insecure men more likely to support Iraq War - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2005, 06:36 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511


i do think it's entirley plausible that there are different notions of masculinity between urban and rural America.
it takes a real man to love his sister as his neighbor
__________________

__________________
deep is offline  
Old 08-09-2005, 06:41 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


Well that ignores what I said, but oh well. The fact that you mentioned Hitler's was only "on some level" makes me believe you're not quite grasping this. I think Hitler, Napolean, most dictators etc are 95% insecurities starting from childhood.
There are things about Hitler's youth which support the insecurity theory, but at the same time, his success as a rising leader and his behavior as a leader would often show unusual levels of self confidence and arrogance that people who are insecure do not have. The same is true for Napolean.
__________________

__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 08-09-2005, 06:46 PM   #48
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2


his success as a rising leader and his behavior as a leader would often show unusual levels of self confidence and arrogance that people who are insecure do not have. The same is true for Napolean.
This is a common misconception, many experts will tell you that certain insecurities will heighten other attributes and create succesful power hungry individuals. It's compensation.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 08-09-2005, 06:50 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 02:55 PM
This is almost as good as the "conservatism is a mental illness" thread.
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 08-09-2005, 06:54 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


This is a common misconception, many experts will tell you that certain insecurities will heighten other attributes and create succesful power hungry individuals. It's compensation.
So highly self confident people are simply insecure people who have compensated for their insecurities? I can see how arrogance sometimes might be a form of compensation for insecurity but not raw self confidence which is what many of these dictators have displayed.
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 08-09-2005, 06:54 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2


There are things about Hitler's youth which support the insecurity theory,
There are things about The Young Republicans or YAFers which support the insecurity theory
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 08-09-2005, 07:00 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep


There are things about The Young Republicans or YAFers which support the insecurity theory
Is it the small willie theory?
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 08-09-2005, 07:01 PM   #53
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2


So highly self confident people are simply insecure people who have compensated for their insecurities? I can see how arrogance sometimes might be a form of compensation for insecurity but not raw self confidence which is what many of these dictators have displayed.
Did you read the original post? It's not insecurity in oneself. It's being insecure about their masculinity, two entirely different things. One can be extremely intelligent, very confident in their occupation etc but aren't secure about their masculinity, and they will compensate for that.

They call it a Napoleon complex for a reason.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 08-09-2005, 07:05 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,876
Local Time: 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


Did you read the original post? It's not insecurity in oneself. It's being insecure about their masculinity, two entirely different things. One can be extremely intelligent, very confident in their occupation etc but aren't secure about their masculinity, and they will compensate for that.

They call it a Napoleon complex for a reason.
In that case, this theory is even weaker than I thought.
__________________
STING2 is offline  
Old 08-09-2005, 07:07 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,269
Local Time: 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox


So you want me to Free Willy....






























. That was good, Dread.

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now  
Old 08-09-2005, 07:11 PM   #56
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2


In that case, this theory is even weaker than I thought.
I'm pretty sure if this article didn't mention Iraq you wouldn't even be spending so much time debating it.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 04:51 AM   #57
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 11:55 PM
I think it might be interesting to hear how men define masculinity
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 06:14 AM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,492
Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2


So highly self confident people are simply insecure people who have compensated for their insecurities? I can see how arrogance sometimes might be a form of compensation for insecurity but not raw self confidence which is what many of these dictators have displayed.


didn't Hitler only have one testicle?
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 06:17 AM   #59
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,492
Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader


What is lighthearted about sweeping generalizations?


not totally sure, but what's turning this thread from lighthearted to funny is some people's total inability to see just how silly they look when constantly looking to be offended and taking seriously links between a simple Cornell psychology study and the formulation of American policy.

besides, we're all missing the issue.

it's not threatened masculinity that led Bush to wave his silly willy at the world in a flightsuit and declare "Mission Accomplished;" but it IS threatened masculinity if you thought that was really cool and awesome.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-10-2005, 01:31 PM   #60
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,492
Local Time: 11:55 PM
interestingly, we have a soldier who appears to agree with the study ...



"I don't want anything to do with [Bush]," [Terry Rogers]] explains. "My belief is that his ego is getting people killed and mutilated for no reason -- just his ego and his reputation. If we really wanted to, we could pull out of Iraq. Maybe not completely but enough that we wouldn't be losing people -- at least not at this rate. So I think he himself is responsible for quite a few American deaths.… Rodgers says he also declined to meet Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld and Condoleezza Rice. This wounded soldier has lost faith in his leaders, and he no longer believes their repeated assurances of victory."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...901441_pf.html
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com