In His own image

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonosSaint

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Being that many on this board will begin to celebrate Passover and have begun to celebrate Easter this week and it is a week I think about these things, I had a question--for Jews, Christians, and any other interested party. Genesis states that God created man in his own image. What does that mean to you?

Please feel free to including any supporting text (reference, please), but I'm more interested in personal meanings.

I'm christian catholic and I think it means that men as God has the free will, he has a body that he fully controls, men are gods towards their body and its behaviour...
ora at least he had, since much of it's christalline control got lost in the Original Sin...
Happy eastern!

I'm Catholic Christian also, and I think it means to just try to live a good life, serving the Lord as much as humanly possible. Of course I'm going to screw up, that's original sin. But I try to steer clear of sin whenever possible. I'm not always going to agree with what others consider sinful (i.e, drinking in moderation is OK by me, even though I personally don't like to drink) but we do agree on trying to avoid sin in general.

verte76 said:
I'm not always going to agree with what others consider sinful (i.e, drinking in moderation is OK by me, even though I personally don't like to drink)

Heheh! there is a latin statement that goes like this: "In vino Veritas" that it means: "thru drinking wine you'll hear people's truth", so since to lie it's a sin, I consider very VERY good to drink! :wink: :wink:
hehe! just a joke verte!

The people/ or person that wrote that

meant that God created man to resemble him.

i. e. A head, two arms, two legs, etc.

People - unlike a dog, a rock, a tree, a crayon - are not a means to an end, but an end themselves. A rock, crayon, plant does not have the potential to receive God's Grace.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
People - unlike a dog, a rock, a tree, a crayon - are not a means to an end, but an end themselves. A rock, crayon, plant does not have the potential to receive God's Grace.
We are a means to an end, we are a means of protecting and combining genetic information, just like a plant or a dog.

Genesis tells us that man has often created a God in his own image.

First, it does NOT mean that God looks like man. He created us in His image. We always try to create Him in our image.

Second, it means that every person bears the image of God. Take that in for a minute.

We have a responsibility before God regarding how we treat one another as all are created by God and bear the image of God.

If you think that part was just written by men, I guess you can ignore it.

A_Wanderer said:
Genesis tells us that man has often created a God in his own image.

Can you explain more? Or do you simply mean the NIV/KJV/NRSV translations of Genesis? Because I've read the Genesis creation story translated directly from Hebrew into other various cultural contexts and the Hebrew concept of God creating humans in His image defines the relationship between God and humans, not certain properties of human beings. It means God/humans do not use each other as a means to some other end, but the relationship between God and humans is the end itself. The procreation of humans doesn't have anything to do with a relationship to God, it's just a scientific process, or according to Genesis, the relatonship between human beings, not God. Also, in the original Hebrew there's a verb for "created" that always implied God as the subject.

In general, I despise the way the Christian creation story is written in modern English Bibles. It makes no sense and most of it has nothing to do with the original Hebrew meaning.

If we take the creation story as the end product of tales and folklore in the region that has been compiled into a relatively cohesive narrative then it is the creation of human beings.

The point is that it is a product of mankind, as such when it talks of God the very concept is a creation of human beings. Defining a special relationship elevates humanity above other animals in the natural world, quite an anthropocentric position to be sure.

The literalist interperatation of modern translations is verifiably false, but then if the story is taken as allegory and adapted to a naturalistic worldview but with divine influence then there is no need for God to exist.

Reconciling belief and fact is something that creates logical inconsistencies. For that reason one doesn't demand evidence for belief or selectively use evidence to justify belief.

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:

We have a responsibility before God regarding how we treat one another as all are created by God and bear the image of God

I agree with that, that's beautiful. Maybe I'd also say that God is love and we are supposed to be reflections of that love.

Unfortunately many people seem to think that they are God like, obviously that is a total distortion of the meaning.

For those that believe that his passage indicates the doctrine of Free Will, I'm interested to know how you arrive at this conclusion and if the meanings of the original Hebrew texts are accounted for in this assumption.

To me, a presbyterian Christian, it means we were created with some semblance of his character. God isn't a tangible form so how could we LOOK like him? After "the fall" we got a whole lot more corrupted and fallible, but we were made to be compassionate, gracious, and wise people. Some of us still manage to be that good, some of us try, and some of us don't care; but there's a bit of God's loving character in all of us.

I was thinking the other day that we are the only creatures to be able to rise above our base instincts and choose not to. A house plant can't send its son to die for all the other plants; it just sits there and does plant-type things and never even thinks of doing anything else. We, however, understand the concept of self-sacrifice and patience as well as a lot of other ideas that we inherit from God.

Yes, I'm shutting up now :wink:

Jewish tradition generally takes this passage (Gen 1:26-27) to suggest that humans uniquely resemble God in the sense that we have a moral dimension: a capacity to know right from wrong, to choose between the two, and to be co-participants in creation (in its ongoing sense) both spiritually and physically through the moral choices we make. Usually this capacity is understood to be intuitive in origin (per the first creation account), but ultimately intellectual and experiential as well (per the second account, where acquisitive desire, rationalization, and resulting shame at our inadequacy enter the human moral vocabulary).

The Hebrew here doesn't suggest a concrete physical resemblance; "tselem" (b'tselem elohim, "in the image of the Master") derives from the abstract term tsel, "shadow," "reflection," "phantom"; while the immediately following word usually translated as "likeness" (kidmutanu) derives from demut, another abstract, hard-to-translate conceptual term meaning, roughly, "pattern." Neither word suggests corporeality. In passages where "images" and "likenesses" in the physical sense are referred to (e.g. the Second Commandment), the terms generally used are pesel ("idol", "graven image") and temunah (roughly, "record").

As a historical footnote, the phrase "made in god's image" was also commonly applied in many Ancient Near Eastern cultures to rulers, suggesting that they had been granted a special mission, and authority, over their subjects analogous to the god'(s') benevolent rule over humans. So in the context of Genesis specifically, this phrase could also be interpreted as a uniquely Hebrew twist on that concept, suggesting that God has designated humans as stewards of creation. That would be in keeping with the style of this first creation account, which is really not very folkloric or anthropomorphic, but rather didactic, order-focused and "priestly" (and also likely relatively late, as most other references to creation and Sabbath in the Hebrew scriptures suggest no awareness of the "seven days" theme).

Yoland, thank you for the hebrew background. Now I recall the example given for "tselem".

If you hold a cube to a light, it casts the shadow of a square (where you lose one dimension, but can roughly tell what caused the shape).

We are the shadow from God - which gives God a dimension and appearance beyond what we can fully comprehend, but as a shadow, we have a clue.

BonosSaint said:
Genesis states that God created man in his own image. What does that mean to you?

personally, i think it's all mumbo-jumbo.

or bullshit, whichever you prefer.

Last edited:
Re: Re: In His own image

JMScoopy said:

personally, i think it's all mumbo-jumbo.

or bullshit, whichever you prefer.

Now that is an immature and ignorant comment. Most here will probably disregard it, myself included.

As for myself, I was raised a Presbyterian Christian, although I don't regularly go to Church to "worship" I am a Believer of sorts, and I have religion or spirit in my heart. I feel religion is and should be personal. Regarding the question in this thread, there is no real "image" of God, and we are each born with our own identity, however what I believe being discussed here regarding the meaning of this "image of God" can mean being raised under the Golden Rule and in treating one another in loving ways and peace.

NBCrusader said it best:
First, it does NOT mean that God looks like man. He created us in His image. We always try to create Him in our image.

Second, it means that every person bears the image of God. Take that in for a minute.

We have a responsibility before God regarding how we treat one another as all are created by God and bear the image of God.

this God is not a being like men, is a modern idea

I believe the writers of what we call the Bible, saw God as a being that created man in his image

"Exodus 31:18 (New American Standard Bible)
New American Standard Bible (NASB)

18 When He had finished speaking with him upon Mount Sinai, He gave Moses (A)the two tablets of the testimony, tablets of stone, (B)written by the finger of God. "

God has a voice and a finger.

There are other mentions of God's face and other man like features throughout the Bible.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: In His own image

JMScoopy said:

so i guess you dont believe in evolution?

Why would believing in a god exclude someone from believing in evolution? I'm a Christian and believe in evolution :shrug:

I didn't mind your original comment since the thread starter asked for personal opinions, which yours was, but this evolution comment lacks sense.

IDK, just a question. some people believe in that creationism stuff and dont believe in evolution. i didnt mean to be a smartass or anything.

deep said:
this God is not a being like men, is a modern idea

I believe the writers of what we call the Bible, saw God as a being that created man in his image

"Exodus 31:18 (New American Standard Bible)
New American Standard Bible (NASB)

18 When He had finished speaking with him upon Mount Sinai, He gave Moses (A)the two tablets of the testimony, tablets of stone, (B)written by the finger of God. "

God has a voice and a finger.

There are other mentions of God's face and other man like features throughout the Bible.

Now, I would never thought you would take the Bible literally.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Sure about that? The way you presumingly wrote the question seemed like you did.

if i wanted to be a smartass, id've come up with something better than that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom