Ingesting one's placenta, acceptable or not? - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Is this acceptable?
Yes, I'm a woman who is a mom and think it is 6 11.32%
Yes, I'm a woman with no kids and think it is 17 32.08%
No, I'm a woman with kids and say no. 2 3.77%
No, I'm a woman with no kids 7 13.21%
I'm male and say no. 9 16.98%
I'm male and say yes, and let them have cake too. 12 22.64%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2007, 06:05 PM   #211
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
how convenient,
so we blame everything on nature, differrent shades of gray in our brain matter, and we're powerless to master our sexual drives like animals, and/or were all victims of circumstance or environment or whatever.

i'm not convinced, sorry no sale.
i will take God's word over man's developing theories.

best,

dbs
Because the evidence doesn't support the religious notion of complete choice over sin you will reject it, and this is why neuroscience is going to murder literalistic faith - although to be fair geology and the theory of evolution have been doing it since the 19th century.

Is it coincidence that most men have no sexual attraction to children? Is it reasonable to find an explanation why that is? And if the answer doesn't conform to choice then can you accept it?

We (probably) have freedom over our actions, just because somebody has a sexual attraction to children doesn't excuse or diminish the terrible crime of sexually abusing a child.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:05 PM   #212
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
So could we blame it all on God?
some have tried i suppose, only adding to their aggravation, while others having attempted to assauge their misery finding no success and then jumping onto the anti-God band wagon or victim band wagon mentality.

My thought is God wouldn't give us any burden that we couldn't master if we sought his help through humility and being humble.

dbs

Old 07-31-2007, 06:05 PM   #213
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:20 PM
Quote:

but "God's word" is a matter of faith and wildly relative, culturally-influenced interpretation of a text that's been translated into English from another language.

sure, science is hard, but at least it's tangible, measurable, and real to everyone, not just to believers.

i know it's more comfortable to to believe in God's word when faced with information that might challenge our worldviews, and you might miss it like a child misses their blanket.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:06 PM   #214
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

some have tried i suppose, only adding to their aggravation, while others having attempted to assauge their misery finding no success and then jumping onto the anti-God band wagon or victim band wagon mentality.

who's been the "victim" in this thread?
Old 07-31-2007, 06:07 PM   #215
ONE
love, blood, life

I wonder how many victims of sexual abuse have been saved by their predators piety.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:10 PM   #216
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
how convenient,
so we blame everything on nature, differrent shades of gray in our brain matter, and we're powerless to master our sexual drives like animals, and/or were all victims of circumstance or environment or whatever.

i'm not convinced, sorry no sale.

best,

dbs
How convenient, that you can twist and turn God's word so easily.

If you are one who believes the Bible wasn't written by mere humans, who had their own biases that inadvertantly enters into their description of morals.

If you are one who ignores any other views of the Bible as something "you don't agree with" without any actual inconsistencies to point out.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:28 PM   #217
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:

My thought is God wouldn't give us any burden that we couldn't master if we sought his help through humility and being humble.

dbs
So now you're being the convienient one and twisting words?

At least you're consistent...
Old 07-31-2007, 06:31 PM   #218
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

dbs
I am not entirely convinced that I am living in a state of perpetually depressed depravity, in fact I think that I am doing quite well. I don't rape women, don't abuse children and somehow I manage to not try and autofellate myself and am yet to have any feeling other than revulsion at the prospect of any mans John Thomas being near my mouth (im sorry, I was just born that way, I blame my biology)

An infidel being able to lead a productive and exemplary life is exactly the sort of exception that disproves the contentions of the faithful, now I am probably disqualified from any religious standard through minor issues (I am quite in favour of sex, mind altering drugs etc.) but neither my utter lack of attraction towards faith or my reaction against the mindlessness of many faithful are personal failings in my mind.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:19 PM   #219
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
and that's why God gave us placentas.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:43 AM   #220
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Sloane Peterson

Well, that's my opinion and I might not have the right to say anything since i have not had a child, but it's not more stupid that a man trying to say ANYTHING about childbirth ... especially since my sentiments are of love and beauty. By the way, I may me optimistic, but I am not naive. I get this all the time from my dad, but my opinions are not going to change because of horror stories or bitchy people telling me that I am too young or not experienced enough to understand. Trying to scare me away from having a baby ? No problem. I am not even sure I want kids in the first place .
What man?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:10 AM   #221
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by fly so high!

That's why you have that La-la- ideal of pregnancy and childbirth....you have not gone through it.....come back and post here PLEASE! when you have given birth and tell me again all the stuff you just said here and then i want you to go eat your placenta! Or Swallow the pill...if you dare....I mean shit....has anyone actually thought that the idea of maybe ingesting somebody else's placenta nutrients also wants to make you heave, I'm curious to know how this pill thing would work, i dunno....can the chemist guarantee that it is your placenta and not some "Roadkill" from a highway!

Personally i think there would be legal repercussions.....I mean this might be opening Pandora's Box.......the child when he/she becomes of legal age may sue for the right of eating the placenta/pill that her mother denied her.......is it the childs or the mother's....technically who OWNS the placenta!
It didn't strike me that Sloane had a la-la view of pregnancy. And I don't know why having children would change her view of what someone else may or may not want to do with their placenta. She never said she would give birth and then enjoy her placenta with some fava beans and a nice chianti

What I don't understand is why a mom would try and discourage a young lady from possibly having kids one day because she "hasn't gone through it". What a crock.

Sloane strikes me as a thoughtful young person, a free thinker, and probably someone who would make a great mom, if she so chooses. Hopefully she will because what this world doesn't need more of, are capable and loving women not having kids.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:23 AM   #222
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by hardyharhar
She never said she would give birth and then enjoy her placenta with some fava beans and a nice chianti
thf thf thf thf thf
Old 08-02-2007, 12:31 AM   #223
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem

thf thf thf thf thf
Oh yeah, I forgot that part
Old 08-02-2007, 12:57 AM   #224
Refugee

Local Time: 09:20 PM
I'll second Irvine...

OY, this thread....

I wonder if there's any room on here for a non-Mom who shares the so-called "la la" view on pregnancy but who would NOT eat the placenta? I happen to find the view that regarding pregnancy is something wonderful and beautiful is offensive, is even MORE offensive. I suppose Fly So High had a 36-hr labor of her first kid topped off with an emergency C section, and feels like she merits a gold medal. Well, so what sister, don't we ALL...and like it says in that book, "The Girlfriend's Guide To Pregnancy" they don't give out gold medals for this one, honey. If you did, I feel sorry for your of course, and can seehow that would make you bitter, but don't take it out on those of us who have yet to go through life's baptism of fire. I've seen humorous posts in the breastfeeding threads on here from a mom who says "After you've had a half-dozen doctors all craning their necks for a better view, all genteel notions of privacy are out the window" and SHE didn't sound cynical.

Birth is a wonderful dicotomy, like sex...the spiritual and the mundane, the heaven and the earth, beauty and the violence. That's why there's nothing like these two experiences on earth, not do we ever feel so close to God as when we perform these two life's most glorious expressions of praise to Him. We revel in the contrasts and the heavenly contradictions.

If your kid from that labor had down's syndrome or something, then you have a right maybe to be so goddarned bitter and feel so superior. Otherwise, I say, keep the trap shut. There are those of us on here who are prepared, when we become pregnant, to revel in the glorious "la la"-ness of it all, and we'll do our best to prepare not only for the agony itself but the blood and guts and the humilation of crapping on the delivery room table--if you haven't had time for the enema-- as well. (That's the one detail about birth--the total emptying out of yourself--that you'll never see in the movies or on TV.) We aren't blind.

So sorry to be so blunt, but hey, apparently, that's birth. And some mothers, I've read, are even la la during the process itself...reaching down to touch the head and all.

Um..I hope this post doesn't gross too many people out, but after what I've read on here, maybe not.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:20 AM   #225
ONE
love, blood, life

i feel reassured in 2 asspects of the poll results.
1- the moms w kids are a small minority that would ingest their used placenta- so something happens to most females after childbirth.

2 about 1/3 of the ppl think it's repugnant and unacceptable, which is pretty high percentage in this wrectched place

dbs