Incest among the Amish - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2004, 09:51 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:45 PM
The tooth-pulling thing is pretty damned inexcusable. If that happened at the local Dental School, where I see a dentist, heads would roll. If something wrong is happening anywhere, I don't care where or who, they should pay a price. It's not fair that someone does something like this and doesn't get punished.

Old 12-12-2004, 11:41 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:45 AM
It was an Amish dentist, and the mother ordered it for 'punishment.' This must not be unheard of or I don't think the dentist would have done it. He's probably done it before. According to the TV story, toothlessness was a form of 'scarlet letter'

Old 12-12-2004, 11:46 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

I know they're a different culture but that's inexcusable. Not anywhere close to living a pure, Christian life.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:03 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

That's incredibly cruel. It's pretty hard to live without teeth. Gah......
Old 12-13-2004, 11:50 AM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 06:45 AM
I'm numb.

and
Old 12-14-2004, 05:06 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:45 AM
i just read that article from the link posted from top to bottom, and i dont think i can ever look at the amish in the same way again. bunch of hypocrites they are.

i have no respect for them.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:42 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think *most* Amish would do any such a thing. You can get yourself into a bit of a mess in the PC department by getting into the "most of" argument, the same way we can do with Muslims and terrorists. But I still think it's basically the truth.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:55 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 05:45 AM
I've always thought they were a bit cultish, in general. this story no matter how rare, or common, is sick.

it reminds me of the book, "under the banner of heaven"
Old 12-15-2004, 03:50 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

The saddest and scariest thing is because they are a closed society and above the law, we'll NEVER know just how common it is, and how many people are being hurt. It might be worse than you think. They seem to have some kind of 'code of silence' thing going on, and you are severely punished for 'squealing.' The thing that gets me about this is that you'd think that in an ultra religious society they'd be so goody goody it would be the rapist who was the 'fornicator' and be punished and looked down on, and if was against a family member he'd be even more shameful. But they seem to be blaming the young girls, the victims!
Old 12-15-2004, 10:10 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Been spendin' all our lives, livin' in an Amish Paradise
We're all crazy Mennonites, livin' in an Amish Paradise
There's no cops or traffic lights, livin' in an Amish Paradise
But you'd probably think it bites, livin' in an Amish Paradise
Old 12-15-2004, 01:17 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:45 AM
Thanks speedracer... although I'm not proud to have that song in my head when we're talking about incest and teeth pulling, anything Amish makes it pop in my head.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:13 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:45 AM
I find myself singing this song in my head quite a bit these days.

Odd...that and "Living here in allentown" (B. Joel).
Old 12-19-2004, 03:55 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:45 AM
What's the difference between Amish, Quakers, and Shakers?

(this is not a joke question)

foray
Old 12-19-2004, 04:15 PM   #29
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:45 AM
The Amish are a Christian sect who do not believe in most modern conveniences, from computers to cars to light bulbs to...well, you get the idea. I believe this also includes buttons and vaccinations. (Not joking about the button thing, either.) They are a very closed society, in that Amish tend only to marry other Amish and raise their children Amish and such. They are mostly all farmers and craftspeople and live mostly in Pennsylvania and Ohio (with some pockets elsewhere). They are Christian, but obviously have their own thing going on with the no-electricity-or-anything-like-that stuff. And, like we've mentioned here, due in large part to their being closed off from larger society, they're facing some challenges right now--although I don't want to give the impression that all Amish would condone this activity, or participate in it. I'd really hope that most Amish would, as we do, condemn the violators and not the young women who have been violated.

Shakers are an entirely different group. In fact, there are very few Shakers left today. They were begun in the 1840s (I think) by a woman named Mother Ann. Shakers live communally (they share everything) and are committed to simplicity, prayer, and celibacy. "Simplicity" in this case, though, isn't nearly as strict as Amish simplicity--though Shaker communities are meant to be self-sustaining, they do drive cars, have refrigerators, things like that. Shakers, in fact, only perpetuated themselves by adopting orphans, because all Shakers give up sex for life--including sex of the married-and-trying-to-have-kids variety. Shakers get their name from the ecstatic dancing they sometimes do during prayer--they believe this is a form of praise to God. Again, Shakers are Christian.

Quakers are the folks who founded my fine state of Pennsylvania. Of the three groups Foray mentioned, there are the most Quakers still around today (Society of Friends or Friends Meeting=Quakers). Quakers don't always (in fact, don't usually) live communally, and most Quakers marry, have children, things like that. Quakers also believe in simplicity, but, again, they drive cars and have electric appliances and stuff. (In fact, the Quakers I know are OBSESSED with hybrid cars.) Women and men had equal standing in Quaker society right from the get-go, and Quaker meetings don't always (and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they don't usually) follow any kind of format or have a minister who leads it--individuals just speak or pray whenever the Spirit moves them. They are also Christian. The Quakers I know are VERY politically involved--mostly in anti-war and anti-death penalty movements. Quakers are total pacifists and (I think) cannot be drafted in wartime.

Hope this helps.

Join Amnesty.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:55 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

My fifth grade teacher told us about the Shakers and told us they didn't believe in sex. Some kid asked, I've never heard of them, what happened to them, and she said 'they died out.' The kids started laughing. No sex so they died out.