interesting new angle on the gay marriage debate - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2006, 01:03 AM   #121
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:14 AM
Dread, you don't get it. Heterosexuals = IDEAL, Homosexuals = downfall of society...

Did he not make that clear?

Old 07-13-2006, 01:12 AM   #122
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I was thinking.....

Would Christ be pushing for IDEALS or dealing with reality.

The only time he is violent, based on my recollection is towards the money changers at the TEMPLE.

The rest of the time, it seems to me, he looked at reality....

this sick need healing...shudder...even on the Sabbath....so he did against the IDEAL of the day.

He ate with the TAX collector, against the IDEAL of the day.

He accepted the gentile, against the IDEAL of the day.

I think GOD would love the ideal, and I dare say, there are people who make it in this word who fit the mold, but I also believe GOD a realist...look at the people he chose to work with...They were certainly not the ideal.....

There were many IDEALISTS in Jesus' day...I am not certain he hung with them.

Why is Billy Joel going through my head......
Good point. To add to it - Jesus promises to make us INTO the ideal. That is the common theme in most of my posts.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:18 AM   #123
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

Good point. To add to it - Jesus promises to make us INTO the ideal. That is the common theme in most of my posts.
So did he say reject those until then? Because that's what seems like your common theme.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:26 AM   #124
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

So did he say reject those until then? Because that's what seems like your common theme.
What? Because I believe Christian marriage is defined in the Bible as between a man and a woman does not mean I "reject" anybody.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:31 AM   #125
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 07-13-2006, 01:33 AM   #126
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

What? Because I believe Christian marriage is defined in the Bible as between a man and a woman does not mean I "reject" anybody.
Let's remember how Christian marriage was defined a century ago...
Old 07-13-2006, 03:35 AM   #127
War Child

Local Time: 04:14 AM
Quote:

Genetic homosexuality cannot be passed down as a trait because of the very simply fact that homosexual couples cannot procreate. There is nothing to pass down because “the buck stop here.” – so to speak…
Your kidding, right? It most certainly does not stop there!

Everyone out there, please excuse me for using a genetically caused disease as an example, but...

I have a cousin who has cystic fibrosis.
The way I understand it, each of his parents (who didn't have the disease) carried a copy of the cystic fibrosis gene and a "normal" gene that "corrected" for it or "cancelled" it out--in other words it is a recessive gene. As long as a person procreates with someone who doesn't have a copy of the 'cystic' gene they won't have children with the disease.

If, as with my cousin, two people with a copy of this gene meet and reproduce, their chances of having a child with cystic fibrosis go way up.

I know, your saying "So what? What does this have to do with homosexuals passing it along genetically, etc".

Until fairly recently children with cystic fibrosis didn't survive to adulthood. No way to reproduce and pass on the gene...yet they were still being born.

So you *don't* have to have homosexuals procreating to have genetic homosexuality passed down as a trait...just two heterosexuals with the same recessive gene!

They will probably find that gene...eventually...

(I'm going on what I learned in science classes and what I've read on the subject(s) of genetics and cystic fibrosis, so forgive any errors--or correct them, if ya'll like.)
Old 07-13-2006, 04:07 AM   #128
War Child

Quote:

This public meaning of marriage is not something that each new generation is free to redefine.

Sorry...my (admitedly casual) readings of historical articles, etc, indicate otherwise. Marriage has been repeatedly redefined in various ways for thousands of years.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:46 AM   #129
The Fly

Local Time: 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by kimby

(I'm going on what I learned in science classes and what I've read on the subject(s) of genetics and cystic fibrosis, so forgive any errors--or correct them, if ya'll like.)
You got it in one try except that, unlike CF, there might be several genes involved.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:51 AM   #130
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by kimby
Well, that's it. Someone with a *simple* understanding of genetics would understand how homosexuality could be passed on genetically. An in-depth study of genetics would reveal *several* mechanisms as to how it would be possible.

It just amazes me the kind of misinformation that is passed on. Last I remembered, lying/"bearing false witness" was a sin too. Maybe "ignorance" gets a free pass in many circles, but not in my book.

Melon
Old 07-13-2006, 07:55 AM   #131
ONE
love, blood, life

Nevermind.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:28 AM   #132
Refugee

Local Time: 08:14 PM
Quote:

Hello to Aeon and all! Peace and blessings to all of you!

I am very glad that you wrote "Christian marriage" now, because when you previously wrote “Marriage is defined by God and nature”, I thought, wow! He is on a roll now .. not only have you upset gay men and women (and their supporters and people who love them) .. even if it isn’t your intention to do so .. you’d more than likely have happily married couples of other beliefs and faiths (eg Buddhists, Hindus, Pagans, Wiccans ..) hopping mad as well!

Another thing that caught my eye a few pages back was the bit about

"Then the Holy Spirit enters into us and begins to mould us into the image of Christ".

Long story short, I was baptized and brought up in the Catholic faith .. albeit not very strictly, I never felt anything forced upon me by anyone. Anyway, nowadays, I do not label myself with anything and don’t feel the need to belong to any religion. The only way I view myself is just a human being trying to live as decently and kindly as I can. And yet, I have experienced many times the ‘hand of God’ upon me. God, being to me personally as, the embodiment of love and compassion. I sincerely believe that I have had a 'Holy Spirit' experience … via yoga class! It was probably one of the most beautiful things that ever happened to me .. I actually bawled my eyes out all the way home because the happiness and joy was so overwhelming. The first thing my boyfriend at the time (whose parents are Baptist Christians) said was I had been touched by the ‘holy spirit’. Despite developing a severe headache anytime religion was discussed with his family, I couldn’t help but feel touched and comforted by his comment.

Anyway .. I do have a point! This experience more than anything else only enhanced and confirmed what I had always believed. My heart was filled with such intense love and compassion, that I could see it also in everything and everyone I looked at afterwards.

Maybe it's just too simplistic, but IMO, I've always believed that God's love extends to everyone, no matter who or what they are. To be so focused and consumed by another's sexuality, don't you overlook what is in the heart and soul of a person?? Isn't that the most important thing?

To live so rigidly 'by the book' seems to me so cold sometimes. But that's just me

ps I ramble too much
Old 07-13-2006, 08:33 AM   #133
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by silja

You got it in one try except that, unlike CF, there might be several genes involved.
Why thank you!
Old 07-13-2006, 08:35 AM   #134
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Nevermind.
Why "nevermind"?
Old 07-13-2006, 08:38 AM   #135
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

So is it your duty to try and make the entire country....follow your definition of "Christian Marriage". I did not realize we are living in a theocracy where "Christian Marriage" has to be established by the governement.