Incest among the Amish - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2004, 09:42 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:31 AM
Normal Incest among the Amish

Last night there was a story on Dateline about a teenage girl who had run away because she'd been molested by her older brothers since she was 12, and when she told the cops on them, her mother said she was a liar and had all her teeth pulled out! It was a terrible story. She got away but is now shunned! Here's the link, the girl's name is Anna Slaybaugh and her story is way down the page. The others are awful too. One girls' brothers were 'punished' by the Amish community, but only by being banned from church for 6 weeks!

http://www.legalaffairs.org/issues/J..._janfeb05.html

It's very said, it looks like brother-sister incest is more common than anyone wants to think in the Amish world and because of their seclusion from society, and their culture that forces all females to submit to all males, including brothers. Even the mothers take up for the boys and blame the girls, even when they are being held down. It's sickening and sad.

Old 12-11-2004, 10:34 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:31 AM
Gosh, how sad.

Old 12-11-2004, 11:32 AM   #3
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:31 AM

Obviously there's a lot to admire about the Amish way of life, but for me, this is like FGM--you can't excuse it away by saying, "Oh, it's their culture."

Join Amnesty.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:34 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The Amish should be forced to follow laws just like we are. I've heard that underage drinking is a big thing among them. Nothing against all the Amish though, in case they just happen to be on the internet... doubt it though.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:36 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
The Amish should be forced to follow laws just like we are. I've heard that underage drinking is a big thing among them. Nothing against all the Amish though, in case they just happen to be on the internet... doubt it though.
I agree, they shouldn't be outside of the law. The laws are for everyone, to protect people. You're from Ohio, right? I didn't know underage drinking was a problem for them. It seems like some of these people need help.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:00 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

I agree, they shouldn't be outside of the law. The laws are for everyone, to protect people. You're from Ohio, right? I didn't know underage drinking was a problem for them. It seems like some of these people need help.
I'm from Ohio, yes, and I've visited Amish Country many times, the largest settlement of Amish in the world according to what I've heard. It's a beautiful place, very rural. They're a little more mennonite over there than Amish, seeing that they operate computers and such. They're known for their hard work and good bargains.

I don't know how much of a problem underage drinking is exactly over there, but I've heard that the boys are partiers who drink from time to time. This incest stuff is unbelievable . As much as I'd like to respect their strict holier than thou doctorine, that article had my respect for them nearly passing out. I don't think there could be a civilization where everybody does the right thing, and my conclusion is that we need laws for every society so this kind of crap isn't going on.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:38 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Right, how can they think it's evil to wear modern clothes or drive a car, then rape their sister?
Old 12-11-2004, 12:41 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Right, how can they think it's evil to wear modern clothes or drive a car, then rape their sister?
I agree, that's pretty schizoid.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:57 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Where I live we have a lot of Amish familys that live about 20 miles from town. I just hate to think that this might be happening in my own neck of the woods.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:11 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:31 PM
This Dateline story was originally aired a couple months back; since local authorities don't seem interested in being responsible, this young lady should file a Civil Rights lawsuit in Federal Court...if anything, just to make a statement of NO MORE.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:38 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

I didn't have time to read the entire article so maybe I missed this, but I wonder how prevalent the incest and rape actually is. I'm not trying to discount the stories in the article, but since I don't really know much about the Amish, I don't want to end up with an opinion that they're all evil rapists if this doesn't happen that often. As a female college student, I keep hearing things like "one in three women are sexually harassed in some way by the time they're 21". It's horrible either way, but unfortunately doesn't sound unique to Amish communities.

I do believe though that they should be held to the same standards under the law as every other citizen.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:24 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I didn't have time to read the entire article so maybe I missed this, but I wonder how prevalent the incest and rape actually is. I'm not trying to discount the stories in the article, but since I don't really know much about the Amish, I don't want to end up with an opinion that they're all evil rapists if this doesn't happen that often. As a female college student, I keep hearing things like "one in three women are sexually harassed in some way by the time they're 21". It's horrible either way, but unfortunately doesn't sound unique to Amish communities.

I was just thinking pretty much what you posted. I don't doubt this happens in Amish communities, but I also don't doubt it happens in virtually every other community also. And sadly, the reaction of the community is most often similar to that of the Amish communities cited here -- they band together and protect the "community" which generally means they protect the criminals instead of the victims.

It's horrible in all cases, and the Amish being isolated makes it that much harder for the victims to find that one person neede to help put a stop to the abuse. But the sad fact is, sexual abuse might very well be happening right this moment in the house next door to each and every one of us.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:33 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Good point.

That is sad. It's really a shame, too, 'cause like others have been saying, from what I have heard about the Amish culture, there are things about their lifestyle that I do respect-their hard work ethic and honesty in general and all that-I think that's pretty cool, and think those are two things people in this world could do with more of. I definitely also agree that we shouldn't start stereotyping all the Amish because of these few creeps.

Meh. I hope that those who have done this get the punishment they deserve.

Angela
Old 12-12-2004, 06:41 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

I have a special respect for the Amish and their work ethic, I wish I had half these people's discipline. I think the ones who are committing the sex crimes are very much in the minority, just as in the general population. They are human too and this is going to happen in their communities too.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:50 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I have a special respect for the Amish and their work ethic, I wish I had half these people's discipline. I think the ones who are committing the sex crimes are very much in the minority, just as in the general population. They are human too and this is going to happen in their communities too.
But the difference is, it seems condoned by the parents and community, and they are not subject to the same laws we are. Shunned from 6 weeks of church, is that what they think is just punishment for sister rape? Something is wrong.

From what that girl said, it's not just this, but there seem to be beatings and other discrimination against females in the culture.

What about the pulling out of all her teeth, and the dentist going along with it? This is the kind of thing that makes me wonder what else is going on that we don't know about because of their seclusion from society. No one is saying all Amish are evil, but it may be more common than anyone wants to think. Even if it was rare, is it right that these things go on and they get away with it while others don't?

Just like with the discrimination against many Muslim women, it upsets me to see the 'they're not all like that' thing come in to write it off and cover it up with PCness so that those who ARE like that will be able to continue as usual.