Incest among the Amish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
Last night there was a story on Dateline about a teenage girl who had run away because she'd been molested by her older brothers since she was 12, and when she told the cops on them, her mother said she was a liar and had all her teeth pulled out! It was a terrible story. She got away but is now shunned! Here's the link, the girl's name is Anna Slaybaugh and her story is way down the page. The others are awful too. One girls' brothers were 'punished' by the Amish community, but only by being banned from church for 6 weeks!

http://www.legalaffairs.org/issues/January-February-2005/feature_labi_janfeb05.html

It's very said, it looks like brother-sister incest is more common than anyone wants to think in the Amish world and because of their seclusion from society, and their culture that forces all females to submit to all males, including brothers. Even the mothers take up for the boys and blame the girls, even when they are being held down. It's sickening and sad.:(

Last edited:
:down:

Obviously there's a lot to admire about the Amish way of life, but for me, this is like FGM--you can't excuse it away by saying, "Oh, it's their culture."

The Amish should be forced to follow laws just like we are. I've heard that underage drinking is a big thing among them. Nothing against all the Amish though, in case they just happen to be on the internet... doubt it though.

Macfistowannabe said:
The Amish should be forced to follow laws just like we are. I've heard that underage drinking is a big thing among them. Nothing against all the Amish though, in case they just happen to be on the internet... doubt it though.

I agree, they shouldn't be outside of the law. The laws are for everyone, to protect people. You're from Ohio, right? I didn't know underage drinking was a problem for them. It seems like some of these people need help.

verte76 said:

I agree, they shouldn't be outside of the law. The laws are for everyone, to protect people. You're from Ohio, right? I didn't know underage drinking was a problem for them. It seems like some of these people need help.
I'm from Ohio, yes, and I've visited Amish Country many times, the largest settlement of Amish in the world according to what I've heard. It's a beautiful place, very rural. They're a little more mennonite over there than Amish, seeing that they operate computers and such. They're known for their hard work and good bargains.

I don't know how much of a problem underage drinking is exactly over there, but I've heard that the boys are partiers who drink from time to time. This incest stuff is unbelievable :(. As much as I'd like to respect their strict holier than thou doctorine, that article had my respect for them nearly passing out. I don't think there could be a civilization where everybody does the right thing, and my conclusion is that we need laws for every society so this kind of crap isn't going on.

Right, how can they think it's evil to wear modern clothes or drive a car, then rape their sister?

This Dateline story was originally aired a couple months back; since local authorities don't seem interested in being responsible, this young lady should file a Civil Rights lawsuit in Federal Court...if anything, just to make a statement of NO MORE. :up:

I didn't have time to read the entire article so maybe I missed this, but I wonder how prevalent the incest and rape actually is. I'm not trying to discount the stories in the article, but since I don't really know much about the Amish, I don't want to end up with an opinion that they're all evil rapists if this doesn't happen that often. As a female college student, I keep hearing things like "one in three women are sexually harassed in some way by the time they're 21". It's horrible either way, but unfortunately doesn't sound unique to Amish communities.

I do believe though that they should be held to the same standards under the law as every other citizen.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I didn't have time to read the entire article so maybe I missed this, but I wonder how prevalent the incest and rape actually is. I'm not trying to discount the stories in the article, but since I don't really know much about the Amish, I don't want to end up with an opinion that they're all evil rapists if this doesn't happen that often. As a female college student, I keep hearing things like "one in three women are sexually harassed in some way by the time they're 21". It's horrible either way, but unfortunately doesn't sound unique to Amish communities.

I was just thinking pretty much what you posted. I don't doubt this happens in Amish communities, but I also don't doubt it happens in virtually every other community also. And sadly, the reaction of the community is most often similar to that of the Amish communities cited here -- they band together and protect the "community" which generally means they protect the criminals instead of the victims.

It's horrible in all cases, and the Amish being isolated makes it that much harder for the victims to find that one person neede to help put a stop to the abuse. But the sad fact is, sexual abuse might very well be happening right this moment in the house next door to each and every one of us.

U2Kitten said:
Right, how can they think it's evil to wear modern clothes or drive a car, then rape their sister?

Good point.

That is sad. It's really a shame, too, 'cause like others have been saying, from what I have heard about the Amish culture, there are things about their lifestyle that I do respect-their hard work ethic and honesty in general and all that-I think that's pretty cool, and think those are two things people in this world could do with more of. I definitely also agree that we shouldn't start stereotyping all the Amish because of these few creeps.

Meh. I hope that those who have done this get the punishment they deserve.

Angela

I have a special respect for the Amish and their work ethic, I wish I had half these people's discipline. I think the ones who are committing the sex crimes are very much in the minority, just as in the general population. They are human too and this is going to happen in their communities too.

verte76 said:
I have a special respect for the Amish and their work ethic, I wish I had half these people's discipline. I think the ones who are committing the sex crimes are very much in the minority, just as in the general population. They are human too and this is going to happen in their communities too.

But the difference is, it seems condoned by the parents and community, and they are not subject to the same laws we are. Shunned from 6 weeks of church, is that what they think is just punishment for sister rape? Something is wrong.

From what that girl said, it's not just this, but there seem to be beatings and other discrimination against females in the culture.

What about the pulling out of all her teeth, and the dentist going along with it? This is the kind of thing that makes me wonder what else is going on that we don't know about because of their seclusion from society. No one is saying all Amish are evil, but it may be more common than anyone wants to think. Even if it was rare, is it right that these things go on and they get away with it while others don't?

Just like with the discrimination against many Muslim women, it upsets me to see the 'they're not all like that' thing come in to write it off and cover it up with PCness so that those who ARE like that will be able to continue as usual.:(

Last edited:
The tooth-pulling thing is pretty damned inexcusable. If that happened at the local Dental School, where I see a dentist, heads would roll. If something wrong is happening anywhere, I don't care where or who, they should pay a price. It's not fair that someone does something like this and doesn't get punished.

It was an Amish dentist, and the mother ordered it for 'punishment.' This must not be unheard of or I don't think the dentist would have done it. He's probably done it before. According to the TV story, toothlessness was a form of 'scarlet letter' :(

i just read that article from the link posted from top to bottom, and i dont think i can ever look at the amish in the same way again. bunch of hypocrites they are.

i have no respect for them.

I don't think *most* Amish would do any such a thing. You can get yourself into a bit of a mess in the PC department by getting into the "most of" argument, the same way we can do with Muslims and terrorists. But I still think it's basically the truth.

I've always thought they were a bit cultish, in general. this story no matter how rare, or common, is sick.

it reminds me of the book, "under the banner of heaven"

The saddest and scariest thing is because they are a closed society and above the law, we'll NEVER know just how common it is, and how many people are being hurt. It might be worse than you think. They seem to have some kind of 'code of silence' thing going on, and you are severely punished for 'squealing.' The thing that gets me about this is that you'd think that in an ultra religious society they'd be so goody goody it would be the rapist who was the 'fornicator' and be punished and looked down on, and if was against a family member he'd be even more shameful. But they seem to be blaming the young girls, the victims!

Last edited:
Been spendin' all our lives, livin' in an Amish Paradise
We're all crazy Mennonites, livin' in an Amish Paradise
There's no cops or traffic lights, livin' in an Amish Paradise
But you'd probably think it bites, livin' in an Amish Paradise

Thanks speedracer... although I'm not proud to have that song in my head when we're talking about incest and teeth pulling, anything Amish makes it pop in my head.

I find myself singing this song in my head quite a bit these days.

Odd...that and "Living here in allentown" (B. Joel).

The Amish are a Christian sect who do not believe in most modern conveniences, from computers to cars to light bulbs to...well, you get the idea. I believe this also includes buttons and vaccinations. (Not joking about the button thing, either.) They are a very closed society, in that Amish tend only to marry other Amish and raise their children Amish and such. They are mostly all farmers and craftspeople and live mostly in Pennsylvania and Ohio (with some pockets elsewhere). They are Christian, but obviously have their own thing going on with the no-electricity-or-anything-like-that stuff. And, like we've mentioned here, due in large part to their being closed off from larger society, they're facing some challenges right now--although I don't want to give the impression that all Amish would condone this activity, or participate in it. I'd really hope that most Amish would, as we do, condemn the violators and not the young women who have been violated.

Shakers are an entirely different group. In fact, there are very few Shakers left today. They were begun in the 1840s (I think) by a woman named Mother Ann. Shakers live communally (they share everything) and are committed to simplicity, prayer, and celibacy. "Simplicity" in this case, though, isn't nearly as strict as Amish simplicity--though Shaker communities are meant to be self-sustaining, they do drive cars, have refrigerators, things like that. Shakers, in fact, only perpetuated themselves by adopting orphans, because all Shakers give up sex for life--including sex of the married-and-trying-to-have-kids variety. Shakers get their name from the ecstatic dancing they sometimes do during prayer--they believe this is a form of praise to God. Again, Shakers are Christian.

Quakers are the folks who founded my fine state of Pennsylvania. ;) Of the three groups Foray mentioned, there are the most Quakers still around today (Society of Friends or Friends Meeting=Quakers). Quakers don't always (in fact, don't usually) live communally, and most Quakers marry, have children, things like that. Quakers also believe in simplicity, but, again, they drive cars and have electric appliances and stuff. (In fact, the Quakers I know are OBSESSED with hybrid cars.) Women and men had equal standing in Quaker society right from the get-go, and Quaker meetings don't always (and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they don't usually) follow any kind of format or have a minister who leads it--individuals just speak or pray whenever the Spirit moves them. They are also Christian. The Quakers I know are VERY politically involved--mostly in anti-war and anti-death penalty movements. Quakers are total pacifists and (I think) cannot be drafted in wartime.

Hope this helps.

My fifth grade teacher told us about the Shakers and told us they didn't believe in sex. Some kid asked, I've never heard of them, what happened to them, and she said 'they died out.' The kids started laughing. No sex so they died out.

Back
Top Bottom