In Sticker We Trust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I am all for respecting others' religious beliefs, but come on-is that really offensive to someone's beliefs,a picture of a nickel on an elementary school yearbook? What's next? It's on the nickel, but now we have to censor it out?

The sticker is just as weird though

Dallasnews.com

WFAA-TV

The freedom of religion at Liberty Elementary School has gone too far for some parents at the Colleyville school.

The cover of the Keller ISD school's annual depicts the 2005 Liberty Nickel – complete with the face of Thomas Jefferson – but the words "In God We Trust" are missing.

Instead, the $16 yearbook contains a sticker with the credo and directions on how to apply it to the cover if the owner chooses.

Debbi Ackerman was one of the parents who questioned the missing phrase when her daughter brought the annual home from school.

"She said the teachers told them there was some people who didn't believe in God, and that when they got home – don't do it at school – but affix it when they got home," Mrs. Ackerman said.

"We are just shocked and saddened that it's come to this and it hit right in our back yard."

The Keller school district's policy is to remain neutral on religion.

A spokesman for the PTA, which produced the book, says it simply adhered to that rule.

"I have heard both sides of the argument, so we decided to not step on anybody's toes and take it off," PTA spokesman Tom Gardner said.

A spokesman for the district agreed.

"In this case, I think it was the principal making every effort to make sure that all faiths were respected," Jason Meyer said.

MrsSpringsteen said:
"In this case, I think it was the principal making every effort to make sure that all faiths were respected," Jason Meyer said.

:up:

With the threat of an ACLU lawsuit to drain school resources (as it happens elsewhere), school administrators are forced into such stupid acts.

I think some of these school officials love these controversies. They could have depicted "Liberty" in any number of ways. They just decided to do it in a way that leads to unnecessary public goutrage.

They shouldn't have used the nickel at all.

Melon

MoneySansGod.jpg

nbcrusader said:
Nickels are so offensive

It's not that as much as believing that "In God We Trust" was not appropriate for a public school, then making sure it stuck out like a sore thumb with that sticker.

If they were uncomfortable with that (after all, school administrators run their schools like a despotry anyway), then they should have chosen a different symbol that didn't require stickers or media attention from the PC goutrage mobs.

Melon

If people don't want their money that says "In God We Trust," then you can pass it on to me - I wouldn't be offended at all. :wink:

melon said:
If they were uncomfortable with that (after all, school administrators run their schools like a despotry anyway), then they should have chosen a different symbol that didn't require stickers or media attention from the PC goutrage mobs.

Melon

So we let the PC goutrage mobs dictate society with their petty protests everytime a hint of God is seen near a school campus?

nbcrusader said:
So we let the PC goutrage mobs dictate society with their petty protests everytime a hint of God is seen near a school campus?

Supreme Court precedent is pretty clear on this one. There is generally no reason to inject religion into public schools, unless a religious person is interested in provoking a fight.

If you want religion in schools, go to a private school. A lot of religious schools have financial aid for those who have trouble with tuition.

Melon

Like it's really hard to apply the sticker.

Instructions:

1. Peel off from backing.

2. Place on book where "needed".

3. Quit bitching.

I just don't see how a picture of a nickel on an elementary school yearbook is injecting or promoting religion. No one would even think that or even notice until it was suggested, methinks. Back in the old days when I was in elementary school, people would have laughed their asses off at such a suggestion. Just as some "religious people" might be looking in every nook and cranny for evidence that they are being persecuted and censored, perhaps so are some "non-religious" looking in same for evidence that religion is being forced upon them.

Perhaps the pendulum swings too far sometimes to the point of sheer ridiculousness, that's my only point. I'm not "outraged" over it or bitching about it, I save that for far more important things :)

melon said:
Supreme Court precedent is pretty clear on this one. There is generally no reason to inject religion into public schools, unless a religious person is interested in provoking a fight.

A picture of a nickel is not "injection of religion" and is nowhere close to establishment of religion. There is no rational basis or connection to the claim you suggest.

This is just the product of decades of actions by a vocal few (who appear to be overly sensitive to seeing the word "God"), together with a healthy grant from the department of meaningless symbolic gestures.

I guess once the sensitive few bitched enough, now the rest of society must "quit bitching".

I don't believe in nickels, because they are circular.
They remind me of a Communion wafer.
Coins should be square.

Back
Top Bottom