Indian Opinion Towards US Up - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2005, 11:59 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:17 PM
Indian Opinion Towards US Up

Quote:
"Fully 71% in India express a positive opinion of the United States, compared with 54% three years ago," the [Pew Global Attitudes Project] survey says. Favorable opinion of the US in India was higher than any of the countries surveyed, including Canada (where it declined from 72% three years ago to 59%) and the United Kingdom, where it dipped considerably from 75% to 55%. Indians also had the most favorable opinion of the American people - 71% compared to 70% in Britain, 66% in Canada, 65% in Germany, 64% in France, 61% in Russia and 43% in China. The survey was conducted among 17,000 people in the US and 15 other countries from April 20 to May 31.

A healthy majority of Indians view Americans as "inventive" (86%), "hard-working" (81%) and "honest". Fewer than half associate the negative traits "greedy" (43%), "violent" (39%), "immoral" (33%) and "rude" (27%) with Americans.
link

I suppose that when it comes to the world, contrary to the opinions of so many, you cannot piss off all of the world all of the time.

Old 07-10-2005, 07:11 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:17 AM
This is interesting to say the least.

Old 07-10-2005, 07:29 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:17 AM
Re: Indian Opinion Towards US Up

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
link

I suppose that when it comes to the world, contrary to the opinions of so many, you cannot piss off all of the world all of the time.
It's all a right-wing conspiracy, A. That poll was probably conducted under threat of torture by Karl Rove, Tom Delay and Dubya themselves.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:37 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:17 PM
It's a start
Old 07-10-2005, 07:57 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

that's good I guess...

although I have to say, our standards have slipped pretty low when we consider it a *good* thing that 43% of a country consider Americans to be greedy and 39% associate us with being violent.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:59 AM   #6
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
that's good I guess...

although I have to say, our standards have slipped pretty low when we consider it a *good* thing that 43% of a country consider Americans to be greedy and 39% associate us with being violent.
Rich coming from country with a stone-age caste system, terrible corruption and a tradition of burning women alive.......

Still, let's keep outsourcing our jobs there..........
Old 07-10-2005, 09:13 AM   #7
Refugee

I think I'm gonna disagree with this one. I'm an American-born citizen but my parents came here from India to go to college in America and I went to India in June to visit my family. Of all the high school/college aged people I talked to, they ALL have unfavorable opinions of America. Like....they all don't like America/Americans and everyone that they go to school with thinks the same way. I found myself explaining tons of misconceptions that they pick up about Americans. Maybe the older people have started liking American corporations that send their jobs to them, but the growing sentiment among the next generation is completely different.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:14 AM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino

Rich coming from country with a stone-age caste system, terrible corruption and a tradition of burning women alive.......

Caste system was abolished decades ago. Plus you think you even know the reasoning behind why the caste system was made. You don't learn everything in your 9th grade world history class, buddy

India is one of the only democracies in a region full of Communist and dictatorial regimes.

Burning women alive?
Old 07-10-2005, 09:16 AM   #9
Refugee

Quote:

And they outsource jobs there because poorer Indians are just as smart as Americans and will work for less. I'm against outsourcing jobs to India (even tho my parents are from there) because I believe it's wrong to allow millions of people to lose their jobs just so that big corporations can save money. But the rationale to outsourcing jobs to India is because Indians give the same quality for a cheaper price tag.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:45 AM   #10
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by unosdostres14

Caste system was abolished decades ago.

I have many Indian friends, they assure me the caste system is alive and well.

http://www.dalitindia.org/caste/caste.htm

"Hence all the window dressings that goes on in the Country to cover the truth, to hide the Caste, the damages of the Caste System, the injustices of the caste Hindus, and present a very sober, deeply religious, spiritual, peace loving, non-violent face for the Public and World Consumption."

Quote:

Burning women alive?

Sati. Officially banned/abolished, just like the very much alive caste system.

"bride burning alive an dwell in India"

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9508/india/burning_brides/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/2241437.stm
Old 07-10-2005, 09:48 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Caste system was abolished decades ago. Plus you think you even know the reasoning behind why the caste system was made. You don't learn everything in your 9th grade world history class, buddy

India is one of the only democracies in a region full of Communist and dictatorial regimes.

Burning women alive?
The caste system has been officially dismantled since independence.

However, it has often been poorly enforced and the caste system operates de facto still. There are still many stories of the upper castes killing those in the lower classes or destroying their property if they get too wealthy. This is especially the case with the leather and merchant castes, whom I guess they never envisioned could become independently wealthy in the modern era. So the Brahmin caste just comes on in, demolishes their property and occasionally attacks/kills/maims the people of the lower castes.

The caste system was created like any other religious institution: as a means to force people to do jobs that no one wanted to do, but then going the added step of deifying it. Sure, let's develop a taboo against touching dead bodies, but hey...people die and *someone* has to take care of the dead. A contradiction? Yes. But the caste system solved that by forcing a class of people to do it, and then blaming it on their bad behavior in their past lives.

The caste system has to be probably the most offensive aspect of Hinduism.

Melon
Old 07-10-2005, 09:49 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I have many Indian friends, they assure me the caste system is alive and well.

http://www.dalitindia.org/caste/caste.htm

"Hence all the window dressings that goes on in the Country to cover the truth, to hide the Caste, the damages of the Caste System, the injustices of the caste Hindus, and present a very sober, deeply religious, spiritual, peace loving, non-violent face for the Public and World Consumption."
You're quite correct. In fact, I thought people long knew that the caste system still operated unofficially.

Oh well. Maybe now that more people know about it, more people can push for its complete dismantle.

Melon
Old 07-10-2005, 09:57 AM   #13
Refugee

The caste system, as I have learned from reading scripture and stuff, was merely a system of organizing the society. The people who were priests were said to be in the Brahmin caste. The people who were warriors were put into their respective caste. Etc. etc. It wasn't based on birth originally. It was based on merit. Depending on your abilities, you had a job, and based on that job you were in a certain class. Now what happened, was that when people had kids, often times the kids would just eventually take the same job as their parents. Makes sense.....a blacksmith teaches his son how to be a blacksmith and eventually his son becomes a blacksmith. So this happened very often. So AS A RESULT (not the cause) of people's children always taking the same jobs as their parents had, evolution of thinking made it seem as if jobs were hereditary and therefore caste was hereditary. And also...in India today you won't see people like....not going near the "untouchables" or whatever.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:05 AM   #14
War Child

Quote:
.in India today you won't see people like....not going near the "untouchables" or whatever.
Recent (in the last year or so) excellent article I read in National Geographic strongly suggests otherwise.

The research was carried out in India, not from a PC.

I'll ask my Indian co-workers also if that's the case.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:10 AM   #15
Refugee

Okay.....what you're talking about is just like any society. A very large percentage of America are very different from most. There's lots of people who still believe in slavery and stuff down south. This is such a retarted conversation. You're taking a minor part of India and using it to represent over a billion people. Trust me...I stayed in India for a month....there isn't rampant caste system shit going around. My family's ancestors were brahmins but we don't think about stuff like that when we're in India and neither does any of our family.

This is like saying that all Italians are gangsters because you heard about the mafia.