Indian Opinion Towards US Up - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2005, 11:14 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino

Rich coming from country with a stone-age caste system, terrible corruption and a tradition of burning women alive.......

Still, let's keep outsourcing our jobs there..........

it's always nice when you can sweep over a billion people into such a tidy box.

perhaps if the US had the same number of graduates who could compete in science and technology with their Indian counterparts then we wouldn't find so many jobs outsourced there.

still, you have Indian co-workers, so you can't possibly hold a wildly simplistic view of the most complex society on earth.

Old 07-10-2005, 11:55 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

it's always nice when you can sweep over a billion people into such a tidy box.

perhaps if the US had the same number of graduates who could compete in science and technology with their Indian counterparts then we wouldn't find so many jobs outsourced there.

still, you have Indian co-workers, so you can't possibly hold a wildly simplistic view of the most complex society on earth.
Truthfully Irvine, it's not all about whether or not the US produces competitive workers. It's about cheap labor and cost of living, also.

There are many internet sites that allow freelance web and multimedia designers to bid on posted projects. I've pretty much given up bidding on them, because most of them are awarded to people from India, who can afford to do the jobs for less than half of what Americans have to charge. For example, this one company posted an on-going full time project (40 hours a week) for $800 a month. And I kid you not, at least 19 people bid on it. Good grief, can you imagine that? These are American companies awarding these cheap contracts to Indian freelancers.

Old 07-10-2005, 12:48 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by unosdostres14
There's lots of people who still believe in slavery and stuff down south. This is such a retarted conversation.
Where did you find your information that there are "lots" of people who still believe in slavery "and stuff" down south?

Just as you have spent a month in India and have confirmed that the caste system is not rampant, I have lived in "down south" for 32 years and I can assure you that there are not "lots of people" here who wish to return to a system of slavery. Even most of the confederate flag wavers whom I confront distance themselves from such a cause. They typically focus on "states
rights" or "heritage," both of which I still disagree with, but they will be quick to comment that most confederate troops were themselves too poor to own slaves.

Now, I don't deny that there are people here in the south or any other part of the US that are of the opinion that slavery is a good thing, but to say there are "lots" of people down south who still believe in slavery, I'd have to see your evidence for that claim. Even such a "belief" does not compare to the actual practice, and I think the situation in India and the allegations related thereto were of the unofficial existence of a caste system despite its legal abolishment.

~U2Alabama
Old 07-10-2005, 12:51 PM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 02:27 PM
Quote:

It's not about competing technically, it's about comepting cost-wise.

Many Indians actually come over here to get their advanced degrees.

Quote:

I hold the view, as do many Indians here I work with, that India's caste system is an abomination. Similar to apartheid really in many ways.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:13 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama

Where did you find your information that there are "lots" of people who still believe in slavery "and stuff" down south?

Just as you have spent a month in India and have confirmed that the caste system is not rampant, I have lived in "down south" for 32 years and I can assure you that there are not "lots of people" here who wish to return to a system of slavery.
Exatly. I've lived down south for 37 years, and have never met a person who believe in slavery.

But providing facts and sources has never been unosdostres14's strong points. He's much more comfortable slandering people.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:23 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino

It's not about competing technically, it's about comepting cost-wise.

Many Indians actually come over here to get their advanced degrees.

I hold the view, as do many Indians here I work with, that India's caste system is an abomination. Similar to apartheid really in many ways.

it's mostly about numbers ... as Indian society grows richer, costs there will rise. but they will still have many, many more workers available than we do, and their graduates coming out of high school are more advanced than your typical American (or even European) worker.

no one likes the caste system, but to choose that as the defining characteristic of Indian society -- and that because of this India is morally unable to have valid opinions on the United States -- is really silly.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:35 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

no one likes the caste system, but to choose that as the defining characteristic of Indian society -- and that because of this India is morally unable to have valid opinions on the United States -- is really silly.
Especially when you take into account the fact that somewhere between 15-20% of Indians are not Hindu but Muslim/Christian/Sikh/Jain/Buddhist, and other faiths without a caste system.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:50 PM   #23
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by unosdostres14
Okay.....what you're talking about is just like any society. A very large percentage of America are very different from most. There's lots of people who still believe in slavery and stuff down south. This is such a retarted conversation. You're taking a minor part of India and using it to represent over a billion people. Trust me...I stayed in India for a month....there isn't rampant caste system shit going around. My family's ancestors were brahmins but we don't think about stuff like that when we're in India and neither does any of our family.

This is like saying that all Italians are gangsters because you heard about the mafia.
Visit Dalitfreedomnetwork.org (I think that's the site). 250 million people treated as outcasts. Lots of Americans in the south still want slavery? You're kidding right? Yes there are still issues of race, but in general, those who still want slavery are relegated to appearances on Jerry Springer.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:08 PM   #24
Refugee

Ah..I know that there aren't lots of people down south that believe in slavery. It was just kind of an on the moment comment. sorry to have offended anyone, but I dont' want my original point to be lost in this. There are pockets of every country that don't represent the view of most people in the nation. But that doesn't mean that the over one billion people in India believes in the caste system and employs it in everyday use since some areas still do.

When talking about jobs and such going to India, what people need to understand is that the workers in India that are taking the jobs have the exact same qualifications as the workers here. they are just working for less money because the cost of living is much less there so salaries don't need to be as high.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:12 PM   #25
Refugee

Quote:

it's mostly about numbers ... as Indian society grows richer, costs there will rise. but they will still have many, many more workers available than we do, and their graduates coming out of high school are more advanced than your typical American (or even European) worker.

That's absolutely correct. Even if there are people who are using the caste system (which is NOT the whole fucking country) it's definetly not the defining characteristic. Obviously there must be some intelligence in this nation if so many corporations would rather have Indians working in their companies than Americans.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:26 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Once India gets too expensive, they'll just hop to Malaysia. American multinational corporations, frankly, don't give a shit.

Melon
Old 07-10-2005, 09:28 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Once India gets too expensive, they'll just hop to Malaysia. American multinational corporations, frankly, don't give a shit.

Melon
That's true. That's true.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:10 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It's all silly anyway, considering that out of vast billion people in India less than 15,000 were asked their opinion in a poll that's all about neatly putting hundreds of millions of people in US in tidy boxes. Apparently that's enough to confidently brandish numbers like 77% percent or whatever,
Old 07-11-2005, 03:01 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:27 AM
You can say the same about any polls, but I suspect that such a change would be statistically significant.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:24 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

"There are lies, damn lies, and statistics"