Ingesting one's placenta, acceptable or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is this acceptable?

• Yes, I'm a woman who is a mom and think it is

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Yes, I'm a woman with no kids and think it is

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • No, I'm a woman with kids and say no.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • No, I'm a woman with no kids

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • I'm male and say no.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • I'm male and say yes, and let them have cake too.

Votes: 12 22.6%

• Total voters
The placenta is a waste product after birth, and is only present for the duration of the pregnancy...it is certainly not equivalent to eating an actual body part...rabbits will eat their own droppings to gain extra nutrition...most placental animals will eat the placenta after birth...including herbivores...it is certainly not an 'unnatural' thing to do...no matter any personal distaste over it.

I remember watching the River Cottage (a cookery programme here focusing on growing everything organic and making everything yourself) where the cook made placenta kebabs and other dishes for a child's coming home party from hospital. I think he made it quite tasty by watching people's reactions...I would imagine it would be a bit like black pudding:hmm:

diamond said:
What I do find interesting is the women who have had children, only 3 think this is acceptable in the poll.
dbs

My guess is that it means women with children already deal with enough juvenile behaviour and hence didn't open the thread. :wink:

diamond said:
What I do find interesting is the women who have had children, only 3 think this is acceptable in the poll.

Yes, I'm a woman who is a mom and think it is (3) 8.82%

dbs

make that 4

LJT said:
I remember watching the River Cottage (a cookery programme here focusing on growing everything organic and making everything yourself) where the cook made placenta kebabs and other dishes for a child's coming home party from hospital. I think he made it quite tasty by watching people's reactions...I would imagine it would be a bit like black pudding:hmm:

I remember that too -it reminded me of liver which would put me off anyway.

When I had my kids, eating my placenta was the last thing on my mind but I don't see anything wrong in others choosing to do so if they wanted -whatever rocks your boat.

I've a friend who's a midwife and delivered hundreds of babies. She's been asked a couple of times if the placenta can be taken home which there's no problem in arranging but apparently at least one time the couple had second thoughts and never got round to eating it. Some placentas apparently can be quite grey and smelly when they're delivered - like meat gone past their best before date (more so if the mum smoked during pregnancy) which would be even more offputting.

unico said:
oooh interesting point! i was actually saying mcdonald's because if you're eating a burger from there, you're eating bits of human anyway.

Why am I not surprised by this? :lmao:

Most disgusting thread of all time = http://forum.interference.com/t150310.html

And, as disgusting as the prospect of eating a body part (though it really isn't at all like that) is to me, I honestly see nothing wrong with it. :huh: The English have worse sounding food than this, I suppose. :wink:

All I'm going to say on this is:

Diamond, darling, coaching two live (as opposed to dead, I suppose) births does not an expert make. Frankly, I'd take advice from a woman who's /had/ a child.

But, well...that's just me.

Placenta, anyone?:)

I voted: I'm a Mum and I say it is Not Acceptable.....only because the poll was missing NOT NECESSARY TO EAT ONE"S PLACENTA, DRINK A CUP OF TEA IF YOU WOULD LIKE SOME ANTI-OXIDANTS!

Last edited:
Why is it not acceptable for another woman to eat her placenta. Why would you prefer to deny her this right?

^I am not denying anyone of ingesting anything that their body produces (except for babies!) i'm just stating it's not necessary! I have no problem with anyone wanting to eat the membrane that kept her baby inside of her for 9 months, whatever floats your boat, i say!......I'm just saying it's not acceptable to ME as it is not necessary. I mean what's next .........sucking on a gallbladder stone as it is high in calcium :shrug:

Last edited:
fly so high! said:
^I am not denying anyone of ingesting anything that their body produces (except for babies!) i'm just stating it's not necessary! I have no problem with anyone wanting to eat the membrane that kept her baby inside of her for 9 months, whatever floats your boat, i say!......I'm just saying it's not acceptable to ME as it is not necessary. I mean what's next .........sucking on a gallbladder stone as it is high in calcium :shrug:

Uh, then you voted wrong. The question is whether it is acceptable for someone who wants to do it.

phillyfan26 said:

Uh, then you voted wrong. The question is whether it is acceptable for someone who wants to do it.

Oh shit......i did too!

Can someone please vote the: which bloody one is it again?
It does'nt matter anyway 'cause my option was not there and the whole thing is just dumb!

UberBeaver said:
Umm....ingesting a placenta is wrong on pretty much every level. There is no reason in nature for this. It seems to me like a psychological disorder.

kaching, i agree.

dbs

UberBeaver said:
Umm....ingesting a placenta is wrong on pretty much every level. There is no reason in nature for this. It seems to me like a psychological disorder.

Why? It's gross, yes (my stomach tends to turn a little bit every time I open this thread). So is eating your own boogers. Is that also wrong on every level?

maycocksean said:

Why? It's gross, yes (my stomach tends to turn a little bit every time I open this thread). So is eating your own boogers. Is that also wrong on every level?

Yep. No reason to do that either.

it is strongly believed that the organ created by the woman's body to pass nutrients between mother and fetus and is expelled after birth is rich in chemicals that can help mitigate fluctuations in hormones believed to cause postpartum depression.

We have a mulit-billion dollar pharmecutical industry in this country. Can't one of them make a pill that does this? I bet broccoli has all those nutrients too. Broccoli is awesome. Broccoli > Placentas.

Last edited:
UberBeaver said:

Then by all means, don't eat placenta.

Just don't tell someone else not to.

It seems to me like a psychological disorder when someone wants to control what a woman does with her body and its parts.

UberBeaver said:

We have a mulit-billion dollar pharmecutical industry in this country. Can't one of them make a pill that does this?

they did! the placenta pills. hence this thread. diamond's attached image of the actual placenta is misleading. the woman took capsules. why is that so disgusting?

It seems to me like a psychological disorder when someone wants to control what a woman does with her body and its parts.

i don't think it's acceptable for someone to shoot up herion or for a man to fellatio himself, would you attempt to label that as controling too?

if you do, i would say that we have a different value system is all, and most people in my country would agree w me, but not most ppl in this thread, and that's ok-although a bit troubling in the larger scheme of things.

dbs

Last edited:
joyfulgirl said:

Then by all means, don't eat placenta.

Just don't tell someone else not to.

Yeah, I'm one of those "pro-choice anti-placenta" whackos. I make no sense. I know.

I tried Haggis for the first time a couple of weeks ago. That was a brave step for me - maybe placenta isn't too far behind? Wonders never cease. Right?

diamond said:

i don't think it's acceptable for someone to shoot up herion or for a man to fellatio himself, would you attempt to label that as controling too?

if you do, i would say that we have a different value system is all, and most people in my country would agree w me, but not most ppl in this thread, and that's ok-although a bit troubling in the larger scheme of things.

dbs

You have never been very good at comparisons.
In contrast to heroin or fellatio eating the placenta isn't harmful to the person. To the contrary, it helps the person.
There is no need to take control over everything just because we don't agree with something. And I think most people in your country will agree.

UberBeaver said:

Yeah, I'm one of those "pro-choice anti-placenta" whackos. I make no sense. I know.

I tried Haggis for the first time a couple of weeks ago. That was a brave step for me - maybe placenta isn't too far behind? Wonders never cease. Right?

I've had vegetarian haggis! i think they threw some stuff together so it had the same texture/taste as the real stuff without the obvious ick factor of the organs used. it was pretty good! my dog seemed to prefer the original haggis though.

and Enter the Haggis rocks my world :rockon:

Originally posted by diamond

dbs

Absolutely ridiculous non-analogy.

But, if a man can and wants to perform fellatio on himself, why the f**ck should I care??

Back
Top Bottom