Ingesting one's placenta, acceptable or not? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Is this acceptable?
Yes, I'm a woman who is a mom and think it is 6 11.32%
Yes, I'm a woman with no kids and think it is 17 32.08%
No, I'm a woman with kids and say no. 2 3.77%
No, I'm a woman with no kids 7 13.21%
I'm male and say no. 9 16.98%
I'm male and say yes, and let them have cake too. 12 22.64%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2007, 04:11 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:18 AM
There are already hair and skin products that contain placental extracts.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:19 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico

REALLY??? I heard about rubbing it on your face. I didn't know about ingesting.
Urophagia, it's called.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urophagia

Drink up!

Old 07-19-2007, 04:20 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:18 PM
Speaking of cake (the last option), the German term for that is Mutterkuchen (mother's cake).

Well, they should do what they want. I couldn't eat that, honestly.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:23 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

Urophagia, it's called.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urophagia

Drink up!
O_o

let's have a toast to good health!
Old 07-19-2007, 04:25 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:18 PM
Placenta Lasagne.

It's weird and off putting, but unless it posed a risk then I don't see why it should be illegal. And if she wanted to eat the placenta she should have checked with hospital in advance and made her decision of where to go based on that factor.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:42 PM   #21
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I really don't think anything that is excreted from your body should go back in.

It's a one-way trip.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:03 PM   #22
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Don't tell me you've never picked your nose.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:14 PM   #23
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

...but I don't eat it afterward.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:16 PM   #24
Forum Moderator

I can't believe no one's brought up semen "consumption" yet...

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 07-19-2007, 08:56 PM   #25
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
...but I don't eat it afterward.
Liar.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:02 PM   #26
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

Liar.

You discovered my Zoo Confessional secret.

But really, semen consumption?
Old 07-19-2007, 09:03 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:18 AM
women have been doing this forever. If they want to, who cares? They're not going to make you eat it.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:05 PM   #28
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by unico
i think she compared mcdonald's to bk & wendy's...and something else....and it had the worst quality of them. she said the grade of beef has something to do with what parts are used. mcd's has quality E beef, fyi. at least it did back then. who knows, they may have changed things now. i heard they have since changed their chicken nuggets...so maybe they are up to D now
There's no such thing as "quality E" or "D" meat; that is an urban myth.
Quote:
she was the one who opened me up to the world of the meat packing industry...which i would think is probably one of the more dangerous jobs out there. the workers are treated like crap and have to work in awful conditions, which make them prone to many accidents. it isn't that any beef industry intentionally adds human flesh to their product. it's that a number of accidents result in these conditions. i.e. performing the same swiping motion as fast as you can more than 10,000 times a day with a large weapon. thus human blood is spilled, fingers/limbs are lost, etc. and they get mixed in with the beef.
It is true that the meatpacking industry--as well as the baked goods and cheese processing industries--are in OSHA's "Top 40" industries in terms of number of amputations (though sugar processing and butter production "lead" the food manufacturing sector in overall injury rates). And actually, even the fruit-&-vegetable-preserving/manufacturing sector, though only about a third the size of the meatpacking industry and two-thirds the size of the baked goods industry, still averages about 90 amputations per year, compared to meatpacking's 120 and baked goods' 110 (per 2005 Bureau of Labor Stats figures). So, I wouldn't necessarily feel confident assuming there aren't ever "portions" of someone in my canned veggie chili or pita bread, either. I'm a little skeptical as to the alleged inevitability of someone's mangled digits tumbling freely into the cheese, pasta dough or sausage meat, though--I would really want to see data on that (well, I wouldn't really, but you know what I mean). Certainly most of these over-the-top grossout stories you see in the papers from time to time (like the woman who "randomly" found a finger in her Wendy's chili last year, and is now serving a prison sentence for staging it) turn out to be total hoaxes.

I don't question that the meatpacking industry would be an awful one to work in for most people, and I never eat beef myself. But unfortunately the reality is that mass-scale food processing industries, period, are a lot grosser and a lot less worker-friendly than we'd like to think.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 07-19-2007, 09:20 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

While certainly distastesful, I'm not sure there is any legal, or really even moral argument against consuming something that comes from your own body.

Granted it's gross as all hell (to me anyway) but still. . .

My guess is the hospital wanted to make it crystal clear that they did not in any way willingly go along with this, in case the woman "got sick" or whatver and wanted to sue.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:26 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

There's no such thing as "quality E" or "D" meat; that is an urban myth.

It is true that the meatpacking industry--as well as the baked goods and cheese processing industries--are in OSHA's "Top 40" industries in terms of number of amputations (though sugar processing and butter production "lead" the food manufacturing sector in overall injury rates). And actually, even the fruit-&-vegetable-preserving/manufacturing sector, though only about a third the size of the meatpacking industry and two-thirds the size of the baked goods industry, still averages about 90 amputations per year, compared to meatpacking's 120 and baked goods' 110 (per 2005 Bureau of Labor Stats figures). So, I wouldn't necessarily feel confident assuming there aren't ever "portions" of someone in my canned veggie chili or pita bread, either. I'm a little skeptical as to the alleged inevitability of someone's mangled digits tumbling freely into the cheese, pasta dough or sausage meat, though--I would really want to see data on that. Certainly most of these over-the-top grossout stories you see in the papers from time to time (like the woman who "randomly" found a finger in her Wendy's chili last year, and is now serving a prison sentence for staging it) turn out to be total hoxes.

I don't question that the meatpacking industry would be an awful one to work in for most people, and I never eat beef myself. But unfortunately the reality is that mass-scale food processing industries, period, are a lot grosser and a lot less worker-friendly than we'd like to think.

okay...now i feel like i'm going crazy. i am CERTAIN i saw a low letter grade on the boxes of beef i had to fetch from the freezer. i don't know if i still know the people that work there, but i'll see if i can find out. i'm not crazy i'm not crazy i'm not crazy.

as for the other stuff: i'll see what data i can find on the human flesh getting mixed in with the foods. i wish i knew where that student was! she had all the info. i didn't realize the other processed foods had nearly as many amputations. it makes me want to grow my own food from now on. or better yet, eat my own placenta. at least i know it's mine.

side note: in college i found a finger nail in my ice cream
remember the woman who found the fried chicken head @ mcdonald's? that was my aunt