Interesting behind the scenes info on the Kerry campaign in new Newsweek - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2004, 11:28 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler

LOL, I doubt your a catholic. Most catholics I know are decent human beings.
I'm a decent human being, and until Kerry gets up and apologizes to the Veterans that he trashed and called war criminals, he gets no respect here or in any Veterans Hospital across america. There is a reason why he lost the military vote big time on Tuesday. Jane Fonda had the decency to apologize to the soldiers for what she did, we're still waiting on Kerry, and he had the perfect opportunity to do it yesterday, the election was over, it would't have affected any polling numbers, but he still won't apologize.... the book UNFIT FOR COMMAND should be reprinted and in it they should detail how the U.S. Military got the last laugh on Kerry 33 years after he trashed them in the media

Old 11-05-2004, 12:59 PM   #17
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:01 PM
You're pretty abrasive GOP_Catholic... be you troll or newbie or lurker.... I'm still scratching my head wondering what...

Old 11-05-2004, 01:13 PM   #18
New Yorker

Some other funny stuff...

Quote:
Kerry clearly needed help with his speaking skills, so in early spring he quietly appeared at the 17th Street offices of Michael Sheehan, a well-known Washington speech coach who has helped numerous Democratic politicians—and worked with some, like Gore, who seemed beyond help.
I was LOL at the dig at Gore... The above quote being related to Kerry's somewhat "boring" style of speech. LOL... do people really think Gore was really that bad at the time of 2000?
Old 11-05-2004, 01:18 PM   #19
New Yorker

Although, I think Carville is a little goofy weird... he is just as influential as Rove.... hmmmm.... will these two juggernauts ever match wits against each other?

Quote:
Negative advertising is only one brushstroke in the dark arts of modern campaigning. All major campaigns maintain "rapid response" units. The 24/7 media and the technology of the Internet demand it. A campaign can no longer spend the day working for that one good 90-second "visual" on the evening news. On cable TV the message of the day can lock in early, getting repeated every half hour or so unless it is successfully rebutted or trumped. The first state-of-the-art rapid-response unit was set up by Bill Clinton's top political operatives, James Carville and George Stephanopoulos, back in 1992. Viewed today, the cult-film documentary from that campaign, "The War Room," with its clunky mobile phones and fax machines, might as well be a remnant from the silent-screen era. Technology has quickened the pace and provided new weapons for hitting back. Digital video-recording devices can "capture" an image of a candidate making a speech and immediately pass it around via e-mail and the Internet. Admen can cut a response ad overnight, if not sooner.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:21 PM   #20
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler

LOL, I doubt your a catholic. Most catholics I know are decent human beings.
I've known some that aren't.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:22 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:01 AM
This is a nice article that gives a small slice of modern politics.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:25 PM   #22
New Yorker

Geez , what a thankless job... Modern politics is right...

Quote:
At Bush-Cheney headquarters, Joe Kildae, a 25-year-old campaign intern who monitored the war room (and never seemed to sleep), was watching. In his cubicle he kept three televisions and a battery of TiVos and VCRs. As soon as he saw Kerry make his remark on Fox News, he stood up in his cubicle and caught the eye of his boss, Steve Schmidt. Schmidt had seen the clip, too. The two men nodded at each other. Kildae thought to himself: "We're going to be seeing this a lot." He immediately hit pause on his digital recorder, wound the clip back and copied it to tape. Using a program called TVEyes, he pulled up an instant rough transcript. He e-mailed the transcript of Kerry's "flip-flopping" to an "alert list" of top aides, who could then click on a link to see the video.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:33 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

i REALLY do like john kerry as a human being, outside being a politician. he makes me smile, even laugh. call me dorky but i think he's cool. i think he has a great sense of humor, and how can you beat a guy who started riding motorcycles when he was 14? cheers to john as a human being.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:37 PM   #24
New Yorker

An interesting tidbit about Bush's feeling about the media (and possible insight into the CBS false document scandal?).

Quote:
Outfoxing the media establishment was a favorite occupation of the Bush White House. Press-bashing is an old Republican sport, more so in the George W. Bush era. The president disliked press conferences. He would tease individual reporters and give them nicknames, but he disdained the press as a whole. As a young campaign operative working for his father in 1988, Bush had advised his colleagues not to bother to steer reporters away from wrong stories. He preferred to let reporters hang themselves. At press conferences, he just assumed that reporters were out to get him, and sneered at correspondents' "peacocking" for the cameras.
Assumed? LOL... Helen Thomas, Dan Rather, Bob Woodward, etc...
Old 11-05-2004, 01:43 PM   #25
New Yorker

Being President ain't easy, especially with a big problem such as Iraq....

Quote:
Still, it wasn't easy for Bush to make the switch from War President to Happy Warrior in the spring of 2004. He knew that he had to get out there, to campaign in May the way presidents usually do in October. But it took time for him to relax, to find his old groove. Marc Racicot, the former governor of Montana and chief of the RNC, a close Bush friend who was titular chairman of BC04, worried that the president's heart really wasn't in this one. It wasn't just that his hair was a little grayer or that the lines around his eyes were etched a little deeper. Bush seemed more impatient, less joyful. He wasn't having much fun. Racicot worried that Bush's prickliness would show through and undermine one of his greatest election assets, his likability. He thought that Bush needed to be a little softer and more intimate, to share more. Racicot worried about the president's mood. All winter and spring, Bush had been meeting privately with the families of soldiers who had fallen in Iraq. The meetings were described to the press in the most anodyne terms, but in fact they were searing, often tearful for the president and the families alike. They did not leave Bush much wanting to go out and grin and jape and press the flesh.
But what the on this fact...

Quote:
The corridor outside his office was decorated with a NASCAR racing poster; the area was known as Pit Row. NASCAR fans were seen as a key swing vote—not so much the men, who were mostly pro-Bush, but the women (roughly 40 percent of NASCAR fans are female), who were more likely to be on the fence.
40% of NASCAR fans are female!
Old 11-05-2004, 01:57 PM   #26
New Yorker

Wow... I'm surprised Kerry didn't think Edwards could be a top choice for VP immediately. I thought he could have been. The McCain bit about being offered VP status and Secretary of State status is an amazing and weird idea... wow.

Quote:
With McCain a nonstarter, John Edwards was waiting—and maneuvering and scheming—on the sidelines. Hours after bowing out of the presidential nomination race on March 3, the senator from North Carolina had convened a small circle of his closest advisers at his house on P Street in Georgetown. He wanted the vice presidential nomination, Edwards told his aides, he wanted it badly, and from that moment on was going to wage "a full-fledged campaign" to ensure that he got it. He knew there were risks; he knew the rules, he told his aides: you had to feign indifference, act as if running for veep had never crossed your mind. Edwards had heard the rumors that Kerry found him overly aggressive and ambitious. (The rumors were true. "What makes this guy think he can be president?" Kerry had whined to his staff when Edwards refused to give up all through February.) Edwards could end up pushing Kerry away. But he was convinced that his best, only hope was to make Kerry think he had no other choice.
And geez, Theresa can't catch a break in this article... LOL... does anyone have this pic?

Quote:
The announcement, on July 6, was unusually early, timed to give the Kerry campaign a badly needed boost on the way to the convention in Boston at the end of the month. As it turned out, Kerry and Edwards got on right away, thanks to the universal male language. Both men were sports nuts (football and basketball for Edwards, windsurfing for Kerry, but jocks nonetheless). Their families were handsome and vigorous together. Only Teresa, with her unerring ability to call attention to herself, spoiled the picture. Viewing an otherwise golden-glow front-page New York Times photo, a reader's eye was drawn away from the toothy confidence of the candidates to Teresa's long arm reaching out to stop Edwards's youngest son, Jack, from sucking his thumb.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:06 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

I saw an interview with McCain on the Today show and he denies discussions with Kerry about being VP... Whatever.

Thanks for posting all these articles though. Very interesting.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:19 PM   #28
New Yorker

No prob... I think these articles breaks down some caricatures and strengthens some others. Politics can be a very dirty place but it can also be very humorous IMO. Unless you have the new Newsweek for this week of Nov. they will be putting up more pieces about the inside workings of Kerry-Bush in the coming days.

Man... I'm sure all campaigns have their inner turmoil and politics but Kerry's sounded F'ed up...
Old 11-05-2004, 02:30 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

unfortunately every campaign will always have its inner and outer circles that squabble with each other. one day i'll be a part of that.....
Old 11-05-2004, 02:39 PM   #30
New Yorker

LOL... well, I hope you don't get run down like some of those people. Even the winners have been long-suffering...

I keep thinking about how crappy campaigning can be. Geez it makes grown men like Joe Trippi breakdown and cry....