Ingesting one's placenta, acceptable or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is this acceptable?

• Yes, I'm a woman who is a mom and think it is

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Yes, I'm a woman with no kids and think it is

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • No, I'm a woman with kids and say no.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • No, I'm a woman with no kids

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • I'm male and say no.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • I'm male and say yes, and let them have cake too.

Votes: 12 22.6%

• Total voters
diamond said:
how convenient,
so we blame everything on nature, differrent shades of gray in our brain matter, and we're powerless to master our sexual drives like animals, and/or were all victims of circumstance or environment or whatever.

i'm not convinced, sorry no sale.
i will take God's word over man's developing theories.

best,

dbs
Because the evidence doesn't support the religious notion of complete choice over sin you will reject it, and this is why neuroscience is going to murder literalistic faith - although to be fair geology and the theory of evolution have been doing it since the 19th century.

Is it coincidence that most men have no sexual attraction to children? Is it reasonable to find an explanation why that is? And if the answer doesn't conform to choice then can you accept it?

We (probably) have freedom over our actions, just because somebody has a sexual attraction to children doesn't excuse or diminish the terrible crime of sexually abusing a child.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
So could we blame it all on God?

some have tried i suppose, only adding to their aggravation, while others having attempted to assauge their misery finding no success and then jumping onto the anti-God band wagon or victim band wagon mentality.

My thought is God wouldn't give us any burden that we couldn't master if we sought his help through humility and being humble.

dbs

diamond said:

but "God's word" is a matter of faith and wildly relative, culturally-influenced interpretation of a text that's been translated into English from another language.

sure, science is hard, but at least it's tangible, measurable, and real to everyone, not just to believers.

i know it's more comfortable to to believe in God's word when faced with information that might challenge our worldviews, and you might miss it like a child misses their blanket.

diamond said:

some have tried i suppose, only adding to their aggravation, while others having attempted to assauge their misery finding no success and then jumping onto the anti-God band wagon or victim band wagon mentality.

who's been the "victim" in this thread?

diamond said:
how convenient,
so we blame everything on nature, differrent shades of gray in our brain matter, and we're powerless to master our sexual drives like animals, and/or were all victims of circumstance or environment or whatever.

i'm not convinced, sorry no sale.

best,

dbs

How convenient, that you can twist and turn God's word so easily.

If you are one who believes the Bible wasn't written by mere humans, who had their own biases that inadvertantly enters into their description of morals.

If you are one who ignores any other views of the Bible as something "you don't agree with" without any actual inconsistencies to point out.

diamond said:

My thought is God wouldn't give us any burden that we couldn't master if we sought his help through humility and being humble.

dbs

So now you're being the convienient one and twisting words?

At least you're consistent...

diamond said:

dbs
I am not entirely convinced that I am living in a state of perpetually depressed depravity, in fact I think that I am doing quite well. I don't rape women, don't abuse children and somehow I manage to not try and autofellate myself and am yet to have any feeling other than revulsion at the prospect of any mans John Thomas being near my mouth (im sorry, I was just born that way, I blame my biology)

An infidel being able to lead a productive and exemplary life is exactly the sort of exception that disproves the contentions of the faithful, now I am probably disqualified from any religious standard through minor issues (I am quite in favour of sex, mind altering drugs etc.) but neither my utter lack of attraction towards faith or my reaction against the mindlessness of many faithful are personal failings in my mind.

Sloane Peterson said:

Well, that's my opinion and I might not have the right to say anything since i have not had a child, but it's not more stupid that a man trying to say ANYTHING about childbirth ... especially since my sentiments are of love and beauty. By the way, I may me optimistic, but I am not naive. I get this all the time from my dad, but my opinions are not going to change because of horror stories or bitchy people telling me that I am too young or not experienced enough to understand. Trying to scare me away from having a baby ? No problem. I am not even sure I want kids in the first place .

What man?

fly so high! said:

That's why you have that La-la- ideal of pregnancy and childbirth....you have not gone through it.....come back and post here PLEASE! when you have given birth and tell me again all the stuff you just said here and then i want you to go eat your placenta! Or Swallow the pill...if you dare....I mean shit....has anyone actually thought that the idea of maybe ingesting somebody else's placenta nutrients also wants to make you heave, I'm curious to know how this pill thing would work, i dunno....can the chemist guarantee that it is your placenta and not some "Roadkill" from a highway!

Personally i think there would be legal repercussions.....I mean this might be opening Pandora's Box.......the child when he/she becomes of legal age may sue for the right of eating the placenta/pill that her mother denied her.......is it the childs or the mother's....technically who OWNS the placenta!

It didn't strike me that Sloane had a la-la view of pregnancy. And I don't know why having children would change her view of what someone else may or may not want to do with their placenta. She never said she would give birth and then enjoy her placenta with some fava beans and a nice chianti :huh:

What I don't understand is why a mom would try and discourage a young lady from possibly having kids one day because she "hasn't gone through it". What a crock.

Sloane strikes me as a thoughtful young person, a free thinker, and probably someone who would make a great mom, if she so chooses. Hopefully she will because what this world doesn't need more of, are capable and loving women not having kids. :eyebrow:

I'll second Irvine...

OY, this thread....:ohmy: :ohmy:

I wonder if there's any room on here for a non-Mom who shares the so-called "la la" view on pregnancy but who would NOT eat the placenta? I happen to find the view that regarding pregnancy is something wonderful and beautiful is offensive, is even MORE offensive. I suppose Fly So High had a 36-hr labor of her first kid topped off with an emergency C section, and feels like she merits a gold medal. Well, so what sister, don't we ALL...and like it says in that book, "The Girlfriend's Guide To Pregnancy" they don't give out gold medals for this one, honey. If you did, I feel sorry for your of course, and can seehow that would make you bitter, but don't take it out on those of us who have yet to go through life's baptism of fire. I've seen humorous posts in the breastfeeding threads on here from a mom who says "After you've had a half-dozen doctors all craning their necks for a better view, all genteel notions of privacy are out the window" and SHE didn't sound cynical.

Birth is a wonderful dicotomy, like sex...the spiritual and the mundane, the heaven and the earth, beauty and the violence. That's why there's nothing like these two experiences on earth, not do we ever feel so close to God as when we perform these two life's most glorious expressions of praise to Him. We revel in the contrasts and the heavenly contradictions.

If your kid from that labor had down's syndrome or something, then you have a right maybe to be so goddarned bitter and feel so superior. Otherwise, I say, keep the trap shut. There are those of us on here who are prepared, when we become pregnant, to revel in the glorious "la la"-ness of it all, and we'll do our best to prepare not only for the agony itself but the blood and guts and the humilation of crapping on the delivery room table--if you haven't had time for the enema-- as well. (That's the one detail about birth--the total emptying out of yourself--that you'll never see in the movies or on TV.) We aren't blind.

So sorry to be so blunt, but hey, apparently, that's birth. And some mothers, I've read, are even la la during the process itself...reaching down to touch the head and all.

Um..I hope this post doesn't gross too many people out, but after what I've read on here, maybe not.

Last edited:
i feel reassured in 2 asspects of the poll results.
1- the moms w kids are a small minority that would ingest their used placenta- so something happens to most females after childbirth.

2 about 1/3 of the ppl think it's repugnant and unacceptable, which is pretty high percentage in this wrectched place:up:

:D

dbs

Again, acceptable in what sense, Diamond?

I don't think you understand the stats either. They say that of women with kids, 6 think it OK, 1 not. Of women without kids, 17 OK, 7 not.

Either way you look at it, it's not a minority who would ingest their placenta.

Last edited:
Sloane Peterson said:

Well, that's my opinion
As was mine... go figure... People have varying opinions, this is yet another part of life. We like to comment and post our own opinions.

Sloane Peterson said:

By the way, I may me optimistic, but I am not naive.
:lol: For sure!?!... For real!?!... and no one else will have an opinion that is different to you either right?

Sloane Peterson said:

Trying to scare me away from having a baby ? No problem. I am not even sure I want kids in the first place.
WRONG! :scream: Where TF do you get that idea from??? Having children is one of the greatest events in my life! Why would I discourage it? What erks me is the idea of saying that the EATING of a by-product of a birth is a "beautiful thing" :barf:
If we have misunderstood each other, Sloane Peterson, I apologise

hardyharhar[/i] [B]She never said she would give birth and then enjoy her placenta with some fava beans and a nice chianti[/B][/QUOTE] Well that’s a good thing... because it goes much better with a cab-sav and a nice walnut and blue cheese salad... thf thf thf thf thf :lol: [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by hardyharhar[/i] [B]What I don't understand is why a mom would try and discourage a young lady from possibly having kids one day because she "hasn't gone through it". What a crock.[/B][/QUOTE] Agreed... and it would take a special kind of :coocoo: to interpret my post as that [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by hardyharhar[/i] [B]because what this world doesn't need more of said:
I wonder if there's any room on here for a non-Mom who shares the so-called "la la" view on pregnancy but who would NOT eat the placenta?
For sure... the more the merrier, that’s what a forum is for... but be careful not to voice an opinion... people may not agree with you... shhhhhh

Teta040 said:
I suppose Fly So High had a 36-hr labor of her first kid topped off with an emergency C section, and feels like she merits a gold medal.
"I suppose"... Awesome... an assumption...
Remember kids... never assume it will only make an ASS of U and ME
My births where tough for me... they can be tough for anyone... but awesome and the greatest and most rewarding experience I have ever had...

Teta040 said:
Well, so what sister, don't we ALL...and like it says in that book, "The Girlfriend's Guide To Pregnancy" they don't give out gold medals for this one, honey. If you did, I feel sorry for your of course, and can seehow that would make you bitter, but don't take it out on those of us who have yet to go through life's baptism of fire.
Baptism of fire... seriously... you need help. It's a part of life! The only fire is the type that you need to put cream on for months after the birth if you get them... they are called haemorrhoids dear :lol: <not wanting to turn anyone off>

Teta040 said:
Birth is a wonderful dicotomy, like sex
like sex????
ROFLMAO
how exactly... ummmm sexual dichotomy... pleasure and pain... OOoooo kinky.
Beauty and violence... He's not the right guy for you... seek help!

Teta040 said:
If your kid from that labor had down's syndrome or something, then you have a right maybe to be so goddarned bitter and feel so superior. Otherwise, I say, keep the trap shut.
Should mothers that have children with a congenital disorder be any different from anyone else? We all love our children unconditionally. That is by far the most misguided, OFFENSIVE and disgusting comment I think I have ever read in this forum.

Teta040 said:
There are those of us on here who are prepared, when we become pregnant, to revel in the glorious "la la"-ness of it all, and we'll do our best to prepare not only for the agony itself but the blood and guts and the humilation of crapping on the delivery room table--if you haven't had time for the enema-- as well. (That's the one detail about birth--the total emptying out of yourself--that you'll never see in the movies or on TV.) We aren't blind.
Alas.. you are showing that you are blind. Nothing will prepare you, no one has a crystal ball that will tell you what is or is not going to happen. That "sister" is life.

Teta040 said:
So sorry to be so blunt, but hey, apparently, that's birth.
Sorry to be so blunt but hey, apparently, it appears you have no idea.

Want to do something constructive and memorable with the placenta? Do what hundreds of others do. Take it home and bury it under a tree or a rose bush DONT FEKIN' EAT IT and I guarantee you will have a beautiful and healthy commemoration of the greatest day of your life! (hopefully one of many)

*Steps off the soap box and walks off wondering if anyone has spell check on their computers*

diamond said:
The temporary organ was saved, dried and emulsified, then placed in gelatin capsules and taken by the mother in the months after the birth in December 2004.

again, i just think this point from the original article needs to be emphasized. whether or not you agree or disagree, i think it is important to keep in mind that this isn't serving it up on a dish. it is placed in gelatin capsules...so it doesn't even look or taste (not that i'd know!) like placenta. i just think this is a very important point.

Back
Top Bottom