insecure men more likely to support Iraq War - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2005, 02:22 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

A straight male psychotherapist told me over dinner one night (at a work dinner) that in his years of psychotherapy he had learned two things about men and women: "women are a little crazy, and men are a little stupid." I think it was the word "little" that softened the blow, lol.

i do think it's true.

women think they should want something that they don't want; and men don't know that they want what they want.

Old 08-09-2005, 02:28 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:03 PM
Quote:
insecure men more likely to support Iraq War
I would even go a step forward and say that most war and violence began with men being insecure with their masculinity.

Old 08-09-2005, 02:40 PM   #18
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:03 PM
For folks interested in exploring this connection--it's actually been quite well doumented (the link between partriarchy and war). Anyone else read [i[Violence[/i] by Dr. James Gilligan?
Old 08-09-2005, 03:15 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:03 PM
While it may be true on an individual level, that violence is often committed by insecure individuals, this has nothing remotely to do with the making of US Foreign Policy or one's political views.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:32 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
While it may be true on an individual level, that violence is often committed by insecure individuals, this has nothing remotely to do with the making of US Foreign Policy or one's political views.

Georgie wasn't trying to impress Poppy?
Old 08-09-2005, 03:34 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:03 PM
Quote:
this has nothing remotely to do with the making of US Foreign Policy or one's political views.
I don't think anyone can say it has "nothing remotely to do". You admit it may be true on the individual level. Then how does a collective of individuals negate that? You have a large collection of domino effects created of many individuals who are affected by this.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:43 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Hey, that's exactly how we men have learned to respond to women, except that we always wind up doing everything their way.
Quite smart of you.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:51 PM   #23
War Child

Bush's flight suit appearance on the aircraft carrier = macho posturing. He may as well have worn a codpiece.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:02 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint

Quite smart of you.
Keeps me alive sometimes...
Old 08-09-2005, 04:26 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:03 PM
Quote:
So is it just that it has nothing to do specifically with US foreign policy, or do all countries enjoy this remarkable ability to entirely separate personal insecurites of their leaders and/or elements of their populaces from the making of their foreign policies? Or is it just the countries that meet with your specific approval?

As a matter of interest, would you agree that Adolf Hitler was an insecure individual, and if so, would you agree that this factor sometimes influenced his political decisions/views? Or not?
Old 08-09-2005, 05:14 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

So is it just that it has nothing to do specifically with US foreign policy, or do all countries enjoy this remarkable ability to entirely separate personal insecurites of their leaders and/or elements of their populaces from the making of their foreign policies? Or is it just the countries that meet with your specific approval?

As a matter of interest, would you agree that Adolf Hitler was an insecure individual, and if so, would you agree that this factor sometimes influenced his political decisions/views? Or not?
It has nothing to do specifically with US foreign policy, because there are simply to many factors that go into formulating policy in the United States to allow a single individuals insecurities to effect things.

I would agree that on some levels Hitler was insecure and this may have impacted some of his decisions. In a dictatorship, the policy making process almost always starts with the dictator and ends with the dictator. At the same time Hitler often displayed an unusual level of self confidence and many would argue that this is why Germany lost the war. Had Hitler had a little more anxiety and doubt towards his battle plans that sometimes conflicted with his Generals idea's, he may have listened to them more.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:16 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I don't think anyone can say it has "nothing remotely to do". You admit it may be true on the individual level. Then how does a collective of individuals negate that? You have a large collection of domino effects created of many individuals who are affected by this.
There are simply to many factors that go into formulating foreign policy in the United States to allow a single individuals insecurities to effect things.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:21 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

Georgie wasn't trying to impress Poppy?
Georgie is a President not a King. There are to many factors that go in to making US foreign policy to allow a single individuals insecurities to effect things on that level.

Georgie took up the Iraq policy where Clinton had left off.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:24 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:03 AM
Could this fall into the same line of political thought where you use a study to belittle your political opponent?

Before the election, we saw "studies" that suggested Democrats were better educated, etc. than their Republican counterparts.

So, we get a cute "study" to say "real men" do not support the war.

Perfect for FYM
Old 08-09-2005, 05:30 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:03 PM
Quote:
Georgie is a President not a King.
Isn't it just a doggone remarkable coincidence that Bush sr's son also became the leader of the free world?

Just imagine it, a man becomes US President. Then 12 years later, his son emerges as the best and seemingly most qualified candidate.

It would be like Michelangelo having a son - who, as though by a miracle, ALSO became a world renowned artist!

Imagine if Bono's son grew up to also be a lead singer in the biggest rock band in the world. Wouldn't that be really implausible?

As I said, remarkable.

Did anyone mention 'monarchy'?