instant karma's gonna get you ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
[Q]On Sunday, Republicans appeared to be preparing to blunt the impact of any charges. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, Republican of Texas, speaking on the NBC news program "Meet the Press," compared the leak investigation with the case of Martha Stewart and her stock sale, "where they couldn't find a crime and they indict on something that she said about something that wasn't a crime."

Ms. Hutchison said she hoped "that if there is going to be an indictment that says something happened, that it is an indictment on a crime and not some perjury technicality where they couldn't indict on the crime and so they go to something just to show that their two years of investigation was not a waste of time and taxpayer dollars."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/24/politics/24leak.html

[/Q]

gosh, let me think ... when was the last time someone was, say, impeached on a perjury technicality after not commiting any sort of crime (except the crime of a blow job, which is distinctly non-procreative sex, :shame:, so therefore, to some minds, it should be a crime) just to show that Ken Star hadn't wasted time and taxpayer dollars?

Ms. Hutchison said she hoped "that if there is going to be an indictment that says something happened, that it is an indictment on a crime and not some perjury technicality where they couldn't indict on the crime and so they go to something just to show that their two years of investigation was not a waste of time and taxpayer dollars."

Just like when the GOP couldn't nail Bill Clinton on Whitewater and started asking about his sex life? If the GOP can't take it, they had better not dish it out.

Of course, the Whitewater investigation was just revenge for Watergate anyway.

Melon

[Q]When President Clinton was going through his little adventure, Sen. Hutchison said that perjury and obstruction of justice were pretty serious charges. Each, she said, "is calculated to prevent a court and the public from discovering the truth and achieving justice in our judicial system." This comes from her remarks in the Senate's closed deliberations on the articles of impeachment against President Clinton. She submitted them for the record on February 12, 1999.

Sen. Hutchison pointed out that the "Senate on numerous occasions has convicted impeached Federal Judges on allegations of perjury." She went on to say that "the standards are set by the Constitution for all officers of the Federal government. They are precisely the same, and we are obligated to apply them evenly."

"Lying is a moral wrong," Hutchison said. "Perjury is a lie told under oath that is legally wrong. To be illegal, the lie must be willfully told, must be believed to be untrue, and must relate to a material matter."
Sen. Hutchison's conclusion, therefore:

"(i) The President of the United States willfully, and with intent to deceive, gave false and misleading testimony under oath with respect to material matters that were pending before the Federal grand jury on August 17, 1998, as alleged in Article I presented to the Senate. I, therefore, vote `Guilty' on Article I of the Articles of Impeachment of the President in this Proceeding.

"(ii) The President of the United States engaged in a pattern of conduct, performed acts of willful deception, and told and disseminated massive falsehoods, including lies told directly to the American people, that were designed and corruptly calculated to impede, obstruct, and prevent the plaintiff in the Arkansas Federal sexual harassment case from seeking and obtaining justice in the Federal court system of the United States, and to further prevent the Federal grand jury from performing its functions and responsibilities under law, I, therefore, vote `Guilty' on Article II of the Articles of Impeachment of the President in this proceeding."

http://blogs.abcnews.com/downanddirty/2005/10/taking_on_a_lea_2.html#23trackback

[/Q]

[Q]
Sen. Frist: "There is no serious question that perjury and obstruction of justice are high crimes and misdemeanors...Indeed, our own Senate precedent establishes that perjury is a high crime and misdemeanor...The crimes of perjury and obstruction of justice are public crimes threatening the administration of justice." [Congressional Record, 2/12/99]

Sen. Kyl: "...there can be no doubt that perjurious, false, and misleading statements made under oath in federal court proceedings are indeed impeachable offenses...John Jay, the first Chief Justice of the United States, said `there is no crime more extensively pernicious to society' than perjury, precisely because it `discolors and poisons the streams of justice.'" [Congressional Record, 2/12/99]

Sen. DeWine: "Obstruction of justice and perjury strike at the very heart of our system of justice...Perjury is also a very serious crime...The judiciary is designed to be a mechanism for finding the truth-so that justice can be done. Perjury perverts the judiciary, turning it into a mechanism that accepts lies-so that injustice may prevail." [Congressional Record, 2/12/99]

Sen. Talent: "Nobody else in a position of trust, not a CEO, not a labor union leader, not a principal of a school could do half of what the president has done and stay in office. I mean, who would have said a year ago that a president could perjure himself and obstruct justice and tamper with witnesses... and stay in office." [CNBC, "Hardball," 12/19/98]

Sen. McConnell: "I am completely and utterly perplexed by those who argue that perjury and obstruction of justice are not high crimes and misdemeanors...Perjury and obstruction hammer away at the twin pillars of our legal system: truth and justice." [Congressional Record, 2/12/99]

Sen. Voinovich: "As constitutional scholar Charles Cooper said, `The crimes of perjury and obstruction of justice, like the crimes of treason and bribery, are quintessentially offenses against our system of government, visiting injury immediately on society itself.'" [Congressional Record, 2/12/99]

Sen. Hutchison: "The reason that I voted to remove him from office is because I think the overridding issue here is that truth will remain the standard for perjury and obstruction of justice in our criminal justice system and it must not be gray. It must not be muddy." [AP, 2/12/99]

Sen. Craig: "There is no question in my mind that perjury and obstruction of justice are the kind of public crimes that the Founders had in mind, and the House managers have demonstrated these crimes were committed by the president. As for the excuses being desperately sought by some to allow President Clinton to escape accountability, it seems to me that creating such loopholes would require tearing holes in the Constitution-something that cannot be justified to protect this president, or any president." [Congressional Record, 2/12/99]

Sen. Brownback: "Perjury and obstruction of justice are crimes against the state. Perjury goes directly against the truth-finding function of the judicial branch of government." [Congressional Record, 2/12/99]

[/Q]

and, honestly, isn't getting a blowjob more understandable to purjure yourself over than, say, outing a fucking CIA operative out of spite for her husband?

and such silence from the Right.

please, lets wait until ALL the facts are in.

no one has been convicted of anything

what happen to INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty?

some of you lefties may like "innuendo"

but the right doesn't play that way

in public

deep said:
please, lets wait until ALL the facts are in.

no one has been convicted of anything

what happen to INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty?

some of you lefties may like "innuendo"

but the right doesn't play that way

in public

I predict: (1) Dodgy terra alert Wednesday.

(2) First Fitzgerald-slurring thread here Thursday.

financeguy said:

I predict: (1) Dodgy terra alert Wednesday.

Wonkette predicts a "real, credible" threat to the Hoover Dam by Thursday -- i know we're joking, but this shit burns me, because it makes us less safe, it's the whole boy-who-cried-wolf thing, and no one's going to believe it or take precautions when there's an actual credible terror alert and not one that's been played for politics.

so far, it appears as if they've all been about politics.

but what else would you expect from the human scum who pollute 1600 Pennsylvania Ave?

(2) First Fitzgerald-slurring thread here Thursday.

the Republicans are already on the case, and they're subtle!

[Q]WASHINGTON - As the White House and Republicans brace for possible indictments in the CIA leak probe, defenders have launched a not-so-subtle campaign against the prosecutor handling the case.
"He's a vile, detestable, moralistic person with no heart and no conscience who believes he's been tapped by God to do very important things," one White House ally said, referring to special counsel Patrick Fitzgerald.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_report/story/358657p-305630c.html

[/Q]

you know what? i bet next they'll say that Fitzgerald isn't even a Christian!!!

or at least not a real Christian.

i bet George Bush doesn't even know his heart. that's how black it is.

Irvine511 said:
you know what? i bet next they'll say that Fitzgerald isn't even a Christian!!!

or at least not a real Christian.

i bet George Bush doesn't even know his heart. that's how black it is.

Or that he was always a librul in disguise and just posed as impartial. Such are the cunning ways of the demonic libruls.

But of course, as an Irish Papist, he couldn't be a Real Christian. (TM).

I cant wait til they predict a terror threat in Atlanta (we have the CDC after all). It'll make me feel all special.

I see what you're saying about the "boy who cried wolf" thing Irvine, but I honestly don't think the terror level has ever been anything but a political device. If there were to be a real plot, theres not much chance raising it to "orange" will stop much.

on the topic of evil papists, according to my poly sci teacher, the Kennedy family got rich through smuggling whiskey into the country during Prohibition. maybe that's common knowledge but i'd never heard that. that's definitely cooler than getting rich off oil, in my opinion.

With our borders and ports unguarded, a real event is overdue. Then it's back to wielding the fear factor.

Speaking of lies and the lying liars who tell them...[the following from markarkleiman.com]:

"[AP news report snippet]: Cheney has said little in public about what he knew. In September 2003, he told NBC he did not know Wilson or who sent him on a trip to Niger in 2002 to check into a intelligence — later deemed unreliable — that Iraq may have been seeking to buy uranium there.

"I don't know who sent Joe Wilson. He never submitted a report that I ever saw when he came back," Cheney said at the time. "... I don't know Mr. Wilson. I probably shouldn't judge him. I have no idea who hired him."

[Blogger comment] But the Times reports that, before Wilson's op-ed, Cheney was asking Tenet for information about him. I wonder whether Cheney told the same story to Patrick Fizgerald's investigators in June of 2004 he told NBC the previous September.

Se7en said:
I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I???

they're mass murderers who got away with it by scaring the shit out of the american public who were traumatized by the murder of 3,000 innocents? in addition, they've exploited this to further a radical destruction of government -- through tax cuts and simple incompetence -- while simultaneously increasing spending in order to create a social right wing nanny state where the church is telling you, though the government, what you can and cannot do with your lives.

just saying is all ...

^ Irvine511, please don't mention the elephant in the room, it disturbs the cosy 'consensus' that we're seeking to build. You libruls are so hateful. Stop prejudging things and engaging in speculation, don't you see that the terrorists love that kind of talk?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom