Ingesting one's placenta, acceptable or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is this acceptable?

• Yes, I'm a woman who is a mom and think it is

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Yes, I'm a woman with no kids and think it is

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • No, I'm a woman with kids and say no.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • No, I'm a woman with no kids

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • I'm male and say no.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • I'm male and say yes, and let them have cake too.

Votes: 12 22.6%

• Total voters
maycocksean said:
Diamond.

Surely you can't be serious.

Look, man, we ALL agree that it's gross! No one's arguing that point, but you're making a very clear statement that this is morally wrong (as evidence by your comaprisons to heroin use, autofellatio, and now pedophilia).

I just want to know, based on WHAT?

I think sin dresses herself in many ways:
Self absorption, pleasing oneself through addictions or other earthbound tendencies that are unholy in the sight of God, and those addictions or earthbound proclivities would be:

illegal drug use
carnal lust whether it be homosexual, illicit heterosexual lusts, bestiality or pedophilia
consumption of human body parts that are not proven to be *conclusively* medically beneficial, only psychosomatic at best.

All of these are about earth bound tendencies and not spiritually driven tendencies; these tendencies listed are all about pleasing one's self and not glorifying the person who created us.

This is my view and I stand by it, knowing many may disagree here, but I feel my conscience is void of offense to God and I would rather be found favorable in the eyes of God, than popular opinion on a message board.

Best,

dbs

Oh, so now science suddenly matters. Suddenly you CAN pull that card out. Because science hasn't proven that it's medically beneficial, it's immoral.

But when science explains that people are born homosexual, and it is not a choice, then science CANNOT be pulled out.

Give me a break. The contradictions are unbelievable.

Wrong. Science does not know which specific genes cause homosexuality.

But they know that it's not a choice. It is biological.

phillyfan26 said:
Wrong. Science does not know which specific genes cause homosexuality.

But they know that it's not a choice. It is biological.

Some think it's biological but not all.

Not all scientists believe this conclusively despite a concerted effort to market it as such.

dbs

diamond said:

consumption of human body parts that are not proven to be *conclusively* medically beneficial, only psychosomatic at best.

What's the basis for deciding this is part of an "earthbound mentality" (excluding any consumption that involves either physically harming the person i.e. cannibalism or that poses a legitimate health risk i.e. eating your own crap)? We're talking boogers and placents here. What's your basis for making this a moral stand, beyond a general kind "if it's gross, it must be wrong" which I concede has it's own kind of surface logic (a logic that disintegrates quickly on close examination however)?

diamond said:

Not all scientists believe this conclusively despite a concerted effort to market it as such.

dbs

Oh, I forgot that it's black-and-white with you.

So, you think Irvine lies to you when he tells you that it's not a choice?

maycocksean said:

What's the basis for deciding this is part of an "earthbound mentality" (excluding any consumption that involves either physically harming the person i.e. cannibalism or that poses a legitimate health risk i.e. eating your own crap)? We're talking boogers and placents here. What's your basis for making this a moral stand, beyond a general kind "if it's gross, it must be wrong" which I concede has it's own kind of surface logic (a logic that disintegrates quickly on close examination however)?

1 Cor 6 19-20

19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

phillyfan26 said:

Oh, I forgot that it's black-and-white with you.

So, you think Irvine lies to you when he tells you that it's not a choice?

Irvine and Melon have their opinions and I have mine.

dbs

diamond said:

Sure and I do not accept Melon's interpretation.

dbs

I can honestly say I've never seen a counter-argument to his interpretation other than, "I'm sticking to my interpretation," which doesn't address his. Have you found something incorrect with his?

diamond said:

1 Cor 6 19-20

19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Matthew 15:10, 15-16

10Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen and understand. 11What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' " . . . .

15Peter said, "Explain the parable to us."

16"Are you still so dull?" Jesus asked them. 17"Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? 18But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.' 19For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. 20These are what make a man 'unclean'; but eating with unwashed hands does not make him 'unclean.' "

It seems reasonable to concludeboogers and placenta would falling to the category of "unwashed hands." And eating without washing your hands is pretty gross too!

Gosh the Bible is rife with subjects for interpretation and each individual has his or her own belief about the meaning of each and every verse. I personally am on the fence about religion, mostly Christianity, but I can definitely respect someone who holds true beliefs in his/her heart. I only have a problem when it comes to trying to persecute someone else's beliefs (not that it's the case here...just saying in general.)

As for eating one's placenta, religion or not, I say if it floats your boat, go for it. I am not sure what I would do, but I cannot speak for someone who genuinely believes it would be a beneficial act. It's almost like symbolically, certain things have better healing powers than anything. Whether the placenta is to heal or not is irrelevant. It's the fact that it comes from a woman's own body and it is in fact part of her own body.

I understand the 'gross' factor, although it personally doesn't gross me out, because I do not see life and the remnants of childbirth and life as anything disgusting. But certain people don't understand the beauty and sacrifice of carrying a child for 9 months, creating a tiny world within a woman, complete with everything needed for a human life to sustain itself, and then the pain and beauty of giving that child life. It's an absolutely humbling thought. And even though I have never gone through it, I have nothing but awe for childbirth.

Last edited:
Sloane Peterson said:

But certain people don't understand the beauty and sacrifice of carrying a child for 9 months, creating a tiny world within a woman, complete with everything needed for a human life to sustain itself, and then the pain and beauty of giving that child life. It's an absolutely humbling thought. And even though I have never gone through it, I have nothing but awe for childbirth.

That's why you have that La-la- ideal of pregnancy and childbirth....you have not gone through it.....come back and post here PLEASE! when you have given birth and tell me again all the stuff you just said here and then i want you to go eat your placenta! Or Swallow the pill...if you dare....I mean shit....has anyone actually thought that the idea of maybe ingesting somebody else's placenta nutrients also wants to make you heave, I'm curious to know how this pill thing would work, i dunno....can the chemist guarantee that it is your placenta and not some "Roadkill" from a highway!

Personally i think there would be legal repercussions.....I mean this might be opening Pandora's Box.......the child when he/she becomes of legal age may sue for the right of eating the placenta/pill that her mother denied her.......is it the childs or the mother's....technically who OWNS the placenta!

:wink:

diamond said:

but I feel my conscience is void of offense to God and I would rather be found favorable in the eyes of God, than popular opinion on a message board.

I find your conscience often in offense to God and his children.

fly so high! said:

That's why you have that La-la- ideal of pregnancy and childbirth....you have not gone through it.....come back and post here PLEASE! when you have given birth and tell me again all the stuff you just said here and then i want you to go eat your placenta! Or Swallow the pill...if you dare....I mean shit....has anyone actually thought that the idea of maybe ingesting somebody else's placenta nutrients also wants to make you heave, I'm curious to know how this pill thing would work, i dunno....can the chemist guarantee that it is your placenta and not some "Roadkill" from a highway!

Personally i think there would be legal repercussions.....I mean this might be opening Pandora's Box.......the child when he/she becomes of legal age may sue for the right of eating the placenta/pill that her mother denied her.......is it the childs or the mother's....technically who OWNS the placenta!

:wink:

Well, that's my opinion and I might not have the right to say anything since i have not had a child, but it's not more stupid that a man trying to say ANYTHING about childbirth ... especially since my sentiments are of love and beauty. By the way, I may me optimistic, but I am not naive. I get this all the time from my dad, but my opinions are not going to change because of horror stories or bitchy people telling me that I am too young or not experienced enough to understand. Trying to scare me away from having a baby ? No problem. I am not even sure I want kids in the first place .

i still don't see what the abomination is. diamond what i see is that you're using quotes from the bible to justify how icky it is. but there is no abomination here. the human body is quite fascinating. we have our own natural defensive mechanisms, there's still so much to learn about it. i believe that we can help our bodies help itself naturally and hollistically.

this isn't waste, like poo or piss or snot or anything. this is an organ that is created for the purpose of providing nutrients. it is more natural perhaps than many of the the OTC drugs you get at the store.

obviously you believe that organ develops during child development for a reason? God intended for that organ to grow and provide sustaining nutrients. If it is cool for the baby to "eat" from it, then why not the mother?

instead of relating it to all this crap that is in no way relevant, why can you not relate it to the milk that a mother produces? it also provides necessary nutrients. you don't see that as waste, do you? if a mother drinks her own breastmilk is that an abomination?

imagine a mother swallowing a placenta pill down with a class of fresh just pumped milk.

Last edited:
diamond said:

Who said it was an abomination?

Well, on what grounds are you describing its "acceptability."

I assumed legally, and you inferred legality in your heroin comparison. But you backed off that, so what is it then?

diamond said:

dbs
Everything about human beings is biological.

A_Wanderer said:
Everything about human beings is biological.

Is that so?
Are we ruling out psychology or spirituality found in human beings my fine atheist friend?

best,

dbs

diamond said:

Is that so?
Are we ruling out psychology or spirituality found in human beings my fine atheist friend?

best,

dbs
Products of the human mind which is a material entity, and in relation to homosexuality, heterosexuality and everything in between it dominates. A sex drive is a very important element for a mammalian species and it is ludicrous to remove the human one from that of other animals, or to accept that heterosexual behaviour is natural, normal and biologically based but homosexual behaviour is deviant and a matter of choice.

And as far as paedophiles go - since they are obviously so connected and relevant
Brain pathology in pedophilic offenders: evidence of volume reduction in the right amygdala and related diencephalic structures.
Kolja Schiltz, Joachim Witzel, Georg Northoff, Kathrin Zierhut, Udo Gubka, Hermann Fellmann, Jörn Kaufmann, Claus Tempelmann, Christine Wiebking, Bernhard Bogerts

CONTEXT: Pedophilic crime causes considerable public concern, but no causative factor of pedophilia has yet been pinpointed. In the past, etiological theories postulated a major impact of the environment, but recent studies increasingly emphasize the role of neurobiological factors, as well. However, the role of alterations in brain structures that are crucial in the development of sexual behavior has not yet been systematically studied in pedophilic subjects. OBJECTIVE: To examine whether pedophilic perpetrators show structural neuronal deficits in brain regions that are critical for sexual behavior and how these deficits relate to criminological characteristics. DESIGN: Amygdalar volume and gray matter of related structures that are critical for sexual development were compared in 15 nonviolent male pedophilic perpetrators (forensic inpatients) and 15 controls using complementary morphometric analyses (voxel-based morphometry and volumetry). Psychosocial adjustment and sexual offenses were also assessed. RESULTS: Pedophilic perpetrators showed a significant decrease of right amygdalar volume, compared with healthy controls (P = .001). We observed reduced gray matter in the right amygdala, hypothalamus (bilaterally), septal regions, substantia innominata, and bed nucleus of the striae terminalis. In 8 of the 15 perpetrators, enlargement of the anterior temporal horn of the right lateral ventricle that adjoins the amygdala could be recognized by routine qualitative clinical assessment. Smaller right amygdalar volumes were correlated with the propensity to commit uniform pedophilic sexual offenses exclusively (P = .006) but not with age (P = .89). CONCLUSIONS: Pedophilic perpetrators show structural impairments of brain regions critical for sexual development. These impairments are not related to age, and their extent predicts how focused the scope of sexual offenses is on uniform pedophilic activity. Subtle defects of the right amygdala and closely related structures might be implicated in the pathogenesis of pedophilia and might possibly reflect developmental disturbances or environmental insults at critical periods
Peeling back the nature of the human brain doesn't diminish the importance of the great things it may produce, but it certainly can yield insights into human behaviour more useful than supposedly revealed truth. And if a biological explanation for instances of paedophilia makes individuals out to be victims for their behavior understand that one day being able to identify individuals at high risk and possibly avoid it's concequences through intervention would be more effective than imploring people to fight it with sheer strength of will (the Catholic Church is an institution that could benefit from a different approach to such behaviour).

Last edited:
how convenient,
so we blame everything on nature, differrent shades of gray in our brain matter, and we're powerless to master our sexual drives like animals, and/or were all victims of circumstance or environment or whatever.

i'm not convinced, sorry no sale.
i will take God's word over man's developing theories.

best,

dbs

Back
Top Bottom