternatives, and I really appreciated your research in alot of the areas of this ongoing discussion. :up:

I just wanted to say that now because after this whole thing starts and the innocent bodies start to pile up, I think my heart will be far too heavy to even bother coming in here to discuss this thing again. :sigh:

What's really sad is to be stuck with the realization that there WERE other alternatives out there, and that we will go down in history as turning a blind eye to them.

What is happening to us? We were supposed to be evolving, getting more peaceful, finding new ways to make peace.

Instead we spend more time and money on new ways to fight wars.

:(

Well it seems like the Tuesday UN meeting with the peace iniciative of France/Russia/Germany will be obsolete through G.W.Bushs move - and he can say "the others did not present an alternative (and can hide that he prevented that)

Lets face it, George Walker Bush had never a interest in peaceful solutions :( He prefers the idea to be mentioned in history as the one who destroyed the United Nations :(
If the price is another 9/11? Well it won't be problematic for his popularity, like Suicide bombers are no problem for the popularity of Ariel Sharons politics.

Klaus

Last edited:
Klaus said:
Lets face it, George Walker Bush had never a interest in peaceful solutions :( He prefers the idea to be mentioned in history as the one who destroyed the United Nations :(
If the price is another 9/11? Well it won't be problematic for his popularity, like Suicide bombers are no problem for the popularity of Ariel Sharons politics.

Klaus

People were saying this last August.

They said Bush was going to act without Congressional approval.
(He got it overwealmingly from both parties)

They said he was going to do it without the UN.
(He got res. 1441 with a 15-0 vote)

He has continued to for 4 and a half months ask the UN to back up their words, because Iraq is not following through.

The UN's demise is on the UN itself.

Yep....12 years is just too short a time to give someone a chance to live up to their end of an agreement.

Of course Saddam had nothing to do with all of this. It must be GW BUsh's fault.

:scratch:

gabrielvox said:
I really believe that you and I have been close in thought with alot of things on this whole debate that's been raging for the past few months Dreadsox. I mean, we both have no great love for Hussein, and we both realize that he's somewhat of a threat. I also didn't ever truly think that you just wanted to go to war without looking at other alternatives, and I really appreciated your research in alot of the areas of this ongoing discussion. :up:

I

Thank you for the nice comment. I do enjoy the debate, but the next few days, my heart too will not be in it.

I do hope it will be quick, with few casualties on both sides. There have been more unnecessary deaths there over the past 12 years than will come from this war. There can be good to come of this, and hopefully the humanitarian aid will once again get to where it is needed and the people of Iraq will not suffer. That is my hope. I am not speaking the party line here. If anything good can come of it this would be my hope.

Peace to all of you.

If there is one thing that is prominent on both sides of the arguments, is this constant talk of the 'demise of the UN'; with all due respect, this is unfounded. The UN has ALWAYS been on a rollercoaster ride in terms of its relevance and power, it has highs and lows all the time, it is its nature.

The UN's demise has not been seen yet, not over this.

Ant.

1441: was the pro for forcing Saddam to let inspections go, not pro war so it was a 15:0 pro inspections.

because there won't be legitimation for war NOW the USA decided to ignore the United Nations and ignore international law (remember Kofi Anan when he repeated that there is no legitimation for war yet) and attack a foreign country at a time where's no need for self defense against the iraq military!

the warmongers are abusing the UN Resolution like he was abusing ai statements.

The new Weapon Inspections were a success but now the inspectors have to stop their work, because to be evacuated to safe them from US missiles. That's a sad day :(

UN can only be effective when the mayority of the members want the UN to be effective, sadly the last years there was not much interest. Bush had a big change to end that pat-situation and help the UN, sadly it wasn't his intention to help them.

Lets see how Iraq looks in 10 years, if Georges "vision" becomes true and there will be a prospering peaceloving democracy because of this war. Let's hope he's doing the right thing and my views are completely wrong, let's hope there won't be more terror, a forgotten iraq with a installed regime which has to be defended against the own citizens by military force like Saddam (which also got his dictator-job thanks to the US when i remember this one right)

Klaus

Back
Top Bottom